Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Mabee Mines-Washougal WA

Ah kirk long time no hear. Totally understand the to busy to do anything game
    Anyway another summer gone to fast!! Only one trip to the ridgeline above mabee this year unfortunatly. Loved the view from up there. Hopefully if it doesn't rain to hard I can make a trip into miners queen before the month is over. Still want to check out that first adit.
    Star valley was the valley that star creek goes up from copper I thought???? Could be wrong. I have been looking at some old (70's) and wow has the roads and there numbers changed over the years. Very interesting trying to match up old maps with new maps. Makes you scratch your head sometimes!!
    Speaking of star creek, wasn't it up the cat road where you (kirk) ran into the cabin?? Been obsessing over the area. The rockhound bug is getting the better of me just have a feeling there is something interesting floating around up there.
    Well off on a blue agate search trip!! Got distracted from the mines for a day by reports of blue agate in the skamania county area. Will report back on that also.
    Steve

I live on Mabee Mines Road. Only few miles from the mine, and dam.

Stlhdhntr I am going to try and get back up on Monday's. I know it's a awkward day but its what I got for sure as of now. I would like to check out some cabins and this camp that's on the previous map. Also there are some monstrous rocks at the top of a hill close to there where it looked like they might have caves. My jack russells gave up on me 3/4 way up so it's a little hike. Let me know if there is a day you might want to meet up there.

The mine and dam that I mentioned are on McCloskey creek road, take road right at turn around area, taking left is Mabee Mines Road. Photo I took some years ago of the dam or waterway to power station near Washougal river.

Name:  fs-0086.jpg
Views: 1906
Size:  97.6 KB
    Last edited by wimc; 12-01-2011 at 06:03 AM. Reason: uploaded to this forum

So is that a public area to go up by the dam? Might head up Monday if work is slow.

Wimc thank you for the info. I see on the map where it goes to the right how far up McCloskey creek road do you go or is there a landmark or just off the road. Looks like a few homes in that area and I am not the trespassing type.

I also metal detect for old coins, and caches. So if you know of anything feel free to let me know. I always split the gold and silver.

Feel free to contact if anyone wants to set up a time. I really want to check out the copper city that was mentioned a few pages back. Cool stuff.

I also have found a mine on private property here in Clark that I am trying to get permission to view. I am not one for going into abandoned mines unless a bunch of things are in order first. Believe it or not the mine is in the basement of a house. I will post a thread with full written permission of the owner of coarse.

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by BADBAJA View Post
    Believe it or not the mine is in the basement of a house. I will post a thread with full written permission of the owner of coarse.
    That would be an interesting read...can't wait!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BADBAJA View Post
    So is that a public area to go up by the dam? Might head up Monday if work is slow.
    Last few years they gated it up there, if gate is closed can just walk to it (not a long walk, perhaps ~1 mile), there is a place to park before you get to the gate.

The photo I took, the mine is other side of the dam/rocks. Haven't been up there for quite sometime, last time I was there you could clearly see the mine entrance. Been caved in for decades though. Haven't seen other mines or heard of others, lived on Mabee Mines Road for 21.5 years. Possibly the reason not knowing others is, haven't spoke to anyone around here.

FYI: they are logging up there somewhere. Beware.

No houses near the one I mentioned.
    Last edited by wimc; 10-08-2011 at 04:55 AM. Reason: answering another question I missed

Badbaja,

Believe it or not the mine is in the basement of a house.
    I am very interested in hearing more about this one. The only houses I know of that are anywhere close to mines are up the West Fork of the Washougal River, near the Skamania and Last Chance mines..... Although we have never found the one that is supposed to be near Texas Gulch (Creek) and that is a bit closer to civilization.... Can't wait to hear more!

Kirk

The house was built around what was the remains of the mine from what I hear. Looking on google
    Earth I can see tailings. Trying to contact the owner and the renter for permission will be the toughest part. If it does not happen I will divulge the information as available. There is a lot of history besides the fort around Clark county. Hint hint Just have to look. Please if you have a idea of who it is just mail me and I will confirm whether or not it is.

Also if you guys have not checked in with the map maker down off main(Vantucky) your really missing out. Email if you want his info.

Gime2469@hotmail.com

Thread Information