Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nevada Drugstore Bottles Wanted.

Default Nevada Drugstore Bottles Wanted.

I bought an old Nevada drugstore bottle for a few bucks at a garage sale, and now I want to start a collection. These bottles have the pharmacy or druggist's name embossed in the glass. (newer ones have paper labels, these are not wanted). If you have any embossed Nevada drustore bottles that you can sell to me, please contact me at aloulis@charter.net
    Thanks,
    silverfox.

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Default Old collectables

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    I bought an old Nevada drugstore bottle for a few bucks at a garage sale, and now I want to start a collection. These bottles have the pharmacy or druggist's name embossed in the glass. (newer ones have paper labels, these are not wanted). If you have any embossed Nevada drustore bottles that you can sell to me, please contact me at aloulis@charter.net
    Thanks,
    silverfox.
    Silverfox, That valuable find you made at that garage sale, sometimes is all it takes to get hook on a some old time collectable.

It would take hours to fill all of you guys, in on all the collectables we found at garage sales, and flea markets, and antiques shows, over the years.

Sometimes we would find a real treasures for pennies on the dollar. My wife is mostly into glasswear, But I'am into old west items such as spurs, chaps, and old leather, and Native American collectables.

Most of the collectables we pass over to our kids, when we sold the 5 bd. home and moved into a smaller place.

When we read the post that Silverfox, wrote about finding some old bottles at a yard sale peek our intrest enough to pass on some interesting information we had in our archives about trying to date some of these items, when you fellow explorers, are out exploring the back roads.of the old west.....or just at a yard sale.

Ghost towns and abadoned mining camps have aroused a great amount of curiosity as to when they were occupied and then suddenly abandoned and why.

Certain periods of the old west can be dated by what is found laying around the ruins or in their city dumps.

Another method for arriving at dates of an unknown sites lies in the old newspapers often found in the old shacks, The mininers used the newspapers for insulation so if you can make out the date of the newspapers,thats a helpful clue.

The town also may have old tools, laying around that you may use also to date the ruins,the old monkey wrench, was a very popular tool, in the old west and I remember a old mine was dubbed, the "Monkey Wrench Mine" because the founder of this mine, broke off a chunk of this rock with his Monkey Wrench, which turned out to be a very rich strike.

You can go to the (archives search) and read all about that topic i wrote about a couple years ago and about (How these old Mines, and Camps) got there names.

Through the years the design and stlye of articals, manufactured for consumption have changed for example bottles, and cans, excellent source for dating.

As we all know in most of all these old mining camps we have explored we have all seen these items laying among the ruins such as tin cans,square head nails, and old bottles,

Now old camps and their tin cans, active before 1900 can be dated by soldered seams, on the cans, and when you spot nails, in the boards or laying around check to see if they are square nails, if so they are pre- 1900 and if you see any beer bottles they are most likely all have finish necks.

Bottles of this period all have corked typed lids or stoppers not caps as they do today. And the mining camps pre...1918 WWI
    show abundance of purple glass fragments, whereas younger camps have little purple glass and abundance of clear glass.

Purple glass found in older camps was originally clear, but do to the being exposed to the sun such a long time a photochemical there was a change in the manganese oxide in the glass, and this made the color change to purple.

It sould be remembered that some of the real old bottles did not contain any manganese; therefor remained clear.

bottles found in old mining camps often have surfaces,some are beautifully iridescent. This is a result of excessive alkalis, especially sodium in the mix. Most utilitly glassware found in old camps is known as soda-lime glass.

Alkali content was not well controlled in the olden days, but was curtailed when glass commenced to be produced by the machine. Glass at the older camps is therefore likely to have corroded or iridescent colors surfaces.

But after we did a little research we found the manufactures that mass produced these items, did this mainly so they could make bigger profits. in less time. and this is what started the mass-production wave, and the manufacture started mass producing the round nails or wire nails,the term that is used today. and the manufacture of bottles,with finish necks and the seem went clear to top of the neck.

In the southwest pioneers used squaredhead nails with the tapered flatt shanks, very early and were very popular soon after the Cilvil War, uptill the 1900.

Another period in manufacturing of bottles is that in the 1920s and 1930s, the bottles had finished necks and the tin cans, were cripped instead of soldered. We hope that this information is helpful to Siverfox, and his new hobbie, and other fellow ghosttowners. There is much more to learn about dating items, from the old west but we hope this is a start for you new explorers.

Your fellow Ghosttowners
    Johnnie & Sheila
    Last edited by Johnnie; 01-25-2007 at 05:20 AM.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Johnnie & Sheila, GREAT post! I've printed it out, it'll be a good reference to help us date some of our finds. Thanks so much!

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Purple glass found in older camps was originally clear, but do to the being exposed to the sun such a long time a photochemical change in the manganese oxide in the glass, causing the color to change to purple.
    I have a paper some where that helps date glass. IIRC purple is around 90 -100+ years old. IIRC the deeper the purple, the older it is. Blue is around 75.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

Default Dateing old glass

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    I have a paper some where that helps date glass. IIRC purple is around 90 -100+ years old. IIRC the deeper the purple, the older it is. Blue is around 75.
    Thanks Gary, That information, sounds interesting. We will all be looking forward to finding more clues to dateing a lot of our old glaassware from your archives.

What we posted is just about all we have found for dating glass.

Thanks again
    Johnnie Sheila

Post dating old glass

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    Johnnie & Sheila, GREAT post! I've printed it out, it'll be a good reference to help us date some of our finds. Thanks so much!
    There is so much to learn Laura, about old items from the past, how they were made, where they were made, when did the manufacturer take over and mass produce items, And how hand made idems, fell to way side over the last 50 years.

Through the years Sheila, and I studied up on antiques, and colectables, and have had a lot fun doing this as a hobbie Sheila, has been an expert on mostly dolls, and dainty things for the display case.

But i have found old photogaphs, and old paper items, and western stuff, more my cup of tea. Everday i find out something interesting about someting i have found, or that we have collected over many years of collecting that we wern't aware of before.

One hobbie that was fun for me was exploring, and started for me when i was a kid, when a couple friends, and i found an cabin out in the hills on this ranch that my parents took me and my friends too. so they could visit my uncle.

The cabin was wide open and full of stuff, and to us kids, it was like stepting back into the old west, there was guns, on the wall old spurs, lined on the mantel and chaps hanging on hooks, on the other side of the cabin. You name it and it seem to be there.

WOW! was that fun looking through all the old photograps of cowboys, and looking at some indians stuff, and old mining towns photos, and picture of my uncle, standing by the stage coach that my grandfather owned in 1890 and a collection of old newspapers dating back to the 1890s

Thats when i got hook, on the old west. I know where the picture is as of 1990 of my uncle standing by my grandfathers stagecoach.

But when I asked the lawer that owned The photograph if i could buy it, he said i could not give that photo up. Your uncle gave that to me back in the 1940s when i did some work for him.

Well i could ramble on for hours but thats what happens when you got a captured audience i sometimes I get carried away. my apology

Johnnie
    Last edited by Johnnie; 01-22-2007 at 05:29 AM.

Johnnie and Sheila,
    Thanks so much for such a warm and informative response !!, much appreciated.
    Silverfox.

Lightbulb Some Corrections

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    Johnnie and Sheila,
    Thanks so much for such a warm and informative response !!, much appreciated.
    Silverfox.
    Glad to help out Silverfox, But had to make some corrections.

We are not real sure about some of the information that i gave about the bottles pre... 1918 and the term finish neck i was going by memory and i was real tired when i wrote the post.

As i remember the term finish neck was refering to when the bottle was made by hand the neck of the bottle was added later.

Not like the bottles made after 1918 when the seem went all the way up to top of the lip.

If anyone wan'ts to add or correct our findings we welcome any new input.

Johnnie & Sheila

We have boxes and boxes of old bottles that we don't know what to do with. I have catalogued each one as best I could by color, size, markings - any type of description.

Most are either brown, turquoise, or green. There may be purples, too. I don't remember. I remember that one is a 3 pc. mold. Some lips have been applied. A couple still have liquid in them. Most are beer, I guess. There are others, as well. I think there are a couple that look like the materials that you would find as crock material.

We want to sell them. I have absolutely no idea how to do that - let alone how much to ask. When I say bottles, I mean lots and lots of bottles. When we were younger, we would go to ghost towns bottle hunting. Now, as we are in our "silver years," LOL it's time to dispose of them.

Any ideas regarding how to sell the lot let alone their values? Just think generic bottles w/ some special ones. At least, that is my opinion. I have a list of most of them.

There are two I will keep. One is a Kellog's Whiskey bottle (maybe its embossed w/ sour mash) - brown - and absolutely perfect! I had gotten mad at hubby and went stomping down a wash. There it was embedded in the wall of the wash! That one has memories.

Yes, I do have 1 Nevada Medicine bottle. It is clear and says Tonopah Drug (I think). Again, no idea of the value.

Can anyone help?

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

This is from Kovel's Price Guide. You can register for free on their site and do a limited search for information and prices on your bottles. Hope this helps.

Category: Bottle
    Pattern or Item: Medicine Description: Tonopah Co., Tonopah, Nevada, Pale Amethyst Tint, 7 3/8 In.
    Price: $82.50

Thread Information