Thread: Hello from SW Kansas!

Default Hello from SW Kansas!

Hello Folks! My name is J .a. .s. .o. .n. R. y. m. a. n. I live in a small town called Pierceville between Garden City and Dodge City, KS.

I have always had an interest in recent history and ghost towns. In fact, I live in one!

For my first post I'd like to tell you about a nearby ghost town... Ravanna.

According to Daniel Fitzgerald, author of Ghost Towns of Kansas- A traveler's Guide and Faded Dreams- More Ghost Towns of Kansas, Ravanna lost the battle for town seat to Eminence. Both towns wound up to be in a smaller area than what qualified as a county, so they were annexed into Finney County where I live.

Here are some images from current day Ravanna...

Last edited by takurpic; 12-19-2006 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Added characters to my name so I won't come up in the search engines.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Thumbs up

Nice pics, and welcome to the board.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Jason: Great to see a Boomer join with an old Sooner on this board. Great pics and history. Notice your hometown is not listed on this site as a GT. Is it? Anyway, pics of Ravallla remind me of Hamilton, Nv., Gary's area, if not mistaken. Those folks in the SW are a little iffy. Don't reallly understand when those of us from God's country come slummin' in CA, AZ, NV, UT, NM, CO, etc. We just can't get enough of slummin'.....OJ

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Jason, Great photos. Welcome to the forum! We look forward to more pictures and posts from your neck of the woods.

Thanks everyone!

Regarding Pierceville's status as a ghost town... I got that from Fitzgerald's definition of a ghost town being a shadow of it's former self.

In 1886, Pierceville had 3 lumber yards, real estate offices, a restaurant, hotels, harness business, hardware stores, a doctor, a drugist, a blacksmith, and a surveyor. The population was around 400 and the town covered 6x9 city blocks stretching from the Arkansas River to what's currently north of the Sante Fe Railroad.

Today, there are two grain elevators, a soda machine with a newspaper stand down the block, and me- the photographer withtout a studio (internet is a great thing). The population has grown because of a nearby subdivision, but the original town is probably less than 150 people (if that).

FWIW... my son attends school in the next county over in a town called Ingalls. It's also listed as a ghost town. Ingalls lost the county seat to Cimarron back in the day. From what I've read, these 'county seat wars' were quite common.

I'll post the Ingalls story in another thread soon. Maybe Eminence too- the town Ravanna lost the county seat to.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Thumbs up

We're looking forward to reading a lot more from you!

Jason.....Thanks a lot for your pics......I really enjoyed them and hope to see more of them....Speedy

Thread Information