Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Mabee Mines-Washougal WA

Hey Steve,

Nice to see someone is getting out.

Quote Originally Posted by stlhdhntr View Post
    After consulting many maps I believe the ridge you want to drop down is going to be right where you make the right turn and drop back towards bluff mt. Does this sound right??
    I'm not sure what ridge you're talking about so a created a quick map:

I was thinking about taking Ridge 1 on my map, is that the one you're referring to? Does there look to be a better option?

Also does the spur road off bluff trail possibly hook up with the roads down on copper, miners creek?
    I also labeled a "Road to Copper Creek", I certainly saw this road coming in from the east when I visited the Miners Queen a couple of weeks ago. If you saw a spur running west from the top, I'd have to think it connects. Is that the road you're talking about, or is there one closer to Bluff Mtn. that heads down (North) Copper Creek?

Let us know what you find out!

Jason

Hi jason thanks for the response. You the man!! Excellent map and detective work!
    I was looking at what you have labeled ridge 2. When we were up there last week we were in the clouds and couldn't see crap down the east side. Once we made the turn towards bluff just past bluff 2 it opened up a little bit more. So I teally was guessing more than able to see down into the drainage. From what I could see(which was about 200 yards) it looked like ridge 2 was a little less steep, but couldn't see much. If I remember correct kirk's map shows him going down ridge 2 also. I will have to go back and verify that. There was also someone who went straight down the drainage last year, but he descibes the hike as brutal. I think I tend to agree with kirk that going down and out the washougal would probably be the best approach. Comeing back up looks to be the worst part, so if you can avoid it I think I would.
    Yes that is the road I was refering to. I have walked up it from the copper side for a few miles. Then we saw the road up top dropping you back towards copper. I don't have a good usgs map just delorme and google earth. Non of them list either road! I figured it would probably hook up but wasn't sure.
    So knowing that the road goes all the way thru does that make anyone as curious as I. Does this mean there might be more prospects up higher?? I have heard of grumblings about some prospects high up on silver star. Hmmmmmm.
    Will try and go back up this week and get a better look down into the valley. Not sure if I will or if the call of pretty agates and jasper distract me.
    Steve

I was looking at what you have labeled ridge 2.
    Good to know. When I finally get out there I'll have to scout around. Google earth shows a scree field going north east down Ridge 3 that also looks interesting. How forested are the ridge tops. Google maps satellite view makes it look somewhat sparse.

I think I tend to agree with kirk that going down and out the washougal would probably be the best approach.
    For some reason this does not appeal to me. Probably because I'm a glutton for punishment and I always have to learn the hard way

So knowing that the road goes all the way thru does that make anyone as curious as I. Does this mean there might be more prospects up higher?? I have heard of grumblings about some prospects high up on silver star.
    Certainly makes me curious! I'll have to go back on the motorbike and see if I can get through.

Will try and go back up this week and get a better look down into the valley.
    As always, let us know what you find out.

Jason

Hi Jason and Steve,

Good to see you getting out there a bit! I went down ridge 1 the first time from the top. But that was 25 years ago when the trees were still small. And yes the ridges are heavily forested. About 7 years ago we decided to use ridge 2 because it looked easier. I am not sure it was, but we made it by pushing hard through dead branches and sliding down steep sections of the hill. I also remember it was hard to keep our bearing because we couldn't see anything most of the time because of the trees. Thinking about how much work it was pushing through the trees going downhill, I would hate to try and come back up through them......

Also, I think your X on the map for Mabee needs to be pushed upstream about 100 yards.

I also labeled a "Road to Copper Creek", I certainly saw this road coming in from the east when I visited the Miners Queen a couple of weeks ago. If you saw a spur running west from the top, I'd have to think it connects. Is that the road you're talking about, or is there one closer to Bluff Mtn. that heads down (North) Copper Creek?
    Yes there is a road (very loose term) that runs from just short of Miner's Queen up to the main road to Bluff Mtn. A friend and I rode motorcycles from the bottom to the top once. It was pretty rough but we made it. But it looks a lot more over grown now than it was then.

Steve, I have been to two small mines futher up the North side of Silver Star. They were pretty short, but interesting. I also know that there was a guy who took a cat up Copper Creek past the turn off to Miner's Queen and dug out the bottom of the creek and built an earthen dam. He did that in the late fall and was going to come back in the spring and dredge the part he dug up. I have no idea if he did, but he moved a bunch of rock around up there. It wouldn't surprise me if there aren't a mine or two up in the head waters of copper creek.

I look forward to reading about your next trip!

Kirk

Well no chance to get out this week, but there is always next week. Yes it looks to be pretty brushy, woody on the way down. I hear the glutton for punishment thing. But ever since I screwed up my back I've learned to asses exactly what I can and can't do. Going down in looks fun and not a problem. Comeing back up does not!! I know some already have, and if you are in reasonable shape it shouldn't be a killer. Still fun going up, but doable. Trying to go out through the washougal can present its own problems. I.e. finding someone to pick ya up. Trying to two car shuttle in one day would make for a long day for sure.

Kirk good to hear from ya. I sent you an email a while back. Did you get it?? Anyway I thought you had said something about the north side of silver star. Back up the cat road I am assuming? Someone got a cat back up there! Now if he didn't return for whatever reason it could be very interesting! Curious if anybody knows if amoco or a subsidiary still has the area claimed up? I know there are a couple private placer claims below blackjack mine down past copper city site. But does anybody still hold placer or hard rock mineral claims up there? I had run into an old timer up there last year that stated he had run into a couple geologists up there. If so I am assuming that would answer my question eh?
    Hopefully somebody was able to get out and enjoy the sun this week.
    Steve

Hi, So I've spent the last hour reading over all these posts. I homeschool my two children and we are starting a unit study on our town Washougal. I have the two books "Across Rushing Waters" and "Looking Back". We plan a field trip to the Two Rivers Heritage Museum. I was gathering information and researching the mines in our area when I came across this forum. Thank you so much for all the info you've shared and pictures you've posted!

Kirk, thanks so much for all you shared! I especially think it's cool that you took your kids to explore the mines! I would love to do that but I don't think my hubby would be game for that I do have a friend though who is building a house in Star Valley and she says a couple of the mines are very close to their property and that we could hike to them with her!

Anyways I just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed reading all about the mines and history behind them!
    Tamara

Been following this thread for months and reread it several times. Heading up to miners queen mines tomorrow. Hopefully find some remaining signs of the camp that was there.

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Welcome to the forum...hope you have a great time here and looking forward to hearing what you find in your travels.

Made it up to the firing area today. I used the map on the previous page with the over lay. Is this the same area off L-1200? I went to the bridge below where they shoot and could not find anything below on either side. So then I tried to find remains of the camp that is on the other side of the road and that was a no go as well. Just want to make sure I am hitting the right area.

I am taking my MD next time to look for stuff. Also want to check out the copper town area people were talking about. Everything is so hit and miss with 21 pages. Lol

Hey Badbaja, Welcome to the fun! It sounds like you were in the right place. In fact, I would guess that you walked right past the caved in mine. It was a couple hundred feet short of the bridge on the oposite side of the road from the creek. In you don't look closely, it just looks like a place where water runs from the road up above. Go check it out again, look closely and I bet you will find it. When I was there two years ago, we had to dig down a foot or two to find the top of the mine entrance.

Tamara, I've been checking in regularly since you posted, but have been too swamped with work to write. Those are good books which gave us the initial incentive to go searching. And we've had a lot of fun along the way. Btw, we homeschool our 12 kids, so I have an appreciation for that. It sure helps to get them interested in things like old mines to motivate them to read, study, research, and plan. Makes for great schooling!

I've been dying to know where Star Valley is exactly. I looked on the internet and it sounds like it might be up around the upper reaches of the West Fork of the Washougal River. Is that correct? Is it short of the log dam up by the Skamania/Last Chance Mines? My wife knows some people who built a house up near there several years ago.

Take care,
    Kirk

Thread Information