Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The buddy system

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default The buddy system

I was lying under my dead Sammi tonight (rear end work in process) thinking how disapointed I am in not getting out for a couple of weeks to explore the desert.

Then I started to wonder, how many guests and lurkers might me out there that would love to "get their ghost town boots wet" but can't, for one reason or another.

There was a time I owned a beat up old truck and was afraid of breaking down out there.

Not every one spends their spare time wrenchin' and wranglin' 4x4s in order to get out on the trails. Its no sin to own a Camry.

There might be some of you afraid of snakes or illegals, the hot sun or just getting lost way out there.

We all had to have a first time.

I am proposing a "buddy system" for ghost town newbies.

I'd like to be the first to extend an invitation to anyone in the Tucson or surrounding area that is ill-equipped or otherwise not ready to go ghost town exploring alone.

I am pretty much negotiable on places and times. Despite what I try to portray here, I am pretty ordinary, take few serious risks, and have a deep love of the old West.

If you are one of those lurkers I mentioned above, do a search on my posts and get a flavor for the sites I like to explore, and if that interests you, drop me a private email, and we can go from there. No hard feelings if you change your mind .

I'm asking all my fellow explorers out there to post similar invitations here. Newbies have to start somewhere, and we all know how addictive this hobby can be once you get started!

I know we joke around, sometimes bicker fiercely, but lets find some common ground for the good of the hobby.

I for one would love to respond to more real ghost town postings and fewer turnbullsh*t canyon postings, as fun as they can be sometimes.

The weather is cooling, and its becoming "ghost town season".

Who will be the first to join me inviting a new ghost towner to tag along on the trails?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Definitely a good idea. The title of couch potato ghosttowner has been all too true lately. I have been having my share of vehicle issues and it has made me a little timid to get too far off the beaten path. My simple hub bearing repair has turned into a complete cooling system redo and body lift and steering brace. When and if I ever get my junk trustworthy again the wife and I are game for anything.
    Brian, I was a little up in the air about you to begin with, but I gotta have faith in anyone who carries a single action wheel gun by choice .
    I just don't think I want to be the first to tag along. I want to see if someone else takes the dare and comes back to tell about it .

Jay
    Ghosttowns, not ghosts.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Jay, My husband and I have been on the trail with Brian and we're hoping to do it again in the not too distant future when we fully explore our Bluebird Mine. When you're with Brian, you're VERY well protected!
    Good idea about the buddy system Brian. Problem with us is the Jeep holds only two (along with all the recovery gear stowed where the back seat used to be) We actually prefer two vehicles on the trail, just in case there's a problem in some of these really remote locations (like our Bluebird excursion)

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Buddy system? Isn't that where you throw your buddy to the wolves so you can make haste to live another day?

Anyone in the Vegas area should check out www.nevadabackroaders.com
    and they'll find me and others who do the same thing there.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by brian10x View Post
    I was lying under my dead Sammi tonight (rear end work in process) thinking how disapointed I am in not getting out for a couple of weeks to explore the desert.

Then I started to wonder, how many guests and lurkers might me out there that would love to "get their ghost town boots wet" but can't, for one reason or another.

There was a time I owned a beat up old truck and was afraid of breaking down out there.

Not every one spends their spare time wrenchin' and wranglin' 4x4s in order to get out on the trails. Its no sin to own a Camry.

There might be some of you afraid of snakes or illegals, the hot sun or just getting lost way out there.

We all had to have a first time.

I am proposing a "buddy system" for ghost town newbies.

I'd like to be the first to extend an invitation to anyone in the Tucson or surrounding area that is ill-equipped or otherwise not ready to go ghost town exploring alone.

I am pretty much negotiable on places and times. Despite what I try to portray here, I am pretty ordinary, take few serious risks, and have a deep love of the old West.

If you are one of those lurkers I mentioned above, do a search on my posts and get a flavor for the sites I like to explore, and if that interests you, drop me a private email, and we can go from there. No hard feelings if you change your mind .

I'm asking all my fellow explorers out there to post similar invitations here. Newbies have to start somewhere, and we all know how addictive this hobby can be once you get started!

I know we joke around, sometimes bicker fiercely, but lets find some common ground for the good of the hobby.

I for one would love to respond to more real ghost town postings and fewer turnbullsh*t canyon postings, as fun as they can be sometimes.

The weather is cooling, and its becoming "ghost town season".

Who will be the first to join me inviting a new ghost towner to tag along on the trails?
    XLNT BRIAN ...Just when I was certain all the good ideas were used up, ya come up with another one. Gary's gott'em in Nevada...I think Rocky has something similar in Colorado...a few more from each state should 'bout cover 'em.
    I'd help in CA, if I could guarantee everybody making the round trip, but psychopaths have so much pressure on them!!
    "Whadya mean I missed the turn...., here a$$h*le, TURN THIS!"....THUMP.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    Buddy system? Isn't that where you throw your buddy to the wolves so you can make haste to live another day?

Anyone in the Vegas area should check out www.nevadabackroaders.com
    and they'll find me and others who do the same thing there.
    That's another advantage of the buddy system. Instead of taking a caged canary with you to test the air in an old mine......

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Problem with us is the Jeep holds only two (along with all the recovery gear stowed where the back seat used to be) We actually prefer two vehicles on the trail,

I'll be willing to bet someone reading this has a good 4x4, but , like you, would rather not venture out alone.

Remember newbies-what you may not own you can always rent!

Next time we head to Tucson I'd take you up on that! We've got family down there but it seems such a shame too not get a little ghost towning in while we're there!

Default Ghosttowners

Hey I am new to doing this exploring here in Nevada. A friend of mine and I have been going out everyweekend to different areas of NV. WHat I would like to do is hook up with people who enjoy doing this same thing. I live in Reno and Stan Paher's book is like a text book to me. I have had the honor of meeting Stan recently and he is very knowledgeable about Nevada. Anyway contact me through this thread or at my e-mail teds280z@yahoo.com if you are in the Reno area. I also am not into heavy rock climbing and beating my 4x4 to pieces.

I like the idea, I usualy end up going alone, becuase most of my friends work on weekends, and my girlfirend is terrified of the places I'll try and put my 4 runner.

I usualy go into the Bradshaws Mountains north of Phoenix, and explore mines. But the next few weeks I'm going to explore around globe and Roosevelt Lake.

Thread Information