Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Mabee Mines-Washougal WA

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Even with a broken U-joint, it still looks as though you had a good time! Really nice views of the area too, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to someone finding the mines here....good luck to all who search!

Hey Jon, That book was a huge help when we first started looking for mines back in the mid 80's. Is your dad still alive? It sure would be great to sit down with him and chat.

There are a number of mines along Copper Creek and it's tributaries. I know I have been to at least 9 in that area. The Copper City Mine is the longest of them at about 250 feet, if I remember correctly. It is just down stream from the vehicle bridge that crosses Copper Creek. I believe Copper City was somewhere around the bridge. This is one of the easiest mines to get too.

Thanks for the input!

Kirk

Hey Luke,

Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing. We just might be able to get up there ourselves on the 18th! I know I have a couple of boys that are lobbying me to go!

Kirk

I am only 19, so my dad is very much still alive, im not sure where he got the book, but it seems to have been photo copied from a og book at one point. ONe thing my dad did mention is some of the mines over the edge of the windy road once you get over the skamania mines bridge, he said there is some holes and foundations of small buildings "ruins" if you will. Is this the general area of the 3000ft deep mine shaft you talked about?

On another note me and Nick C ventured to the Cotrell power house, im sure many of the people on this thread have been there. I was actually suprised at the amount of intact machinery and other loose artifacts. We found directions on a reality website and made a rough sketch of the computer and went from there, Parked in front of the locked gate and took the old original road down about 2 miles to the powerhouse. We took lots of pictures of the turbines and some of the delapidated foot bridge that still spans the Washougal River. On the way back we opted to follow the power lines road directly straight up to the gate where we were parked, it saved us probably 40 mins of walking, but holy **** for guys our age in good physical shape the switchbacks were not for the faint hearted, i was dripping sweat all over not even half way up. If you have a enduro or some other capable atv or 4x4 the power line route is definatly a time saver, its about 150 feet before the locked gate on the left.

My computer is having problems uploading the pics from the powerhouse right now, but nick might post them tonight.

Next up, camping expedition to Mabee mines and bluebird hopefully. Possibly next week if the weather coperates. Anyone else planning a expedition up there anytime soon?

Oh by the way sorry if i confused anyone when i said " i found a book my dad had published in 1977" i just meant he physically had it in his possesion, haha, should have put a comma in there.

So Jon and I hiked down to the Cottrell/McCloskey Creel powerhouse today. Not the most difficult hike getting there, about 1 1/2 I'm guessing taking the old road down there, after about maybe a mile, or little over a mile, the road starts to get a little over grown and then stops immediately at a wall of blackberries. There is a trail bypassing around this and then leads back to the old road getting closer to the building. On the way back up, we decided to take the extremely steep way which was probably 3/4 and took about half an hour versus the hour-ish hike down the road.

Its really neat to see how intact the building is, does anybody know what year it was closed? Its obvious that other people have been there and camped and had fires inside of it, though, luckily the other visitors didn't leave trash and destroy too much over the years. Pictures soon to come soon of the powerhouse and remnants of the foot bridge.

Anyone going up to some mines anytime soon, post up. We plan on exploring the mines near Skamania Mines road next.

You could have saved yourself quite a bit of walking if you had a 4x4. The steep powerline road is easy work for a 4x4, but is too steep to climb back up (or descend in a controlled manner) in a 2wd. If you take a right at the bottom of the hill, as you found out, it takes you back up to Mabee Mines Rd on the other side of the gate. Another entrance onto these roads is through the woods on the North side of the McCloskey Creek Rd gate, although its a steep muddy climb coming out. 4x4 is a must here as well, and a spotter is recommended to help navigate you through the trees.

Before anybody goes ape crazy because I'm telling about how to bypass gates, realize that there is actually an open way in from the back, and can be accessed via the East end of Washougal River Road, it is a LONG LONG detour though. The Mabee Mines Rd/McCloskey Creek Rd gates were closed and locked in late November/early December of 2007 and have been ever since. I don't know who is responsible or why, but it seems to be just to keep the general public out, as they don't seem to be trying too hard to keep the real woodsmen out.

I wish I had a 4x4, but the powerline road I thought would have been questionable for even a sturdy 4x4 just because of the insane steepness of it. That road is definitely not something my fwd 81 VW rabbit pickup could handle haha, how do you get in from the McCloskey Creek gate? I thought it looked like the road kept on going past the powerhouse but I couldn't tell because it looked kind of patchy, also; where is the wrr entrance? Around the location of the building, the road is on the other side of the river right?

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by 9812vCTD View Post
    You could have saved yourself quite a bit of walking if you had a 4x4. The steep powerline road is easy work for a 4x4, but is too steep to climb back up (or descend in a controlled manner) in a 2wd. If you take a right at the bottom of the hill, as you found out, it takes you back up to Mabee Mines Rd on the other side of the gate. Another entrance onto these roads is through the woods on the North side of the McCloskey Creek Rd gate, although its a steep muddy climb coming out. 4x4 is a must here as well, and a spotter is recommended to help navigate you through the trees.

Before anybody goes ape crazy because I'm telling about how to bypass gates, realize that there is actually an open way in from the back, and can be accessed via the East end of Washougal River Road, it is a LONG LONG detour though. The Mabee Mines Rd/McCloskey Creek Rd gates were closed and locked in late November/early December of 2007 and have been ever since. I don't know who is responsible or why, but it seems to be just to keep the general public out, as they don't seem to be trying too hard to keep the real woodsmen out.

Hi there, Today, my wife and daughter and I hiked down to the cottrell powerhouse, via the power lines, didn't walk quit far enough. At the bottom of the hill turn right goes back up to the main road beyond the gates (which is not locked). we made a left at the bottom of the powerlines went probably 1/2 mile further them turned back.. now you mentioned in your thread that there are other excess road in to the powerhouse from the north side of the McCloskey creek road, and the east end of the washougal river rd. ?

McCloskey Creek Rd and Washougal River Road can get you access to the general gated area. There are roads that will loop Mabee Mines Rd and McCloskey Creek Rd together, but it's about a 10 mile loop. There are lots of roads that criss cross, so it's tough to find. I recommend following them on Google maps. Once again, the way in from Washougal River Rd is a WAY WAY long detour! As far as I know, there is no way out off of the road that goes to the powerhouse besides the one you came in on. I have only been part way down to it, but now that I find that the powerhouse is still there I plan on going to it and seeing how far the road goes in the near future.

Yeah, I don't think that an '81 Rabbit Pickup would be a good idea, however I can guarantee you that just about any 4x4 will make it up power line rd. When I had truck issues and lost 4 wheel drive and couldn't make it up the hill, my friend came up to help in his 2000 Ford Ranger (completely stock, including tires) and was able to climb back out despite a heavy rainfall that moved in.

Thread Information