Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Mabee Mines-Washougal WA

Quote Originally Posted by stlhdhntr View Post
    Haven't been to the power house myself. Don't know much about that side of the washougal more so copper creek side. That said, washougal river road is blocked just past dougan falls. Big yellow gate where you go over the washougal. On the other side of the bridge is where washougal river road and maybee mines road come together. Maybee road has been closed for some time and is in bad shape at the top end. I haven't personally been out there in a couple years so could be diffrent.
    On a different but similar note. Anybody pinpoint copper city site for me a little better? Came across an old report stateing an old pelton water wheel at copper city site. Any remains out there? I know its fairly close to a road so I am assuming there won't be much left.
    So has anybody been up to copper,miners, or silver star mines yet??? Way to much stuff going on but if anybody makes it in please post and let us know how the conditions are up there.
    Steve
    HI there,

yes i can pinpoint it better for you, but you probably have maybe found it, there is nothing that i know is left that i have not found

Can someone please post GPS cordinates for these mines , I can plot a course to visit them all and report back????

Quote Originally Posted by sspitka View Post
    Hi there,

I have been to the Cottrell Power house years ago, If you take the lower McCloskey creek road about a 100 ft or so before you get to the gate there is a power lines road that goes down to the left (pretty steep) go down to the bottom stay left and eventaully ul come to the power house,
    So is the power house between McCloskey creek road and Mabee Mines road, or north of Mabee Mines road? From what it looked like, everything around Mabee Mines Road was getting logged. I've tried looking on google maps, but can't seem to see it, but I do see a switch back trail leading north along the power lines from Mabee Mines Road that sounds like what others where talking about.

Default Silver Star Mines

Has anyone been to the Silver Star mines by Grouse and Rock creeks? I went poking around up there yesterday and I think I found the lower and upper adits. The lower adit appeared to be covered by logging debris. I didn't spend to much time looking around there as there were a bunch of guys discharging their firearms at some unsuspecting bottles and cans.

The upper adit appeared to be filled. It was precisely where the topo and GPS said it would be but the terrain there is pretty steep and the foliage dense. Something else could have been pretty close by and I probably would not have seen it. Although every indication pointed to this being it (including the nice little stream percolating out of the ground at it's base).

Silver Star Upper Adit

Silver Star Upper Adit

So does anybody in the know know if that's actually the upper adit? Is the lower adit covered by logging debris?

Jason

I personnaly haven't been to the power hose, just been told all about it. Its supposedly on private property thus the reason I haven't gone. Mcclosky creek road peels off maybee mines approximately half way up maybee mines road. I bet a little research will locate the owner. A quick knock and a little chat will probabaly get you out there. I have found at least out here if you are courteous and explain your intentions most people are very accommadating. Most land owners don't realize the history of there property and are as interested as the rest of us.
    So has anybody been up to copper, or up the upper washougal yet?? Should be getting about that time.
    As for copper city, yeah I probably found it. I figured there wasn't much left, to close to the road. I also heard there are supposed to be tunnels all along copper from copper city up to miners queen. I know almost all the land is claimed up out there, but still curious. Anybody find anything above the copper creek mine? Lots of flagging around last year so was curious if the big boys are checking it out also.

So has anybody been up to copper, or up the upper washougal yet?? Should be getting about that time.
    I tried to get up to the Miner's Queen yesterday. I think I was within a mile or two but was turned around by a good little mud bog. I was with the Wife, daughters (3yrs and 6mths), and in a car. Could have easily made it past with any sort of SUV but I wasn't going risk getting stuck since my wife was already pretty unhappy given the state of the road and my daughters mood. I think I'll return on dirt bike.

As for copper city, yeah I probably found it.
    So where is Copper City in relation to the Miners Queen? Just down stream on Copper Creek?

Jason

Sigh. According to real estate sites, the property was sold a month ago. Looks to me like it was sold to a logging outfit. I'm worried they are going to clear cut the whole place, and thus I want to try to get in before it happens. Probably not going to have much luck though.

i knew the propertty was up for sale. a logging company bought it?? that can be bad news. i would hope they wouldnt clear cut, but moneys money for them. i heard there was supposed to be some remnants up at the power house, but dont know for sure.
    those pictures of silver star kinda look like just a wash out area. could be way wrong tho. the strata showing behind appears to be a deposit type structure rather than hard rock. to my knowledge all the mines in the washougal district were hard rock. well except for stream placers, but thats a diffrent subject. there is a post in this thread that will pinpoint siver star mines pretty exact. cant remember the page, but scroll thru and you should find it. gonna try and find them here in the next week or two myself.
    ahh gotta love the forest roads after meltoff. the road will get better as it dries. motorcycle not needed, but it will get you more places than a vehicle. copper city site is farther downstream from miners queen, black jack mines on copper creek. i personnaly dont like to give road numbers over the internet or explicit directions. pm me if you want i will pinpoint better. for those that have an idea of where we are talking about i will beat around the bush so to speak. so the road that takes you to copper creek(main road two numbers) there will be a road that peels off to the right, that is the road to copper city site. is down stream from the road crossing. 1/8 mile i think. there is supposed to be adits all the way up strem to black jack mine. havent personnaly hiked up it so couldnt say for certain. all the land from there upstream is under federal mining claim so be carefull if you take a pan with you. there are a couple groups you can join that hold a couple of the prospects if interested.
    continuing on the main road past the first pull off to the right you will come to another road to youre right. it has a gate and is occassionaly closed(never locked) sometimes guys will close the gate to try and keep other people from comeing down. follow road down to copper creek. there will be a foot bridge over copper here. if you want me to pinpoint blackjack or miners queen from here pm me. it is fairly easy to find both, but you can get turned around on the old roads pretty quick.
    hopefully i can have a fresh report from copper here in the next few weeks. planning on heading up and doing a little prelimanary scouting for a mabee trip. it looks nasty from the topo maps, but a little eyes on might show me a good way in. anyway happy hunting. steve

those pictures of silver star kinda look like just a wash out area. could be way wrong tho . . . gonna try and find them here in the next week or two myself.
    Hey Steve, it will be intersting to hear your conclusions. If the map in the St. Helens and Washugal Mining Districts circular is to be believed that wash/adit is right where the upper adit should be. I think it looks more like an adit that the top soil has sluffed down into in person, but it's hard to tell.

ahh gotta love the forest roads after meltoff. the road will get better as it dries. motorcycle not needed, but it will get you more places than a vehicle.
    Yeah, and it's a lot more fun.

if you want me to pinpoint blackjack or miners queen from here pm me. it is fairly easy to find both, but you can get turned around on the old roads pretty quick.
    I think I know where they are, just need to find the time to get up there. If I don't have any luck I'll drop you a pm.

planning on heading up and doing a little prelimanary scouting for a mabee trip. it looks nasty from the topo maps, but a little eyes on might show me a good way in. anyway happy hunting. steve
    Yeah, I'm hoping to get to Mabee in the next month or so. Thinking about going in from the top as well. I wonder how much of a knife edge ridge that is to the north. Looks like if you hike that east a way you can drop into a draw that will lead you pretty close. Once again I'll be waiting to hear what you find out.

Jason

Default Black Jack and Miners Queen

I took the motorcycle out for a brief look at the Black Jack and Miners Queen mines yesterday. My maps indicated that access was by forest road that follows Copper Creek upstream. Unfortunately you canít make it all the way by car, as Copper Creek is crossed by a foot/stock bridge. I didnít see any signs prohibiting motorized vehicles so I proceeded on bike. I decided to go by foot at the second crossing of Copper Creek as I didnít feel like fishing my bike out of two feet of freezing water if I didnít make it across.

First off was Black Jack. Once again is was right where I marked it on the GPS, pretty easy to find other than the fact I decided to follow the old road to Miners Queen instead of following a lower road that runs next to Copper Creek. I had to bush whack down slope to get there. I had a copy of the Information Circular #60: St. Helens and Washougal Mining Districts but unfortunately I was looking at the site map for Miners Queen! Doh! I spent a good time puzzling over why the creek seemed to be running in the wrong direction and where the other adits were on the other side of the creek. Yes, Iím kind of dense. I didnít realize my error until I got to the Miners Queen.

A couple Black Jack pics:

Adit No. 3

Adit No. 2

Miners Queen was pretty easy to access, well worth the trip as far as Iím concerned. After a disappointing visit to Silver Star last week it was nice to actually see some non-filled adits in such a scenic location. Poked around for a little while, but I wanted to get back home by noon so I had to quickly bug out and hustle back to my bike.

A couple Miners Queen pictures:

Adit No. 2

Adit No. 1

I didnít have time to scout out the overland route to Maybee or find Copper City. I guess Iíll just have to come back :-)

Thread Information