Thread: Az and NM Ghost Towns

Default Az and NM Ghost Towns

Great site. Ive been Ghost Towning for the past 30 years in both Arizona and New Mexico. Ive been to well over 100 sites but still have more to get to.

Yesterday got back from Vekol and the Ventana cave. Nice day trip. Vekol does have an armed guard and will ask you to leave but after talking with him he let us take some pics.

I would be glad to answer any ?'s about sites in either states. Instead of listing where Ive been I can tell you the five places in both states I still need to get to with some of my ?'s.

Ruby, Az- Im always kicking myself for not getting there yet. Does anyone know can you just show up anytime with your $13 and look around?

Sunnyside, Az- Looking to get down there sometime this summer. Ive heard great things. How hard is it to find?

Copper Creek, Az- Any info?

Shakespear, NM- I spent 8 years in New Mexico and never made it here and am kicking myself. I will go someday though.

Magdalena- Another one that was always out of the way but need to see. Anyone been there?

If you have any ?'s about sites in both states I will answer them if I can. Also if you see a 95 JEEP Wrangler out on the trail say HI..............

scott

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Smile

Hey ESTREET: Welcome aboard. Guess you have some pics to share..I'm looking forward to it. I am intrigued by your area of investigation. OJ

Hi EstreetMan,
    I have been to Shakesphere and it is neat. you need to see it. As for Magdalena I live 26 miles from there and seen it all, its a real laid back place with lots of mining history, go the the kelly mine when you go there, you will spend lots of time checking it out.

Kelly
    Socorro N.M.

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Ruby, Az- Im always kicking myself for not getting there yet. Does anyone know can you just show up anytime with your $13 and look around?
    I attached a picture of Ruby's info sign, but its probably impossible to read at that size. The town is open Thurs-Sun. Admission is $12.00. Phone number is 520-744-4471.

I've been meaning to visit for years, but I've been waiting for a "special occasion" when I won't have to go alone.

Sunnyside, Az- Looking to get down there sometime this summer. Ive heard great things. How hard is it to find?
    Its well worth the trip. You just have to know when to "zig" and when to "zag". See my post for more information and pictures: http://forums.ghosttowns.com/showthr...ight=sunnyside

Copper Creek, Az- Any info?
    I love Copper Creek and the old Sibley mansion. Haven't been there in years, hear some of its gated off, but still worth the trip.

Shakespear, NM- I spent 8 years in New Mexico and never made it here and am kicking myself. I will go someday though.

Magdalena- Another one that was always out of the way but need to see. Anyone been there?

If you have any ?'s about sites in both states I will answer them if I can. Also if you see a 95 JEEP Wrangler out on the trail say HI..............

scott[/quote]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Been to most of those. I went to Vekol with two friends 20 years ago, but it was fenced off. Haven't been to Magdalena or the Ventana Cave.

Where is Magdalena located?

Tom
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
    Been to most of those. I went to Vekol with two friends 20 years ago, but it was fenced off. Haven't been to Magdalena or the Ventana Cave.

Where is Magdalena located?

Tom
    Magdalena is east from where you live, take High Way 60 east from Lakeside to New Mexico then to Datil and on to Magdalena. The wife and I go to the white mountains alot to fish and ride around.Its only 150 miles to springerville from SocorroN.M. here.Magdalena is 26 miles to the west of socorro on HW 60. Socorro is on I 25 about 75 miles south of Albuquerque N.M.

Kelly
    Socorro N.M.

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
    Magdalena is east from where you live, take High Way 60 east from Lakeside to New Mexico then to Datil and on to Magdalena. The wife and I go to the white mountains alot to fish and ride around.Its only 150 miles to springerville from SocorroN.M. here.Magdalena is 26 miles to the west of socorro on HW 60. Socorro is on I 25 about 75 miles south of Albuquerque N.M.
    Eye Seeei,

I've yet to go east of Springerville; will keep that in mind, thanks.

BTW-there was lots and lots of snow over this weekend. Have had a lot of it this winter.

Tom
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Scott, I realize that this post is over a year old but here goes. Magdalena NM is on HW #60, 30 miles or so West of Socorro NM. Not much of a ghost town, since the town is on a main state highway. But now the area around Magdalena is what gets my blood rolling. The towns of Kelly NM, Rosedale NM, Gold Dust NM, Dusty NM, and the names go on from there. I have done alot of detecting in these areas over the years and I am still amazed to see what comes out of the ground.

Thread Information