Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Livingston, Arizona

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Livingston, Arizona

We spent a couple of days exploring the area of the former town of Livingston, AZ once located at what is now the SE end of Roosevelt Lake.
    Livingston although in existence earlier, got a post office in 1896 but it closed in 1907 when it became apparent that the town would cease to exist once Roosevelt Dam was completed and the flooding to form Roosevelt Lake took place. There are no structural remains, except for vague outlines of buildings and some piles of timbers. The only remnants we found were done by metal detecting the area. When the level of Roosevelt Lake rises, the area the town once occupied disappears under the water. Livingston consisted of a small general store/post office, several ranches and some homes. The area is closed to all motorized vehicle traffic because there's some endangered bird supposedly ground nesting in the area.....wonder where the bird goes when the lake level rises?

These remains were all we were able to find metal detecting
    Name:  Livingston 007.jpg
Views: 1341
Size:  64.7 KB
    Not much left of the town of Livingston, Arizona
    Name:  Livingston 010.jpg
Views: 1321
Size:  42.3 KB

Name:  Livingston 011.jpg
Views: 1491
Size:  46.3 KB
    This is where Livingston once stood. When Roosevelt Lake's waters rise, this area is under water.
    Name:  A-Cross Gypsum, Livingston, Four peaks 002.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  45.9 KB
    Last edited by LauraA; 01-02-2007 at 11:12 AM.

Another great story and pics,
    Thanks Laura.

Kelly
    Socorro N.M.

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

[quote=LauraA;24431]We spent a couple of days exploring the area of the former town of Livingston, AZ once located at what is now the SE end of Roosevelt Lake.

Good job, Laura. It looks like from your pictures there may be lots of goodies still left to be found.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of of my Tucson buddies has been informed of possible undisturbed remains in the Aravaipa area.

I've been there a few years ago, and I'd say its a distinct possibility.

It might be an interesting area to research. If you happen to look for it, its near Klondyke.

Talking

wow there is some pretty scarry stuff in there. lucky you didn't run any of that over in your jeep or Hubby would not be happy changing the tire. Nice find.
    High Desert Drifter
    Ghost Town Explorations
    www.ghosttownexplorer.com

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by brian10x View Post

Of of my Tucson buddies has been informed of possible undisturbed remains in the Aravaipa area.
    I've been there a few years ago, and I'd say its a distinct possibility.
    It might be an interesting area to research. If you happen to look for it, its near Klondyke.
    Thanks Brian, I'll do some research into the possibilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Desert Drifter View Post
    wow there is some pretty scarry stuff in there. lucky you didn't run any of that over in your jeep or Hubby would not be happy changing the tire. Nice find.
    The area is closed to all motorized vehicles, we had to hike...probably a good thing.

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Smile Livingston Az.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    We spent a couple of days exploring the area of the former town of Livingston, AZ once located at what is now the SE end of Roosevelt Lake.
    Livingston although in existence earlier, got a post office in 1896 but it closed in 1907 when it became apparent that the town would cease to exist once Roosevelt Dam was completed and the flooding to form Roosevelt Lake took place. There are no structural remains, except for vague outlines of buildings and some piles of timbers. The only remnants we found were done by metal detecting the area. When the level of Roosevelt Lake rises, the area the town once occupied disappears under the water. Livingston consisted of a small general store/post office, several ranches and some homes. The area is closed to all motorized vehicle traffic because there's some endangered bird supposedly ground nesting in the area.....wonder where the bird goes when the lake level rises?

These remains were all we were able to find metal detecting
    Name:  Livingston 007.jpg
Views: 1341
Size:  64.7 KB
    Not much left of the town of Livingston, Arizona
    Name:  Livingston 010.jpg
Views: 1321
Size:  42.3 KB

Name:  Livingston 011.jpg
Views: 1491
Size:  46.3 KB
    This is where Livingston once stood. When Roosevelt Lake's waters rise, this area is under water.

Name:  A-Cross Gypsum, Livingston, Four peaks 002.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  45.9 KB
    Greaat pictures Laura,

Just checkng in. After being absent for couple days. But do have a note!.... from our siblings.

Johnnie & Sheila

Welcome back Johnnie & Sheila, hope you both have a Happy, Healthy 2007!

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Smile Happy New Year

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
    Greaat pictures Laura,

Just checkng in. After being absent for couple days. But do have a note!.... from our siblings.

Johnnie & Sheila
    'Happy New Year" to you Laura, and Everyone else on Ghosttowns.com

Sheila & Johnnie

Thumbs up

Great place, this. Beautiful photos also

PS. I'm new in this forum. Excuse me for my english, i'm Italian

So long.

Thanks for the report, Laura. I'm a Ghosttowns.com newbie and a recent move-in to Arizona but I'll have to keep an eye on the website and plan out some potential ghost-towning trips around here.

Thread Information