Thread: Any GTs close to Ontario, CA?

Default Any GTs close to Ontario, CA?

I am here in Ontario CA for the week for training. I get out of class every day at 3:00, so I am kinda limited to a close radius. I am totally unfamiliar with the area as I mentally classify it as LA and the world largest headache. I was thinking about driving up to Barstow area, but its kinda far (dark by time of arival) and guys I am in class with think its a terrible area. I am really close to the Ontario airport. I also freely admit I can't drive well in Cali traffic, so if anyone has a drive that invovled getting directly out of town I would be thankful. I have a brand new Subaru Forester to drive if roads are an issue. I also will be driving back to Phx friday afternoon and was thinking about taking the 40 back to hit some Route 66 tourist traps, is there anything worth the extra travel time?? Any other alternative routes have any points of interest??

Thanks,
    Jay

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Jay, the only thing that comes to mind is Calico, CA. It's one of those sorta touristy places, a restored/rebuilt silver mining town. We enjoyed taking the mine tour and hearing about the history of the town, there's quite a bit to see and do. There may be other places as well, but when we lived in California, we spent most available time headed out to Arizona. Here's some info and a map. It's pretty easy to get to from Ontario but I'm not sure it would fit in with your time restrictions.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Calico is farther away than Barstow. Calico is at the Yermo turn off, IIRC around 15 miles farther than Barstow.

Other than what's listed on this site, I'm blank myself.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

I made a weak attempt at getting up the mountain to Calico Thursday and it took me till 5:00 just to get to the highway that goes to Barstow. This again reminds me of why I want to move to Nowheresville. I left yesterday (Friday) and decided to take that way home and catch some of Route 66 on the way throught the I-40. I got out of class at 1:00 and was in Barstow by 3:30. From there I pretty much took Route 66 and the way to Needles. Let me be the first to say it wasn't nearly as romantic as I thought it would be. It was hands down the roughest road I have driven on that far. I am kinda glad I had a Subaru, they actaully are in there glory on rough roads. I saw some things I'd like to go back and check out some day. Actually a lot of ghost towns on the Route. The Amboy loop that drops way below the 40 had a lot to see. Amboy itself is kinda cool. Theres a lot of internet chatter that someone is going to reopen 'Roy's' cafe and motel. It is definitely a ghost town. I only saw one house that looked lived in currently. It actually has a similar feel to Eagle Mountain, buildings are too new to be a ghost. The schools at both of these towns are far newer than the one I graduated from!

Jay

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

We tried to follow Route 66 in that same area several years ago but kept losing the road. It wasn't how I imagined it to be either. Here's a link with everything you always wanted to know about Route 66 (and a lot of stuff you didn't)

Thread Information