Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Mabee Mines-Washougal WA

Ok fair warning this may get a little ranty!! I made it up to blackjack yesterday with a buddy from tacoma. Got to the trail head around 930 and there was three vehicles already parked down there!! Never have I run into anyone out there before!! One guy was doing crack clean up on the creek(hope he was affiliated with the group that holds the claim!!) And didn't see anyone else around. Proceeded up the trail. Was pretty uneventful. Made the turn to blackjack and turned the corner by the pipe, and at the first little clearing before the first adit is two new blue spray paint arrows pointing you across the creek!! These are new! Trail on opposite side of creek looks pretty fresh. I didn't check it out, was there for other things! Proceeded to the first adit, and lo and behold there is a brand new NO TRESPASSING sign posted at the entrance. Active mining claim, active mining stay out!! What the ****!!!! Went to the middle adit, and same thing again, except opposite the no trespass sign was discovery monument with jar attached with paperwork inside. This would make it a legitimate claim folks!!!! Went to third adit and again same **** thing!!! Got back to the truck and evreybody else was gone. Don't know if anyone was at miners queen and we missed them, or if nobody went up that way. Either way noone up at the mines that I know of.
    Ok so here is my rant. My unfortunate suspicion is that someone is using the info from the forum! Don't know anything for fact just a feeling I have. Maybe even someone just looking at info. That being said I will no longer post road numbers, common names(historical mine names only), directions, or general info. Will happily drop clues, but will not put the x on your map!! There is plenty of good info if you look thru all 22 pages! Time consuming? Yes but that is how I started finding out about some of this area. Dnr has lots of resorces. Do some homework. It will pay 10 fold.
    If I am wrong I apologize!! Just very interesting timing!!
    Side note. Why would someone claim this??? I have dnr reports for this mine!! Very low grade copper deposit!! Like 3% at the BEST!! That tis the highest assay out of about a dozen!!! Most are much lower!! Not even economical as an open pit!!! One of the big mine companys(asarco or another I have to look it up) had control of the entire upper copper and miners creek locked up in claims as late as the 70's and possibly into the 80's. I assumed they still controlled it. Guess I was wrong!! That big company obviously WALKED AWAY!! Why??? Because the deposit is NOT economical!! As a kicker the gold assays on blackjack are all below one tenth of an ounce to the ton!!!!!! Very little copper, almost non existent gold, and you have a recipe for a MONEY PIT!! This is why I am not understanding the situation!! A placer claim up there, sure why not there probably is a few flakes up there but a lode claim!! I don't know for fact that it is a lode claim, but if you are trying to claim the adits it WOULD have to be a lode claim correct?? See now I am almost afraid to go to miners queen fearing finding the same thing!! Almost tempted to go run around and start claiming all the old mines I know about, but how is that fair?? I am not looking for big dollar mines!! I am a rockhound trying to get good specimens as well as to learn more about our history. There are not really any economically viable mines around here! Wind river would be the exception!! Not that they aren't out there. They haven't been found yet!!!! There is a platinum source up the east fork somewhere!! It has been dredged from the east fork below horseshoe falls. The source has never been found!!!! Just an example. Why claim something that is not worthwhile when the possiblitys of new better discoverys is very real!!
    Hope no one has taken personal offense. Just very frustrating to find a very cool place locked up by the uninformed! I do have pictures of the signs and discovery post and will try to post them shortly.
    Kirk if you are still watching, shoot me an email I would still like to meet up with you sometime.
    Steve

Hi Steve,

Just shot you an email. Hopefully we can meet up in the next 3 -4 weeks.

That's disappointing if someone is just trying to lock it up..... I do know someone tried to do that to the Mabee mines a long time ago....They lost interest pretty fast and didn't renew it.
    Can you post the name on the claim paperwork. I would be interested to know...

Also, I am dying to hear more about the house that is supposedly built over one of the mines in the area....I looked on Google Earth and didn't see anything in the areas of the mines I know about.....anticipation!!!!!

Kirk

Default mining claims

One of the reasons people file these claims is they think it enables them to get a piece of land. It is a mineral claim only and any no tresspassing signs are not allowed. One can walk anywhere on the claim, go into the addits and they cannot stop you. But if you pick up a rock it is a federal offense. They will say otherwise but it is not so. Report them to Forest Service. I have gone after these people and reported every infraction.

Arrow

Sthdhntr I am glad I have not gone up cause I would have taken my metal detector and probably got in trouble. Thats why I wanna stay clear of the creeks and just try relic or cache hunt the copper city or any mining towns. I only try and find clad, silver or gold caches. If I knew it was a claim I would shurly ask permission to only check out the towns or old cabins of any sorts. The creeks are ok but I agree there was never any nugget size gold coming out of these mines but it never hurts to check unless trespassing without permission.

I hope I can get up to see these before they get closed. Or worse blown up.

Also please feel free to email me if your going up or pm me through here. I am pretty flexible on schedule as of now.
    Gime2469@hotmaildotcom

Hey BadBaja..... You haven't posted anything more about the house that has the mine in the basement..... You are killing me here :~ ..... I did spend a fair amount of time on Google Earth looking at the areas I think that mines are possible, but didn't find anything...... So.....give us a bit more to go on..... Thanks!!!
    Kirk

In the Vancouver city limits. I don't think I ever mentioned it being in the hills or mountains. ?

It's funny you were saying google earth. I spent 2 hours searcing that **** meteorite that was discovered then lost in southern Oregon in 1800s. Dang rock is worth at least 20mil. I want to find thAt rock. Those specimens are so beautiful. No way I could sell the whole thing I would have to keep a specimine.

Long time no see, I haven't posted here since last winter probably. Just poking my head in here to see whats up? Its unfortunate to read about the "mining" operation. A friend and I plan to go out and explore before too much snow comes in the higher up parts. Anyone up to meet and explore? I'm in Washougal.

Should mention when gates are open do not drive through, logging company working in the area told me just because gate is open doesn't mean anyone can go on past gates for Mabee Mines Road and McCloskey Creek Road. Just coming from Mabee Mines Road, have not seen gates coming from the long back way.

Hello my name is mike and I am 22 and a PSU senior who is majoring in political science and business, I have had a few geology classes but realistic my knowledge in mines or mining is zero. I originally came on to this form looking for ghost towns, I climbed mt. hood this past Saturday and was looking for my next adventure. As I was reading on and came to the forms I clicked on this particular one because it was in Washington and I live in Tigard Oregon. As I read on about mines I saw a few posts about flooded mines and as an avid scuba diver became interested in diving in some flooded mines (I still am very interested in doing this, so if you know of any good places to try let me know, but my story does not end here.)

As I read on even further I was very happy to see that this form has been going for so long. After bouncing a couple of ideas around I think itís clear to me I want to make a week or two camping trip up to mabee mines and reopen them, and since it is 2012 instead of photos I will take a gopro (if you donít know what it is look it up on YouTube) and document my journey, and hopefully go deep into the mine and have it on camera for everyone to experience. I realize this will take a lot of work but fortunately youth and time are on my side, however I am completely ignorant of the area and history, and realistically just basics of mining. Iím hoping this is where the collaborative knowledge of everyone can help. Frequently maps are referenced on this form, what maps are you using US Geological?, BLM? I know some use Google and the posting of those maps will be helpful. Like I said earlier I want to document this entire experience so that everyone can enjoy the journey with me, especially the first entry into the mine!
    I look forward to hearing what people think and their replies and advice are . Iíll be busy the next few days with school but will be checking in soon, I really hope to hear from you as well Kirk!

I would also like to thank everyone who helped keep this form going for so long. I hope to add a great deal to it.

where did my long post go? has anyone seen it? lol

Thread Information