Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Mabee Mines-Washougal WA

Hi Im new here but today me and my dad, cousin, and uncle went to ride ATVs on Mabee Mines rd. It was really fun. We made it to the top of the mountain where there were really big satellite dishes. Anyone know what they're for or who owns them? Also I don't understand what all those gravel roads are there for besides logging. I looked on google maps and they seem to go farther than Id ever dare go. like they go all the way to Mt. St. Helens. And get this, my teacher lives in Carson but teaches in Vancouver and theres so many trails that you can get to his house from Maybee Mines! Anyways, is there anything to see on Mabee mines rd? I mean like any hidden mines or old abandoned buildings in that area? I know about that Cottrell Powerhouse but haven't checked it out yet.

Welcome.. to answer a couple of your questions. Radio dishes, would depend on where you were exactly. Larch has a couple doppler arrays on top. Most are weather some for communication. Yes the logging roads appear to travel everywhere up there. You must be aware that a lot of the secondary roads are being abandoned and not maintained. Also of note it is illegal to ride quads on any logging road, closed and gated or not. This is becomeing a big issue with national forest and dnr. So please do not ride on the roads. If you get caught on a m/otorized vehicle behind a closed gate the fine starts at a grand I bielieve. Just trying to keep you out of trouble.
    Are there hidden mines up there? Hidden no. You just have to do some research to pinpoint them. Lots and lots of helpful info in this thread if you read through it. A couple to look for would be up silver creek, bluebird creek, and possibly prospectors. These are all way up high on the washougal. No vehicle access. You could possibly make it part way. Anyway hope I was of help.
    Steve

Hi
    I am familiar with Wayne Moens work. Have the tome you spoke of .pdf. Have read an original copy at Tac pub lib. Copper creek? which one?

Billy Reed
    Tacoma
    Face book/ Washington State Prospectors

Well, in anticipation of this Summer's mining season, I have posted all of the pictures from our trip to the Mabee Mines back in 2002. You can see them at:

https://picasaweb.google.com/jvangel...eat=directlink

Default Quick visit to the Skamania Mine

Well I stumbled upon this thread a couple of weeks ago and have been obsessing about Washougal area mines ever since. I've hiked Silver Star on numerous occasions and never realized that there was any mining in the area (yeah, Maybee Mines and Skamania Mines roads should have tipped me off ).

I am certainly going to make a trip out to Maybee later in the year but just couldn't wait that long before seeing one of the fabled Washugal area mines so yesterday I decided to go take a look.

Tying to comply with the property owners wishes I quickly ran down and snapped a picture and then speedily returned.

I had a good time but snow and locked gates kept me from seeing anymore. Made an attempt at finding the McCloskey power house with no luck.

So how does one get permission to see some of the mines further up Skamania mines road?

Thanks everyone for all the prior posts, this is a great little treasure trove of information!

Jason

I would also like to know how to get permission to see these mines, including the one you took a pic of. That is amazing!

Hey kirk good to see your still posting. Excellent pictures. I posted a few to photobucket. Search stlhdhntr and that should pop them up. Both miners queen and copper. And there is another adit downstream at miners queen I was actually thinking about takeing a run up to the area a couple weeks ago, and then the snow came might have to try finding rock creek or head up star creek first as a side trip. The rock creek one is really intriguing me. Was on google maps and it looks like they have been logging up pretty close to the area.
    As for the last chance, not the skamania, mine area(maps reverse the last two mines on the road) dnr should have records for ownership. Even county can help with that I think. Usually a letter explaining your intentions is a good start. The propertys up skamania mines road are all private property and should be respected. Beilive me I want to get back into that area real bad, I just haven't had a chance to research ownership to gain permisson. Just as a teaser to motivate someone, there are reports of amethyst comeing out of the area circa early 1900's. Very interesting to say the least. It is not the skamania or last chance property either by the way. Anyway hopefully will have current info for silver star area next time in a few weeks.
    Steve

Blarg. Went out looking for the Cottrell Power Station today. Both Mabee Mines Road and McCloskey Road are gated and closed for logging. Looks like they are going to clear cut the whole **** area. Mabee Mines Road even has an electronic gate with cameras and signs saying that the cameras will notify the authorities of anyone attempting to enter. Wonder if there are some people that are ****** off enough about logging there to start spiking trees or something... Anyhow, is there any other way to get to the power station? Maybe from the Washougal River Road?

Haven't been to the power house myself. Don't know much about that side of the washougal more so copper creek side. That said, washougal river road is blocked just past dougan falls. Big yellow gate where you go over the washougal. On the other side of the bridge is where washougal river road and maybee mines road come together. Maybee road has been closed for some time and is in bad shape at the top end. I haven't personally been out there in a couple years so could be diffrent.
    On a different but similar note. Anybody pinpoint copper city site for me a little better? Came across an old report stateing an old pelton water wheel at copper city site. Any remains out there? I know its fairly close to a road so I am assuming there won't be much left.
    So has anybody been up to copper,miners, or silver star mines yet??? Way to much stuff going on but if anybody makes it in please post and let us know how the conditions are up there.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by VW_Vantucky View Post
    Blarg. Went out looking for the Cottrell Power Station today. Both Mabee Mines Road and McCloskey Road are gated and closed for logging. Looks like they are going to clear cut the whole **** area. Mabee Mines Road even has an electronic gate with cameras and signs saying that the cameras will notify the authorities of anyone attempting to enter. Wonder if there are some people that are ****** off enough about logging there to start spiking trees or something... Anyhow, is there any other way to get to the power station? Maybe from the Washougal River Road?
    Hi there,

I have been to the Cottrell Power house years ago, If you take the lower McCloskey creek road about a 100 ft or so before you get to the gate there is a power lines road that goes down to the left (pretty steep) go down to the bottom stay left and eventaully ul come to the power house, That is what i remember anyway, it's been so mnany years, i was on a motor cycle riding all over that area. let me know if you need any help been looking for someone to go with to find it again... Thanks...

Thread Information