Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Mabee Mines-Washougal WA

We were driving on forest road 41 today and came across this hole next to the road, looks like an old mine entrance, approx 2 miles west of Bluff trailhead.

View into the opening...

Nice pics, Rob. Thanks for sharing.....Speedy

I agree, nice pictures.

That mine has always baffled me. It is hundreds of feet above creek level unlike almost all of the other mines in the area. Someone sure went to a lot of work digging it there, they must have seen something of interest, although I have no idea what.

So Rob, is the snow all gone up there? At least off the road?

Several years ago, a friend and I tried to get up there on Memorial Day. We had to stop well short of that mine due to heavy snow on the road.

Thanks,
    Kirk

There was absolutely no snow along the road. Looking up at Silver Star there were some patches visible in shady spots near the summit on the north side. We made it up to the Bluff Mountain trailhead in a Ford Taurus so it can't be that bad. The worst thing was the potholed stretch near where 4109 branches off.

I collected a small amount of gravel from a stream west of that mine and panned down to a few tiny flecks of what I believe to be platinum...and that stream looks like it flows into Copper Creek so is a tributary of the East Fork Lewis. Maybe the source of the platinum that wound up in the Lewis placer deposits is in the vicinity of this mine?
    I imagine that as with the gold veins in the Silver Star area any platinum would be so thinly spread as to be uneconomical to mine.

Kirk, have you been into this mine? If so how far in does it go?

Also, forest road 4107 that leads down from 41 to Miners Creek and Copper Creek is closed with a gate, looking at the USGS map of that area there are a bunch of mines down there. Do you know why it is closed off?

Here is a shaded USGS topo of the area for those not familiar with it, you can see the mine in my earlier pics marked in the top left section along 41:

Rob
    Last edited by Redcoat Rob; 06-09-2007 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Added info & map

Default mines

actualy when they were going for copper back in 1902 the found a small vien of silver so they tried to mine it. If you go back into the mine a few hundred feet back you might find a couple old picks. Just go to the forest department they will fill you in on the goodies

Hi Rob,

I thought I had already answered your questions above. But I think I started to and then got called away, and it never got submitted. I'm sorry about the delay. Also thanks for the update on the road conditions. Answers below.

Kirk, have you been into this mine? If so how far in does it go?

Yes I have been in that mine a few times. It doesn't go back very far (about 30 feet or so if my memory is correct). But it is very easy to get to, so it is great for beginners, little kids, or the wife who doesn't want to "tramp all over God's green Earth, looking for holes in the ground" with you.

Also, forest road 4107 that leads down from 41 to Miners Creek and Copper Creek is closed with a gate, looking at the USGS map of that area there are a bunch of mines down there. Do you know why it is closed off?

I believe so. There are a bunch of mining claims down along the creek behind the gate, owned by a local gold prospecting club. I think they use it to control access. But many times the gate is wide open. Even when it wasn't , it usually wasn't locked. All we had to do was push it open. I drove down there last year when my boys and I hiked up Star Creek.

And yes, there are a bunch of mines upstream from that point that are well worth searching out.

So, has anybody else gotten up around Silver Star yet? I am waiting for some good stories of mine discoveries.

Have a great 4th of July!

Kirk

Default No adventure yet

Hi Kirk & All, Ryan here. I personally haven't been able to get out yet on road 41 or 4107. My mother-in-law is moving out after six years and my wife and I have been helping out quite a bit. With her mother gone, that will give us an additional 1200+ SF.

The closest I got to doing a little exploring was the Skamania Mines Road two weeks ago. I took my 5 year old son Joshua. We went by Larch Mountain and took the 1200 road I think. Nasty road. The road goes by the one of the trailheads to Silver Star Mtn.

I did snap a picture of the warning sign on Skamania Mines road. I sure would like to check that one out with permission. Looks like they guard the area pretty well. Very interesting area. Quick views of Silver Star and Bluff Mountain.

Like most of the
    low lying areas, there needs to be some serious brush clearing or logging. These old mining areas would make really neat hiking trails, etc. Lots of history up there.

It's too bad it's buried in brush and rocks. I am suprised it's not state land where Skamania Mines are located. Here is a photo of the sign. I can't wait to get out after the m-in-law moves August 5th.

Ryan

Default Summer's almost over. Any one get up there?

Hi all, I have been swamped with work for the past 6 weeks and haven't been able to hardly even think about getting up around Silver Star. I hope to before the rains set in.

How about it? Anyone else get up there recently?

Kirk

Smile Same problem!!!

Kirk....Unfortunately.......I have been in the same boat as you. Bogged down with work and other "summer activities" and haven't been able to make it up the mountain. Its still on my "To do" list though and I am still planning to make it up there before the weather sets in. Keep us posted on any new...(or old...) discoveries, if you have any. I am still thinking you are holding out on us alot!! =)

Brian

Gravelrash is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Default Great post

This has to be one of the best threads I've read on this site so far.
    It had it all, the initial enquiry and a bit of info dribbling in and then Kirk appears and "it was on for young and old."
    I know I will never see any of these mines but the pictures took me there. With a little recall of my first mine discovery I was able to feel like I was there. The posts that started coming in really conveyed the whole excitement and I learned a heck of a lot of interesting stuff about the American wilderness.
    Coyote calling! What the %$#*%!! This I have to try!
    Mothers-in-law that take up 1200 sf! Gold prospecting clubs that control access, snow levels being something to consider (what is snow??), snow melts affecting water heights and access, things we naver have to consider in Oz..... the whole post was just one great adventure for me, an armchair traveller a long way away!
    Thanks guys, it was a great thrill to be along with you all. I can't wait to hear more. I hope you all get up there this year.

Thread Information