Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Mabee Mines-Washougal WA

Default Warmer weather

Hi Ryan,

That is a great picture. I love that spot. We try to stop there every time we go past it. I do get a bit concerned by the vertical cracks running down thru the rock. It sure looks like the front portion is ready to fall off down the canyon. I'd hate to ride that one down.

Let us know after you go up that way again. I will be interested how the snow level is and the access to Copper Creek. It is not likely that I will have time to get up that way until May or June at the earliest. But I am hoping to get up there at least a few times this summer.

hey guys......Keep this thread alive! I am still waiting to hear more of Kirk's stories, and the weather is just about to start getting good enough to start getting out there and seeing some of this stuff. Keep the posts coming!!!

Brian

Default Miner's Creek Mines

Hi Brian,

I've been gone on business trips for the past two weeks. Just got back recently and trying to catch up on all the work. But I sure enjoyed the bit of sun we had today, and it made me think that exploring old mines is just around the corner.

Anyway, another nice set of old mines are the Miner's Creek Mines. These are on Miner's Creek which flows into Copper Creek near the east end. To get there you go down to Copper Creek (past the green gate), cross the new bridge, turn left and head upstream (downstream takes you toward Star Creek, which I wrote about awhile back). The trail starts out like a road for a good way(except for a washout). And then it turns into more of a trail. You have to again cross to the North side of Copper creek and follow a very old road/trail over to the Miner's Creek valley. Not far from crossing Copper Creek you will be posed with a fork in the trail. The left one takes you over to Miner's Creek. The right one takes you back to Copper Creek where there are several smaller mines on the north bank of Copper Creek.

Anyway, once you get to the Miner's Creek Valley, you will run into a horizontal mine on the South bank. And a vertical mine next to it. There is also a vertical mine accross from these on the north bank. And there are a couple of other mines further upstream, but these are harder to find.

These were some of the early mines that we discovered, and hold a lot of fond memories of the adventure. The horizontal mine on the south bank presented us with our first adrenaline rush. The entrance had caved in, leaving a pile of rubble blocking the access into the mine except for a very small hole to crawl through. In other words, if we were going to get into it, we had to lay on our stomachs, crawl over the rubble pile, and at the same time squeeze between the rubble and the roof of the mine. There was just enough room to fit between the pile of rock and the roof of the mine. What made it worse was the fact that when you poked your head and shoulders into that small space, it cut off all light, making it pitch dark to climb into. All kinds of thoughts of bears and other wild animals went thru my head as I was the lucky one to go in first. Also, it is a bit disconcerting once you stand up inside and realize that the entrance has collapsed at some point in the recent past, pretty much blocking the way, and wondering if it was so inclinded to do so again in the immediate future.

Thankfully, there were no large wild animals in there (at that time anyway), just the cave spiders we came to expect. Since the pile of rubble blocked the opening, water couldn't flow out of the mine very well so there was about 18 inches of water in the bottom (boy is that water cold!). If you are not afraid to get wet, this mine is about a couple hundred feet long. I don't believe this one has old timbers in it. The rock seems pretty stable (except for the entrance).

Outside the mine is a nice place for a picnic near the creek. And it is a nice creek for kids to play in.

You will have to go see the other mines at this location to discover what they have to offer. I don't want to spoil all of your excitement.

All in all, these are some of our favorite mines to visit due to their remoteness, yet reasonably accessable nature. I would recommend them to anyone capable of an intermediate difficulty hike.

Have fun exploring!

Kirk

Question Kvan

Kirk, are you affiliated with KVAN radio in Vancouver?

Default Nope

Hi, No, relation there. But I do live in Vancouver.

So, has anyone gone out exploring mines yet this year?

Kirk

Default Where are all the Maybee Miners?

So are all of you running around Silver Star Mtn exploring the mines and not sharing? With the nice weather lately I would have expected at least one or two of you to get out and play around up there???

Come on, let us know what you are finding!

Kirk

man i ran around mabee mines a lot and never even thought to look for a mine. i used to run out there after work to wheel or go for a hikle just becous it was close at the time.

Now i go to elk city or Valsets now that im in siletz or

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Default Kernville?

Hey Salamander,
    I heard there's nothing really there in Valsetz anymore, except maybe one building. Have you gone to (Old) Kernville? Anything there to see? Got any pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsarevna View Post
    Hey Salamander,
    I heard there's nothing really there in Valsetz anymore, except maybe one building. Have you gone to (Old) Kernville? Anything there to see? Got any pictures?

valsetz is just a wherehouse

old kernvill still hase soem i can get you pictures as its about 20 minuets from my house by main road and 10 by off road

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Excellent, I can't wait for pictures. I keep meaning to go to kernville, but with gas recently at $3.47 that became out of the question.

Thread Information