Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Towns Posted

I wish I would have read through this thread years ago! I'm planning on visiting Benton soon, and the links gave me a good idea what I can expect.

THANKS to all of you that have visited my web site. I appreciate the visits.

The third “Tales From the Past” is now posted for your reading enjoyment. Go here and read the entire story. “How to scare a Bear

Having just come back from a trip to Alaska and the Yukon most of what is new will be about those areas. I have provided additional written information about Alaska and the Yukon. For many of us these areas are not easily accessible. I did however manage to slip a hurried trip in for some additional Colorado sites as well.

New Alaska Ghost towns -
    Chicken- Because they did not know how to spell ptarmigan?
    Dyea- A tribute to my father. A town once a rival of Skagway
    Eagle – On the Yukon
    Fort Egbert – a 1400 mile telegraph line?
    Hope – For Gold in Alaska
    The Trail to the Klondike Gold fields- A brief history
    Skagway- The robber that blew himself up? And of course Soapy.
    Sunrise – Only the tombstones to remind us

Yukon Ghost Towns
    Carcross – Donald Trump’s grandfather? Someone died at 126?
    Dawson- Got to go back and detect.
    Roadhouse- every 20 to 30 miles.

Colorado Ghost towns
    Ames – 1st with AC current.
    Bedrock – Nope, I did not see Barney and Wilma.
    Ophir and Ophir Loop – What a setting for a town?
    Paradox – Just for Clay Greathouse- What is this about a beheading?
    Placerville – Nice old General store.
    Priest Not sure about this one.
    Rico – many buildings from the 1880’s and 1890’s

Rocky Mountain Profiles visitors updates and their contributions. You will have to scroll to the bottom of the page to read new comments.
    Caribou – Some history
    Gilman - to be developed? Again?
    Keota – Hart family gathering.
    Nevadaville – Martha Bessie Clark and the general store.
    Russell Gulch – Who was the White Buffalo?
    Turret Colorado – Buy your piece of history
    Idaho Springs – Wants more

Just in time for the fall ghost town hunting season.
    The best Colorado Ghost town Books you can buy – and at a discount. For the Loyal visitors to Rocky Mountain Profiles.

Again THANKS to all of you that have signed my guest book and left comments. Many of you have direct connections to some of the Ghost Towns on the site. Always nice to see that people appreciate their history. I have begun posting some of those comments on the pages.This is a hobby for me so I must admit that seeing so many people getting pleasure from my hobby is very rewarding and quite honestly, pretty humbling.
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

THANKS to all of you that have signed my guest book and leftcomments. Your emails and comments in the guest book make the site moreinteresting for everyone. PLEASE keep them coming.

Finally, a road trip through NM and AZ for someGhost towns. Only posting 12 new this time.

New Mexico

Chloride – Whatone man and one woman can accomplish.

Lake Valley– Where is the lake?

Lincoln – HelloBob

Shakespeare– You want me to wash dishes?

Steins – Thanksbut no thanks

White Oaks –Another Safe

Arizona

Cochise – DangerLurks

Courtland– Where?

Fairbank– Spanish waterhole

FortBowie – Nice hike

Gleeson- Turquoise

Pearce – Wellbuilt jail

RockyMountain Profiles visitors updates and their contributions. You will haveto scroll to the bottom of each page to read new comments.

Boyero CO--old photo andstory

Carson CO--hasa better road.

Gilman CO--Awarning for all, “How did she do that?” and a someone born in Gilman.

Grover CO –Growing up there.

Hugo CO--I missedsome stuff.

Ironton CO--anda story of Milt

KellyNM--Nicholas Stuppi Family

Marble CO--gatesare closed

NevadavilleCO--missing relatives

RussellGulch CO--in the news again, tollgate tavern, Reaching out to the kids of the mountain people.

SummervilleCO - Gone

SummitSprings Battlefield CO--On a bucket list

SummitvilleCO--What a drive

Sunrise AK --More to see

Unionville NV--Fishing

Wild HorseCO--relatives write in

AND

Just in time for the ghost town hunting season.

The best Colorado Ghost town Books you can buy – and at a discount. For the Loyal visitors to Rocky Mountain Profiles. Also a discount is available for any other books on theColumbine ink site by using the promo code “Fairplay” in the discount line.

Again THANKS to all of you that have visited my web site. Iappreciate the visit. This is a hobby for me so I must admit that seeing so many people gettingpleasure from my hobby is very rewarding and quite honestly, pretty humbling.

MikeSinnwell

http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

“Politicians are like Diapers. They both need changing often andfor the same reason. “ -- Mark Twain

Rocky

Lake Valley: Where is the lake?

The lake at Lake Valley is located approximately 3 miles north of the current townsite. The last resident, Pedro "Pete" Martinez and his wife (for the life of me I cannot think of her name at the moment), left Lake Valley in 1994, relocated to Deming, NM, some 40 miles southwest and he died in 1997. He was buried in the Mountain View cemetery in Deming.

My screen name LV Caretaker means Lake Valley Caretaker, as I lived in the town from April 2007-April 2009.
    Last edited by LV Caretaker; 04-17-2011 at 04:23 AM.
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by LV Caretaker View Post
    Lake Valley: Where is the lake?

The lake at Lake Valley is located approximately 3 miles north of the current townsite. The last resident, Pedro "Pete" Martinez and his wife (for the life of me I cannot think of her name at the moment), left Lake Valley in 1994, relocated to Deming, NM, some 40 miles southwest and he died in 1997. He was buried in the Mountain View cemetery in Deming.

My screen name LV Caretaker means Lake Valley Caretaker, as I lived in the town from April 2007-April 2009.
    Thanks for the comments. I appreciate them. I was a little nervous about this site before I got to it. I was not expecting to find as much standing as I saw. It was a pleasant surprise. This site on the web has a brief history but what I found most interesting was the stories posted on the site. Especially the one about Sadie Orchard. http://www.vivanewmexico.com/ghosts/lvtour/history.html Glad I made the trip to Lake Valley. Spent several hours there and enjoyed every minute.

Rocky

Both my husband and I think Lake Valley is a ghosttown jewel. We've had a few visitors compare the buildings and townsite to Bodie. I've never been to Bodie, yet from what I've seen and read of Bodie, that is indeed a high honor.

Thanks for the link from Viva NM. I had forgotten about that link. It helped to remind me of Savina Martinez's name too.
    Kathy

Wow I haven't seen this thread before. I need to spend weeks looking up all the info in it.
    I'm not a Republican
    I'm not a Democrat
    I'm an American

and I want my Country back

It has been years since I have been to the forum. I got a notice from someone today that my site was not working. I decided to check it out. He was correct. Any of the old links to my site in the forum go no where. It did not take long for me to realize it was due to the fact I was forced to reconstruct my site using newer technology. So in case any of you are interested you can try some of these links out from a recent update.

First and foremost – THANKS to all the viewers , contributors and followers of the web site. I appreciate your support and I especially appreciate all the good stories, photos and information you have provided for the site.

As numerous changes to the site have been made you may want to refresh pages sometimes to get the latest data. I also have the guest book working again so feel free to participate. My mailing lists got destroyed in my recent PC crash so if I sent you a duplicate let me know. Or if I sent it to you and you no longer want updates please let me know. Lastly, if you were expecting a response from me and did not get it the reason is probably because I lost emails as well. Sorry, just please resend.

A few new adds to tales from the past – The mean Grandpa builds a hill or perhaps my question about extortion.

Colorado
    Amache CO – Historical site
    Lycan CO – A viewer provides some details for the mystery

This note from New Mexico
    Sunday March 6th 2016 --- Gleeson & Pearce jails are NOW OPEN --- I thought you might want to put it on the pages on your wonderful site. They are both planning on being open the first Saturday of every month. I was just there this past Saturday & they were indeed open. Here is a link to information.
    http://gleesonarizona.com

Rocky

Thread Information