Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Dominion Mine, Globe, Arizona

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Old Dominion Mine, Globe, Arizona

The Old Dominion Mine in Globe, Arizona originally opened in 1881 and continued operation until 1931 when it ceased operation completely. It was mainly a copper mine with other smaller quantities of ore being removed as new veins were discovered. The mine operated up to 14 levels until water became a problem.
    The mine had a rather infamous place in history when in 1917, a miners strike spread throughout Arizona, beginning at the mines around Bisbee.
    The owners of the Old Dominion had employed quite a few Mexican workers, but when they too decided to participate in the strike, the mine owner hired cowboys and gunmen to "herd" the Mexican workers to an internment camp along the Mexican border where they were kept under the harshest conditions until they agreed to return to work and not participate in the strike. The strike proved fairly successful however, wages and living conditions improved once public outcry had an impact on the mine owners.
    The Old Dominion Mine has been recently "refurbished" and talks are currently underway with the mine owner, BHP Billiton and the city of Globe to open the grounds as a public park. As you can see from the photos, it's been pretty much sterilized and only retains a semblance of its original glory days. There was a big discussion whether to keep the massive headframe in place, but so far, it looks like they'll leave it. I hope so, the mine would be little more than a few buildings and grated adits without it.

Name:  Old Domino stage two.jpg
Views: 5284
Size:  10.3 KB

Name:  Old Dominion Postcard.jpg
Views: 17653
Size:  52.0 KB

Name:  Old Dominion before.jpg
Views: 5576
Size:  13.2 KB

Old Dominion Mine after being "sterilized"
    Name:  Old Dominion Mine 007.jpg
Views: 18512
Size:  73.0 KB
    Last edited by LauraA; 12-21-2006 at 08:13 AM.

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

You used the right word, Laura. Sterilized. Yuck.

Very good post Laura. I will have to take a look at that area. Have you been to it?
    Here is ssome more info on it.
    http://www.geocities.com/~zybt/globe.htm
    http://www.library.arizona.edu/exhib...s/jahover.html
    Last edited by Kelly; 11-02-2006 at 06:16 PM.

Kelly
    Socorro N.M.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

The site isn't opened to the public yet, but yes, we've been there. We find that our gray hair and wrinkles make good admission tickets. We look so elderly and innocent when we totter around with a camera around our necks. Age has its benefits.
    Thanks for the additional info Kelly

One of the side links of the links Kelly posted had some interesting information as well. It talks about the early union days of mining and the heavy-handed tactics used in Bisbee by mine operators. It seems that was the mode of operation for the mine owners of the early 1900s. They even resorted to deportations as a method to get their own way.

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    One of the side links of the links Kelly posted had some interesting information as well. It talks about the early union days of mining and the heavy-handed tactics used in Bisbee by mine operators. It seems that was the mode of operation for the mine owners of the early 1900s. They even resorted to deportations as a method to get their own way.

Thanks Laura, for the old pictures and the links "Great Stuff"

Sheila & Johnnie

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Jes bumpin' along.
    bb.

I don't know Laura, but that pic in the middle sure looks like Miami!

Love your posts!

Andy

Hey Andy! Haven't seen you in ages, hope all is well.
    The pics were all identified as being the Old Dominion Mine, but you could be right. Since the sterilization process has been completed, it's hard to tell what once was.
    Have you heard any details about when they'll be opening Old Dominion for picnics and tourists?

Default Old Dominion

Hi Laura, Yes that is Miami! Everything is back to pretty good! Have been gone for a while! Really enjoy your posts and work! Will try to get out for a visit soon! Take care! Andy

Thread Information