Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Courtland, Az

Default Courtland, Az

I first visited Courtland in 2004. I recently visited this last summer. The site now has no tresspassing signs up and a fence as well. I also saw a small travel trailer parked up the hill. What is up, is the site now off limits?

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Me View Post
    I first visited Courtland in 2004. I recently visited this last summer. The site now has no tresspassing signs up and a fence as well. I also saw a small travel trailer parked up the hill. What is up, is the site now off limits?
    I was there a couple of weeks ago. The jail is still accessible, as is the area around it, and across the street. Up the trail a bit is a no trespassing sign, but you can easily walk around it. (see picture) and a few others as well. Most of the areas are still accessible if you sneak in quietly.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I had thought about going around the gate. The trailer made me think twice. The first time I visited I never drove far enough down the road to get to the jail, so I explored the area you have in the picture. If it wasn't for the gate, on my second visit, I probably would have never driven up the road and found the jail. Thanks for the reply, I hope to visit Courtland again in 2007.

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Since we are on the subject, I've been scouring the web looking for the original city plan, or old photos from the era.

I'm trying to find out exactly where the theatre, the car dealership, etc were, as I'd like to explore there.

If anyone reading this has seen older photos of the city of Courtland, please contact me. Many thanks!

Theres not many pictures out there,but I did find one.

I also have a good sat photo if you want that too.

I also found this posted on a site while I was looking for info.

Description

Courtland was once a booming copper town named for Courtland Young, a mining engineer. There are two buildings and a few ruins left to see, as well as one single resident who doesn't like visitors.

Ok one more time........ If you have ebay there is a guy selling a 52 1/2" x 12 1/2'' photo.( the same picture i posted above). For $34.95.

Thanks, Wildweewee.

Thats the best photo I have seen yet. If I could just locate the jail in that picture, I would be all set, since it is the easiest building to identify right now.

Yes, I would be delighted to see your sat. picture.

I promise to save you a Stevens-Duryea hubcap if I get lucky!

heres the link: http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v...&scene=5700128

The link takes you to microsoft virtual earth.

Thanks, Weewee! I downloded the 3d software, which helps a lot, but it still lacks enough detail to make out landmarks, for me, at least.

I guess that much detail is reserved for military use only, or so I hear.

Thread Information