Hello All,
I'm new here, i've been reading this thread and have decided to make a 3 day camping trip in the area of maybee Mine, and try and locate it and other mines in the area of shirt creek / bluebird creek. some quick questions to those that have been there before (without revealing to much info) is it better to come at the mine sight from the north or the east? i've located an old road that should get me within about 1.5 - 2 miles east of the mine (if my maps are accurate...) I've lived in washougal for almost 10 years and never knew the history of the place before, so i am dying to go see some of these old sites, also is the upper cotterll dam powerhouse still standing? if so is it on private property? has anyone been up to it or Maybee mine recently (this year?). and most important, is there anyone who would be interested in going with me to try and find maybee mine? the planned trip dates are Aug. 22 - 24...
i've for a big 4x4 and at east 1 other friend with a 4x4, so we are hoping to drive to within a few miles and hoof it in, we'd like to visit as many historical sites in the area as possible within those 3 days. but like i said i'm a noob, and i know nothing about the area. only thing i've heard is that a few years ago there was a guy (with a shotgun) who was trying to re open a mine (last chance mine?) and some one almost got shot when they stumbled upon him... and reading about commercial mining?