Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: Mabee Mines-Washougal WA

Hey everybody!

New guy checking in from Portland. I've been to a handful of mines in the area including the Skamania Mine, Last Chance Mine, Yellow Jacket Mine? (not sure if that's the correct name). and the Wind River Mine. I've also been to 30ish mines outside of the area in Oregon and Washington, I've got plenty of interesting stories if you wan to hear haha.

I do have a question for you guys though; does anyone know anything about the Cheney Creek Mine(s) and the Ogle Mountain Mines? They're in Oregon relatively close to Mt Hood, I'm especially interested in the Ogle Mountain Mines because they are said to have been very extensive, but I don't know about the current condition of these mines. I know that there's an open adit at the Cheney Creek Mines, but I know absolutely nothing about the Ogle Mountain Mines, I can't even find a picture.

Let me know if you have some information for me, or if you want to hear some stories

All the best,

Graham

Hi Graham,

Welcome! We would love to hear about any of your experiences with mines, etc, especially the ones around Silver Star Mountain!

I'm sorry I can't give you any help on the OR mines. My experience for now is limited to the Silver Star area....although I did make a trip trying to find an abandoned mine on East Fork of the Lewis river. Didn't find it, need to make another trip.

We look forward to hearing about your experiences!

Kirk

Hey guys!

The only mine I've been to in the area that was open was the Last Chance / Skamania (names were mixed up a long time ago but it's one of those). Anyways it was a copper mine so there was tons of blue colored rock everywhere which was very cool! It went back a few thousand feet i'd say, it took us a full hour to get through it!

I've got to say the coolest thing about that mine was at the end of the tunnel, there were names of the miners who worked in the mine written with coal or something. I took a video of it so the following photos don't looks too great:
    Number 01 Number 02 Number 03

While I'm at it i'll share some other pictures from other mining districts in the area.

This is the Oregon King Mine, one of the most successful mines in Oregon; it was absolutely massive but sadly I couldn't go inside.

Here is some text that was engraved about 1,000 feet back in the Wall Street Mine of Central Washington.

Alright one last picture before I go. This mine is nowhere near us, located in Baker County (sorry) but I just learned a lot more about it and it's very interesting and I wanted to share! This is called the Jevne Adit, it actually was not as much of a mine as it was a transport tunnel. The plan was to connect two different ore bodies from the Columbia Mine and the North Pole Mine with a 4000 foot long tunnel (WOW!!). Unfortunately for the miners this idea didn't really pan out, and the tunnel was cut short after no more than 1000 feet. I was truly amazed when I saw this tunnel because of it's sheer size, it's about 15 feet tall and 12 feet wide. We were only able to make it back a couple hundred feet before we ran into a massive collapse, but it was an amazing mine to visit nonetheless.

Let me know what ya'll think!

All the best,

Graham

Hey guys!

The only mine I've been to in the area that was open was the Last Chance / Skamania (names were mixed up a long time ago but it's one of those). Anyways it was a copper mine so there was tons of blue colored rock everywhere which was very cool! It went back a few thousand feet i'd say, it took us a full hour to get through it!

I've got to say the coolest thing about that mine was at the end of the tunnel, there were names of the miners who worked in the mine written with coal or something. I took a video of it so the following photos don't looks too great:
    Number 01 Number 02 Number 03

While I'm at it i'll share some other pictures from other mining districts in the area.

This is the Oregon King Mine, one of the most successful mines in Oregon; it was absolutely massive but sadly I couldn't go inside.

Here is some text that was engraved about 1,000 feet back in the Wall Street Mine of Central Washington.

Alright one last picture before I go. This mine is nowhere near us, located in Baker County (sorry) but I just learned a lot more about it and it's very interesting and I wanted to share! This is called the Jevne Adit, it actually was not as much of a mine as it was a transport tunnel. The plan was to connect two different ore bodies from the Columbia Mine and the North Pole Mine with a 4000 foot long tunnel (WOW!!). Unfortunately for the miners this idea didn't really pan out, and the tunnel was cut short after no more than 1000 feet. I was truly amazed when I saw this tunnel because of it's sheer size, it's about 15 feet tall and 12 feet wide. We were only able to make it back a couple hundred feet before we ran into a massive collapse, but it was an amazing mine to visit nonetheless.

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the pics and stories! Also, there are a lot more mines around Silver Star Mtn for you to explore. Although none of the ones you can still get into are as long as the Last Chance/Skamania mine.

Happy mine exploration!

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by stlhdhntr View Post
    Ok fair warning this may get a little ranty!! I made it up to blackjack yesterday with a buddy from tacoma. Got to the trail head around 930 and there was three vehicles already parked down there!! Never have I run into anyone out there before!! One guy was doing crack clean up on the creek(hope he was affiliated with the group that holds the claim!!) And didn't see anyone else around. Proceeded up the trail. Was pretty uneventful. Made the turn to blackjack and turned the corner by the pipe, and at the first little clearing before the first adit is two new blue spray paint arrows pointing you across the creek!! These are new! Trail on opposite side of creek looks pretty fresh. I didn't check it out, was there for other things! Proceeded to the first adit, and lo and behold there is a brand new NO TRESPASSING sign posted at the entrance. Active mining claim, active mining stay out!! What the ****!!!! Went to the middle adit, and same thing again, except opposite the no trespass sign was discovery monument with jar attached with paperwork inside. This would make it a legitimate claim folks!!!! Went to third adit and again same **** thing!!! Got back to the truck and evreybody else was gone. Don't know if anyone was at miners queen and we missed them, or if nobody went up that way. Either way noone up at the mines that I know of.
    [COLOR="#00FF00"]Ok so here is my rant. My unfortunate suspicion is that someone is using the info from the forum! Don't know anything for fact just a feeling I have. Maybe even someone just looking at info. That being said I will no longer post road numbers, common names(historical mine names only), directions, or general info. Will happily drop clues, but will not put the x on your map!! There is plenty of good info if you look thru all 22 pages! Time consuming? Yes but that is how I started finding out about some of this area. Dnr has lots of resorces. Do some homework. It will pay 10 fold.
    If I am wrong I apologize!! Just very interesting timing!!
    [/COLOR]
    Side note. Why would someone claim this??? I have dnr reports for this mine!! Very low grade copper deposit!! Like 3% at the BEST!! That tis the highest assay out of about a dozen!!! Most are much lower!! Not even economical as an open pit!!! One of the big mine companys(asarco or another I have to look it up) had control of the entire upper copper and miners creek locked up in claims as late as the 70's and possibly into the 80's. I assumed they still controlled it. Guess I was wrong!! That big company obviously WALKED AWAY!! Why??? Because the deposit is NOT economical!! As a kicker the gold assays on blackjack are all below one tenth of an ounce to the ton!!!!!! Very little copper, almost non existent gold, and you have a recipe for a MONEY PIT!! This is why I am not understanding the situation!! A placer claim up there, sure why not there probably is a few flakes up there but a lode claim!! I don't know for fact that it is a lode claim, but if you are trying to claim the adits it WOULD have to be a lode claim correct?? See now I am almost afraid to go to miners queen fearing finding the same thing!! Almost tempted to go run around and start claiming all the old mines I know about, but how is that fair?? I am not looking for big dollar mines!! I am a rockhound trying to get good specimens as well as to learn more about our history. There are not really any economically viable mines around here! Wind river would be the exception!! Not that they aren't out there. They haven't been found yet!!!! There is a platinum source up the east fork somewhere!! It has been dredged from the east fork below horseshoe falls. The source has never been found!!!! Just an example. Why claim something that is not worthwhile when the possiblitys of new better discoverys is very real!!
    Hope no one has taken personal offense. Just very frustrating to find a very cool place locked up by the uninformed! I do have pictures of the signs and discovery post and will try to post them shortly.
    Kirk if you are still watching, shoot me an email I would still like to meet up with you sometime.
    Steve
    Just saw this thread wwith some recent activity. Some great photos. Being somewhat of an oldtimer on this forum I would like to inform members we try not to give actual directions to locations for the reason to try not to incourage riff raff from finding sites. We believe that if you are interested one can do more research to find old mines and ghosttowns.
    Thank you guys for being active on this site.
    Also I lived in Ridgefield WA,by Vancouver, fo several years and have been to the area you are talking about but didn't do any exploration.
    Last edited by teds280z; 12-30-2013 at 05:52 AM.
    I'm not a Republican
    I'm not a Democrat
    I'm an American

and I want my Country back

Quote Originally Posted by teds280z View Post
    Just saw this thread wwith some recent activity. Some great photos. Being somewhat of an oldtimer on this forum I would like to inform members we try not to give actual directions to locations for the reason to try not to incourage riff raff from finding sites. We believe that if you are interested one can do more research to find old mines and ghosttowns.
    Thank you guys for being active on this site.
    Also I lived in Ridgefield WA,by Vancouver, fo several years and have been to the area you are talking about but didn't do any exploration.
    absolutely. now I know better than to be blunt about directions for some places. not that the info isn't available it just is easier to go to the internet and find it quickly then spend time reading to find what you want. I used to be frustrated by all the people that would post pictures about there cool finds but not tell you where. now I am the one not telling where I find everything. funny how it works. when you put research time, boot time, and shovel time into something funny how all of a sudden you don't want everybody just walking up and takeing advantage. not that I care if you come help yourself that's the point. just frustrating to find areas you have gone to locked up.
    anyway I was unable to make it to any of the mines this last year(2013). I was blessed with the birth of my daughter in feb and have been slammed busy since. had a few reports from copper that someone is up working copper queen. second hand info so don't know for sure. if they were I would be mighty curiuos if they did any good. just curious myself. have heard that working the moss up there is the way to go. make sure you belong to the club that has the placer claim first tho PLEASE. anybody make it out there this last year? let us know what your experience was. we always like to know how its looking out there.
    ok first to start it this year. whos up for mabee this summer? kirk still around? would love to meet up and compare notes one day still. hopefully we can get a trip together, I want to get up in there bad!!
    also for the gentleman that posted the wall street mine pics. color me jealous!!!! that is on my wish list of places to explore. liberty area if ya didn't know. the name in there is one of the original explorers up in the area. VERY COOL!!!! always neat when you can actually touch history not just read about it!!!
    steve

Default Copper Creek Mines

Hi everyone,

I'm going to attempt to locate the mines along Copper and Miner's creeks (Black Jack and Miner's Queen) tomorrow. I'm not too worried about finding them, it should be pretty easy, but if anyone wants to come let me know! I'll be leaving from NE Portland sometime in the AM.

grahams107[at]gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post

I do have a question for you guys though; does anyone know anything about the Cheney Creek Mine(s) and the Ogle Mountain Mines? They're in Oregon relatively close to Mt Hood, I'm especially interested in the Ogle Mountain Mines because they are said to have been very extensive, but I don't know about the current condition of these mines.
    Location is here for the Ogle Mountain Mines. If you go up there, I'd love to ride with you. Here's a newspaper article about them from 1904. 500 foot tunnel that goes down 200 feet.
    Pacific Northwest Ghost Town Travel Blog: http://pnwphotoblog.com/ghost-towns/
    Ghost Town Map: http://ghosttownmap.com/

Quote Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
    Location is here for the Ogle Mountain Mines. If you go up there, I'd love to ride with you. Here's a newspaper article about them from 1904. 500 foot tunnel that goes down 200 feet.
    I'm very interested to go, but it's such a long drive according to Google Maps that it might never happen. Also I've noticed that the Ogle Mountain Mine area has been logged heavily making a collapse even more likely. I'll post on here a few days in advance if I do end up going though!

Thread Information