Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Mabee Mines-Washougal WA

Hi Kirk,

Well where do I start, I am in posession of 'across rushing waters' read it from front to back many, many times, referred to it many ,many times, been to alot of places in the book. I've hiked the three miles (from the lower end of) the maybe mines, looked for the yellow jacket mine (didn't find it), been to the last chance mine, skamania mine after dynamited. I even know the history of the mouse that burned down years ago between the two mines

Quote Originally Posted by sspitka View Post
    Hi Kirk,

Well where do I start, I am in posession of 'across rushing waters' read it from front to back many, many times, referred to it many ,many times, been to alot of places in the book. I've hiked the three miles (from the lower end of) the maybe mines, looked for the yellow jacket mine (didn't find it), been to the last chance mine, skamania mine after dynamited. I even know the history of the mouse that burned down years ago between the two mines
    Hi Sspitka,

That's a good start. While at the Mabee Mines did you go to the Bluebird Mines? How many times have you visited the Mabee Mines? How long ago?

As far as the Yellow Jacket Mine, do you mean the one that is supposed to be a bit East and North from the Mabee Mines? If so, I have tried to find it also, but was unsuccessful. The same goes for the Silver Creek Mine/s.

I would be interested in hearing the history of the burned down house. I first started going up there when it was still intact. I was disappointed to find it had burned down and hoped it wasn't due to arson....

Was the Skamania Mine dinamited? I was under the impression that it collapsed from water erosion from the top. I am interested in hearing more.

Thanks,

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by kvangeld View Post
    Hi Sspitka,

That's a good start. While at the Mabee Mines did you go to the Bluebird Mines? How many times have you visited the Mabee Mines? How long ago?

As far as the Yellow Jacket Mine, do you mean the one that is supposed to be a bit East and North from the Mabee Mines? If so, I have tried to find it also, but was unsuccessful. The same goes for the Silver Creek Mine/s.

I would be interested in hearing the history of the burned down house. I first started going up there when it was still intact. I was disappointed to find it had burned down and hoped it wasn't due to arson....

Was the Skamania Mine dinamited? I was under the impression that it collapsed from water erosion from the top. I am interested in hearing more.

Thanks,

Kirk

Hi Kirk,

I've been to the maybe mines twice both a rememberable experience, tryed looking for the bluebird didn't find it. also shell white mine, the yellow jacket mine should be a little east of where shirt creek comes in blue boy creek, haven't found it either.

will add more later.

Hi Sspitka,

Thanks,

Kirk

Hi Kirk,

To continue my story,

In the 80's there was a log cabin that was there and the guy that owned it, his name was cameron blagg, he made his living as an artist, painter. On how we meet was through my dad which he was in 2 way radio, and cameron blagg wanted my dad to install a radio at his house, and we became really good friends. Cameron lived there for I don't know how many years with his wife and two or three kids don't remember. That's how I know the surrounding area.

Just up the river was a man made dam that cameron built witch he had got running water from.........................From the story that cameron told my dad and I that the mine up the road was dynamited, I don't know any other history about thast mine other then that...If I remember right there is a third mine on that road right along side of the road from what cameron used to tell us but it has caved in..

Anyway getting back over to maybe mine valley I've tryed looking for the yellow jacket mine didn't find it. haven't been to the shell white or the silver creek mine. There is one other mine I know about farther up the washougal river zinc creek mine on zinc creek but ran out of time in the day and never went back up there, have a pretty good idea where it's at.

Do you or anyone on this blog every get together for meetings or coffee of whatever about your storys. I sure would like to get together sometime and exchange storys, getting me excited talking about these mines again.

Quote Originally Posted by sspitka View Post
    Hi Kirk,

To continue my story,

In the 80's there was a log cabin that was there and the guy that owned it, his name was cameron blagg, he made his living as an artist, painter. On how we meet was through my dad which he was in 2 way radio, and cameron blagg wanted my dad to install a radio at his house, and we became really good friends. Cameron lived there for I don't know how many years with his wife and two or three kids don't remember. That's how I know the surrounding area.

Just up the river was a man made dam that cameron built witch he had got running water from.........................From the story that cameron told my dad and I that the mine up the road was dynamited, I don't know any other history about thast mine other then that...If I remember right there is a third mine on that road right along side of the road from what cameron used to tell us but it has caved in..

Anyway getting back over to maybe mine valley I've tryed looking for the yellow jacket mine didn't find it. haven't been to the shell white or the silver creek mine. There is one other mine I know about farther up the washougal river zinc creek mine on zinc creek but ran out of time in the day and never went back up there, have a pretty good idea where it's at.

Do you or anyone on this blog every get together for meetings or coffee of whatever about your storys. I sure would like to get together sometime and exchange storys, getting me excited talking about these mines again.
    Yes, I have got together two times to share stories so far. Each time was with a diferent person from this thread. I think they were valuable for all parties. I would enjoy sharing stories with you. Are you free between Christmas and New Years? We have met at the Camas library in the past.

I know some of the mines are labeled inconsistently on maps. I have always considered the Yellow Jacket mine to be what I believe to be the last mine beyond the Skamania and Last Chance Mines. It is right beside the road near the end of the trail (if I am naming it correctly), and it may have been dynamited a bit inside if I remember from about 4 years ago.

I have never heard about the Shell White mine. Where is it supposed to be located.

I believe it is the Zinc Creek mine which we were also unable to find due to a lack of time.

When you say shirt creek mines are you referring to the mines on the north side of the valley across from the Mabee mine? Or a diferent one?

Thanks,

Kirk

Yes, I have got together two times to share stories so far. Each time was with a diferent person from this thread. I think they were valuable for all parties. I would enjoy sharing stories with you. Are you free between Christmas and New Years? We have met at the Camas library in the past.

I know some of the mines are labeled inconsistently on maps. I have always considered the Yellow Jacket mine to be what I believe to be the last mine beyond the Skamania and Last Chance Mines. It is right beside the road near the end of the trail (if I am naming it correctly), and it may have been dynamited a bit inside if I remember from about 4 years ago.

I have never heard about the Shell White mine. Where is it supposed to be located.

I believe it is the Zinc Creek mine which we were also unable to find due to a lack of time.

When you say shirt creek mines are you referring to the mines on the north side of the valley across from the Mabee mine? Or a diferent one?

Thanks,

Kirk

Hi Kirk,

Yes I can be free betwwen christmas & new years, My wife I think knows where the camas library is, she lived in camas for a while. Yes it could be the yellow jacket and that could be why it was dynomited. The shell white mine should be up blue boy creek past shirt creek some where.

Awesome. I sent you a personal message with my email address so we can connect up next week.

As far as the Shell Creek mine, I am wondering if that is south of Maybee on what I've seen called BlueBird creek. If so, we found 3 or 4 mines along there. We were able to get into a few of them, but they were in pretty bad shape. But I remember mining cart tracks out in front of the mines that were still in pretty good shape. We had to climb up past a waterfall to get to them.

Were you able to find the collapsed Maybee Mines? We could locate the one on the south side of the creek, but the north side wasn't as easy to identify.

I look forward to sharing stories. I will bring some of my maps and documents.

Kirk

Hi Kirk,

What was the name of that other book, mt. st helens something, something. I want to try to find the book and read it

Thanks, Scott

Hi,

The book is called "St. Helens and Washougal Mining Districts" I believe. We found it at the downtown Vancouver library and copied the pages I showed you. I like the very descriptive write ups about each of the main mines around Silver Star Mtn. It sure gave us a big case of "mining fever" since it was about this time of the year that we found the book. So all we could do was dream about the mines and work on plans to locate them.....

Take care,
    Kirk

Some excerpts from that book are available from the Cascades Volcano Observatory website. Unfortunately, I haven't found any of the mine diagrams yet.

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Glossary/M...resources.html

Thread Information