Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Mabee Mines-Washougal WA

Hello all,
    I have spent much time exploring Mabee Mines Rd and McCloskey Creek Rd, and everything in between. When attempting to find information about the area on Google I came across this thread. Since then I have been reading everything I can find about mines in Clark and Skamania counties, and have mapped the locations to most of them. I would like to visit them (Mabee mines in particular) so if anybody has any plans of visiting I would be very interested in joining the trek!

-Luke

Hi Luke,
    I can't believe summer is about gone, and we haven't been able to schedule a trip up to any of the mines. Has anyone made it up to them this year? Maybe over Labor Day weekend? Any takers?

Kirk

I've been waiting for someone to schedule a trip to the mines all summer.

Well. I am trying to keep Labor Day open to go check out some mines. I am not sure I can commit to the Maybee Mines, but maybe the ones which are near Prospector Creek. Thoughts?
    Kirk

I attempted to find Mabee Mines yesterday, with no such luck. It didn't help any that the canopy of trees seemed to be interfering with the accuracy of my GPS.

Some months back I went to the library and looked at the book Across Rushing Waters, and made copies of the maps they showed in there. I cross referenced those maps with Google Earth and was able to approximately pinpoint the locations of the various mines in the area, assuming the maps are correct. My records show that Mabee Mines should be right about here, right?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...27874&t=h&z=16

I question the location shown on the map for a couple of reasons... one is that I hiked all that area and didn't find it (although it's tough terrain and I could have easily missed it). Another is that it took me around 3 hours or so to get down and back up again, not the 8 hours described by others (I'm 25 years old and in pretty good shape, so I don't know if that's a factor). A friend who accompanied me on the trip went to work and told about our unfruitful hike, and she was told by a coworker who had been there that it is indeed a MUCH longer hike than we experienced.

Any guidance from people who have been there?

Hi, First off, if you went in from the top, you passed pretty close to us yesterday. We were up Miner's Creek which is off Copper Creek. You drove just a bit above us. I bet one of the few vehicles we heard were yours. In fact, we saw a bunch of drifting marks heading back to Sunset Falls campground. Any chance those were yours? It looked like fun!

Yes, something is wrong. Where you have the pin located in the map is quite a ways short of the Maybee mine. You would need to go down stream almost to where the Creek (Shirt Creek) meets Bluebird Creek. It looks to me like you got a bit less than half way there.

I took some pictures of the Miner's creek mines on my phone. I am going to try to upload some of them tonight.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Shirt Creek Valley is the one just East of Bluebird valley, the one you explored.

You can view the route that I took last time here.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...3c594&t=h&z=12
    Last edited by kvangeld; 09-07-2010 at 09:04 PM.

Here are some of the relevant pictures I took yesterday.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jvangeld/MiningPictures#

Yes, I went in from the top, and if I drove near you you definitely heard me. I drive a diesel pickup with stacks, so people tend to hear me before they see me. Drifting would have been fun, although I learned some years ago that if you do that you had better be prepared to be replacing tires from the sharp rocks, so I try to avoid wheel spin/skip/slide. 35" tires are NOT cheap to replace.

I do see now that I was in the wrong canyon, and I can see how that would be when I reevaluated the map from Across Rushing Waters, as it is hand drawn and quite low detail in comparison to what is available in this day and age. Just this morning I was actually given GPS coordinates by someone who requested that I not share them on here, as apparently more and more trash is being discarded there and more and more artifacts are disappearing. I know EXACTLY where I'm going now. :-)

Hi, I'm new to exploring mines but I live in Washougal and I'm EXTREMELY interested in exploring some mines and related sites. I ran across this thread last year and have just now gotten around to making a post. If anyone is planning to go back up and explore within the next month let me know, a friend and I would really like to meet up with some experienced guys (kvangeld?), especially if you have a gps so I don't go and get lost on my own. I have explored the dam that has been dynamited on Mabee Mines Rd. that the steel pipe that runs along the road starts at. Also, last night I was doing some research on Mabee Mines and came across a property listing that is the site of the 1940s Cottrell power house that powered Camas and Washougal in the early 1900s. The address is 3101 Mabee Mines Road and from what I understand the building is still intact with some of the hydro generating equipment still inside, the building resides somewhere on the 28 acres at that address. You can find pictures easily on many realty websites buy using keywords "Cottrell powerhouse Mabee Mines". Does that have any relation to the old dam and steel pipe on Mabee Mines Road? Anyways, I'm excited to hear more info on these and I'm planning to visit a few before summer is over.

-Nick

Thread Information