Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Mabee Mines-Washougal WA

Hi Kirk, good to hear from you. Yes I followed the creek, but considered following one of the ridge lines. The West one (Shirt Creek runs North and South btw) has a lot of vertical rock faces on it, so that one is probably a no go. Maybe next time I will take your recommended route. Is the underbrush on the ridge thick? Is it a tough fight?
    I had a few things come up on Saturday morning so I actually didnít start hiking from my truck until 11:30am. I had planned on being up there around 2 hours prior, but that just didnít happen. Yeah, I went by myself, against the begging of my friends. I have done a lot of extreme hiking in solo in the past, and knew that I wouldnít likely get another good weekend to go, so I was determined to get there even if I had to go alone.
    Yes I can certainly see why people donít lug stuff out, although I canít see myself doing so even if it were convenient. I figure that the artifacts are part of what makes the place special, and if they were anywhere else they would just be old junk laying aroundÖ although one of the 2ft long connecting rods would make a good conversation piece, but itís not like I have too much room in my garage as it is lol.
    I was talking to a friend and Iím trying to arrange several of us guys to go this weekend, as weíre supposed to have good weather again. If so, weíll camp out and do some digging. Iím well aware of the risks of bad air in an old mine, which is why I would not go in it on the same trip that we open it, as tempting as it will be.
    As for the test adit, I thought what I was looking at was dug in the dirt underneath the rock, but I wasnít paying super close attention I was more concerned with what might be living in it and watching from nearby. Yes, it sounds like we have shared similar experiences with a tough time getting up the mountain. Iím pretty sure I was running a decently high fever when I got to the top, which I have experienced before when I was physically broken down from such hard work extended over the period of a day, only to have it go away with a nightís sleep. And yes, I slept like a baby not only for 1, but for the next 2 nights!

I have maps of many of the local mine shafts , but none for Mabee Mines, although I do have information claiming that they each go down 1700-2000 feet. Does anybody have any old maps of the shafts available?

Quote Originally Posted by 9812vCTD View Post
    I have maps of many of the local mine shafts , but none for Mabee Mines, although I do have information claiming that they each go down 1700-2000 feet. Does anybody have any old maps of the shafts available?
    I used to have detailed maps of the mine shaft's down on skamania mines road, but i had missed placed them somewhere over times.

Yes I have them as well, and if you look back a few pages there's a link in which I uploaded all the scans of my information.

Hey Luke, You are correct, Shirt creek runs N adn S. I am terrible with direction. The first time we hiked down we went in and out on the East ridge. In 2002 we hiked down the West ridge. You are correct there are some vertical rock facings along there but we were able to pick our way around them. I think I would try the East side again. But with the size of the trees I am sure it will be brutal.

I just dug out my folder of mine info and read up on the maybee mines again. It references Brinsmade's description of the mines in 1916. But the mine was supposedly worked until 1922 and it also says that the concentrator was built on the property in 1917. Even so, Brindle says the West adit goes 400 feet and then follows the vein for over 2,000 feet. So that makes it at least 2,400 feet minimum in 1916. So my guess is that they may be between 3,000 and 4,000 feet long each. It will be interesting to see if that is the case when they are open again.

Due to conflicts in our schedules, I was unable to get a team of guys together to go diggin' this weekend, so on Friday after work I went up to the Silver Star Mine area after work. Since it is so accessible, I figured it would be a good way to burn the last few hours of daylight. I have a map showing the approximate locations of the upper and lower adits of Silver Star Mine (which are quite far apart, suggesting that there is a LOT of potential underground exploration to be done), as well as the location of the mining camp ruins not far from the lower adit. This information is from 1977, so I know that it could be all long gone by now. I hiked the area that the lower adit is supposed to be, and it has all been very recently logged, so I figure that it could have easily been covered up then, if not before. I briefly hiked on the other side of 1200 road where the camp is supposed to be, and didn't find anything, and it may also be in a recently logged portion, depending on exactly how far from the road it was. I was also able to locate the creek that the upper adit is supposed to be located on, however it is much more dense growth there, and I plan to more thoroughly explore all 3 of these locations when I have more daylight. Due to the fact that it is so much less accessible, I think the odds of the upper adit being open are greater than that of the lower.

Does anybody have any current, or semi-current information regarding Silver Star Mine?

Quote Originally Posted by 9812vCTD View Post
    Due to conflicts in our schedules, I was unable to get a team of guys together to go diggin' this weekend, so on Friday after work I went up to the Silver Star Mine area after work. Since it is so accessible, I figured it would be a good way to burn the last few hours of daylight. I have a map showing the approximate locations of the upper and lower adits of Silver Star Mine (which are quite far apart, suggesting that there is a LOT of potential underground exploration to be done), as well as the location of the mining camp ruins not far from the lower adit. This information is from 1977, so I know that it could be all long gone by now. I hiked the area that the lower adit is supposed to be, and it has all been very recently logged, so I figure that it could have easily been covered up then, if not before. I briefly hiked on the other side of 1200 road where the camp is supposed to be, and didn't find anything, and it may also be in a recently logged portion, depending on exactly how far from the road it was. I was also able to locate the creek that the upper adit is supposed to be located on, however it is much more dense growth there, and I plan to more thoroughly explore all 3 of these locations when I have more daylight. Due to the fact that it is so much less accessible, I think the odds of the upper adit being open are greater than that of the lower.

Does anybody have any current, or semi-current information regarding Silver Star Mine?
    next time you go to silver star mine i'll tag along if you like.

Hey Luke,

By Silver Star Mine area, do you mean "Rock Creek"?

If so, I wrote about those on page 6 of this forum, and put a link to some pictures at the lower adit.

The area has completely changed since '77. They cut a new road down to a bridge that crosses Rock Creek. The new road pretty much carved up the opening of the mines. But in the pictures, you can see where we dug out a bit of the caved in dirt to expose the top of the mine opening. So that is definetly the mine. It is on the west side of the road south of the corner that leads to the bridge. It looks like water from a culver washed the dirt away. So if you look for that, I am sure you can find it.

As for the upper adit, it was still open when were there 2 or 3 years ago. But that is where we disturbed a yellow jackets nest right outside the opening and had to abandon the exploration of that mine for the day. One of my boys took his brand new rubber boot off right on top of the nest, so needless to say you may find a boot still there.

It is a ways up the creek valley. And the best way to get there is on the north side of the creek. There is a bit of a trail once you get in off the road a ways.

Let us know how you fair this weekend if you get up to any mines. I have to work again this Saturday.

Kirk

This is exactly the information that I was looking for. Rock Creek is the area, and I remember reading that now, but I didn't put 2 and 2 together without the name of the mine to go with it. I won't be going up this weekend, as I will be out of town, but we'll see what happens in the near future.

There is a lot of discussion on this long thread on how many mining relics are at the mine site, but not much in the way of photos. I guess there were some back several years but they are no longer active. Take a photographer along next trip and post some for all of us to enjoy.

Thread Information