Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: Mabee Mines-Washougal WA

so i posted a long thread here and it has yet to show up, im going to post this to see if it shows up at all.

to sum up my last post, im going to hike gear to mabee mine, camp there for a couple weeks and reopen the mine. i also want to record the entire journey on the new gopro camera so everyone can watch the first time someone reenters the cave. my mine knowledge is zero however, so i really will be depending on the knowledge of this community this form has birthed over the past few years.

on another note, anyone know of some flooded mine shafts that i could explore via scuba?

look forward to figuring thing form out. i will also repost my long post on my other computer

Hello my name is mike and I am 22 and a PSU senior who is majoring in political science and business, I have had a few geology classes but realistic my knowledge in mines or mining is zero. I originally came on to this form looking for ghost towns, I climbed mt. hood this past Saturday and was looking for my next adventure. As I was reading on and came to the forms I clicked on this particular one because it was in Washington and I live in Tigard Oregon. As I read on about mines I saw a few posts about flooded mines and as an avid scuba diver became interested in diving in some flooded mines (I still am very interested in doing this, so if you know of any good places to try let me know, but my story does not end here.)

As I read on even further I was very happy to see that this form has been going for so long. After bouncing a couple of ideas around I think itís clear to me I want to make a week or two camping trip up to mabee mines and reopen them, and since it is 2012 instead of photos I will take a gopro (if you donít know what it is look it up on YouTube) and document my journey, and hopefully go deep into the mine and have it on camera for everyone to experience. I realize this will take a lot of work but fortunately youth and time are on my side, however I am completely ignorant of the area and history, and realistically just basics of mining. Iím hoping this is where the collaborative knowledge of everyone can help. Frequently maps are referenced on this form, what maps are you using US Geological?, BLM? I know some use Google and the posting of those maps will be helpful. Like I said earlier I want to document this entire experience so that everyone can enjoy the journey with me, especially the first entry into the mine!
    I look forward to hearing what people think and their replies and advice are . Iíll be busy the next few days with school but will be checking in soon, I really hope to hear from you as well Kirk!

I would also like to thank everyone who helped keep this form going for so long. I hope to add a great deal to it.

Hey all,

I am thinking of going on a quick trip to the mine that is further down Copper Creek sometime soon after the snow melts. If anyone wants to come along, let me know and we should be able to work out a date.

Jeremy

I am hoping to check in on the Copper Creek mines with a friend of mine on Saturday. I'm hoping that we will make it back.

Hey, our posts showed up! Thanks to whoever fixed that!

Anyways, we went to the Copper Creek mines at the end of March. Everything was as Stlhdhntr reported. It didn't look like they had done any work. I was hoping that they would be working there so that we could get a chance to talk shop with them.

On the 8th we tried to go to the Mabee Mines but scrubbed the trip because it was snowing.

The 15th and 16th were beautiful days, but I was busy with the Spartan Sprint and a funeral.

So, we are going to try to go to the Mabee Mines again this Friday. We will spend the night and walk out on Saturday afternoon.

Mike, Dad has some plans of several of the flooded shafts in the area. They were in some mining publication by the state. We will have to show them to you when we get together.

Default Copper Creek and Miner's Creek

We visited the Copper Creek and Miner's Creek mines today. The No Trespassing signs were still at the Copper Creek mines, but there weren't any at Miner's Creek. It appears that someone dug some ditches from the mouths of the Copper Creek mines, which brought down the water level by quite a bit. So maybe the sign-painters did do a bit of work on them. Miner's Creek was the same as always. But the last bit of trail is right over a washed out part of the streambank. Someone with a machete should probably realign that soon.

Hi all, With the warm weather this weekend, it started thoughts of the Mabee Mines. It is likely that I won't be able to make it up there until the end of July or August. But since things have been quiet for awhile, I thought I would ask if anyone has made it up there in the past 8 months or so? Chime in! Kirk

Default found the cabin built in hillside

I have found the cabin built in the hillside did not go to it. It is way up from dougan falls. I also found a large cave about two miles up from the falls

Default cabin

Quote Originally Posted by kvangeld View Post
    Hi Steve,

Just shot you an email. Hopefully we can meet up in the next 3 -4 weeks.

That's disappointing if someone is just trying to lock it up..... I do know someone tried to do that to the Mabee mines a long time ago....They lost interest pretty fast and didn't renew it.
    Can you post the name on the claim paperwork. I would be interested to know...

Also, I am dying to hear more about the house that is supposedly built over one of the mines in the area....I looked on Google Earth and didn't see anything in the areas of the mines I know about.....anticipation!!!!!

Kirk
    I have been to the cabin

Hi Steve,
    Can you give me more of a hint?

"Way up from Dugan Falls" Would that be on the Washougal River? Or a tributary? If a tributary, which one? I suspect there is a mine on the west side of the Washougal River just a bit downstream from where Prospector Creek meets it.

I would still love to get together with you. I am swamped the next month or so. But things should slow down in Nov.

Thanks,
    Kirk

Thread Information