Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Mabee Mines-Washougal WA

Hello, i also (along with my freind Nicholas C above), We have been researching the mines in the shirt creek valley area for the past couple days and hope to possiby undergo a expedition to these sites, blue bird and mabee mines, I came across a book my dad hab published in 1977 called "St. Helens and Washougal mining districts of the southern Cascades of Washington" has anyone here heard of it? It has very detailed maps and descriptions of the mines around the area. I am also interested in the copper creek mines and the site of Copper city that burned, is it near the "Copper creek gold area" as labled on google earth?

Yep the dam and pipe supplied that powerhouse. We always called it the McCloskey Creek Powerhouse.

Hey Luke, I am sure I heard you. It sounded kind of like a log truck but different. I wondered what it was when I heard it. Also, I know how easy it is to get confused up there. The first time we went to find the Maybee mines, we took the Silver Creek Valley by mistake. Spent all day trying to figure out where we went wrong. We didn't have very good maps at the time.

Luke and Nick. So when are each of you going to make your next attempt to find the Maybee mines? I have a busy Fall ahead of me, but may be able to break free. BTW, it is a brutal hike back out if you go out the top. The hillside feels like it is vertical. And it is kinda loose like climbing a sand dune, so it is a killer getting out. The one and only time I went in and out from the top, it took me about an hour to get down and about 5 hours getting out. The last time it took us a good two hours getting down to the mines, but we went out the bottom like the drawing shows.

I look forward to hearing your plans!

Kirk
    Last edited by kvangeld; 09-08-2010 at 09:48 PM.

I plan to try again on the weekend of the 18th. Assuming that the soil is similar to Blue Bird Valley, the climb back up shouldn't be too much more difficult than what I have already experienced. It is heavily vegetated (it would have been nice if it wasn't quite so heavy in some areas), so although the soil was loose and the incline was steep, traction was pretty good. From what I can see the terrain seems to be similar in the 2 valleys.

Oh, and the "log truck but different" that you heard I can almost guarantee was me!

Pictures from Labor Day

A couple of the many views on the way up:

Shirt Creek Valley - Took pics because we parked at the top of it, believing that the next one down was actually Shirt Creek Valley.

A rock face in Bluebird Creek Valley:

The top of a small waterfall on Bluebird Creek:

Me:

A front U-joint came apart, so I made a rope but stripping up a towel to tie the front driveshaft up to prevent it from catching on anything. I didn't really need 4x4 for any of the roads, it just increases control and prevents wheel skip, thus saving tires:

Quote Originally Posted by Jon/M View Post
    I came across a book my dad hab published in 1977 called "St. Helens and Washougal mining districts of the southern Cascades of Washington" has anyone here heard of it? It has very detailed maps and descriptions of the mines around the area.
    Yes, I made copies of the applicable information from that book and from Across Rushing Waters. Both can be found at Fort Vancouver Regional Library for reference ONLY, not for check out. I have put all pages that I copied out of both books in PDF form.

http://rapidshare.com/files/418110041/Mines.rar

There are some good pictures of the mines (Mabee mines in particular) while they were still operational. Some good history in these books.

Me and Nick are about to head up to the McClosky creek area to explore artifacts in the area. We will take pictures of anything we find.

Thread Information