Thread: Whitman Coal Mine in Nevada

Default Whitman Coal Mine in Nevada

I ran across an obscure reference to this mine and was wondering if any of you have any history and/or background material on this site.

According to the GNIS, the site was about 7 miles ESE of Dayton, NV (39 15" N, 119 28" W).

Apparently the mine opened sometime in the 1860's but was very short lived. Supposedly, in Dec of 1887, there was talk of reopening the mine.

Any and all info will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Rockcrusher
    110,000 square miles of desert to play in . . . And the government owns 87% of it

Quote Originally Posted by Rockcrusher View Post
    I ran across an obscure reference to this mine and was wondering if any of you have any history and/or background material on this site.

According to the GNIS, the site was about 7 miles ESE of Dayton, NV (39 15" N, 119 28" W).

Apparently the mine opened sometime in the 1860's but was very short lived. Supposedly, in Dec of 1887, there was talk of reopening the mine.

Any and all info will be appreciated.

Thanks

I've never seen references to the name "Whitman" but I have seen early state maps showing coal in that general vacinity!
    Yet Another Bob

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Only info I can find on the area regarding coal production is this:
    "The Eldorado District is located along the Lyon-Carson City county line south of Dayton. The district was first organized in the 1860's to supply lime and coal to the surrounding areas, principally the Comstock Lode.

Coal mining was confined to a deposit located in the vicinity of the junction of Eldorado and Illinois Canyons. The coal proved to posses poor heating qualities and total production amounted to no more than several hundred tons. The coal deposit was not examined." (In this particular record, year 1973. The limestone was what they were interested in)

I entered your directions and it came up due East of Dayton with "prospects" listed south of that exact spot, but no names. The closest prospect is at 39 14' 24" N, 119 27' 58" W, which is North of Hercules Mine.

The Eldorado District shows "prospects" on the map in the area mentioned above in the report. That was also the only time frame that was close to yours. Subsequent coal mining is listed as taking place in the early 1900's in Lyon County.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

Thread Information