Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Western Montana 2006

I went back to Comet and met up with Dad to finish exploring the old mill buildings. Major reclamation has occured here.
    This huge boulder looked out of place. We assumed it it ended up there during reclamation blasting.

Inside the old mill at Comet.

I'm standing on the reclaimed area looking at the mill. You can see Comet on the other side of the road.

Much of the history of the places I visited are covered in this book.
    http://www.amazon.com/Montana-Mining...e=UTF8&s=books

We left Comet and retrieved the camper heading to http://www.fairmontrvresort.com/
    to do some laundry.
    I did ride some of the abandoned railroad grade in the Basin area. It often parallels I15. This is also part of the Continental Bicycle route.
    to be continued
    Brad

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

FANTASTIC report and pictures! Reading this is second only to actually being there. It's been raining here all week and this is just what the doctor ordered to chase away the winter blues.

Nice thread, I hope to get out once warmer weather comes. Luckly my wife likes trips.

Great pics, thanks, Brad......Speedy

With our laundry good for another week we departed towards Anaconda and stopped to view the smelter stack from the distant park honoring it. We also had a great breakfast in this town and then departed toward the Georgetown area. The first CG looked a bit shabby so we stopped at the second CG called Spring Hill. The tax collectors,,,ooops I mean "hosts" actually kept this place spotless. The cleanest pit toilets on the whole trip. It was a pretty gloomy day. I took off on the motorcycle in a light mist to explore the area. The Cable Mine road was gated so I noticed my GPS had a point of interest (POI)for the Cable Lookout Tower. Up the road shrouded in drizzle and fog I arrived at the old tower site to find a few relics and a lone pole people had fastened metal junk to. I found apice of metal junk on the ground and continued the tradition. Trying to find a back road to the ghost town of Red Lion I stopped at another POI called the Hidden lake Mine.
    You can see the drizzle has quit and the fog is has lifted.

The old boiler.

Arriving at beautiful downtown Red Lion.

Large building in Red Lion.
    Brad

This area was in fire restrictions so no evening campfire. After eating supper we still had some daylight left and decided to drive the truck over to the Philipsburg area. We had explored this area back in 2004 and I'm glad we went back. This may be the Durango Mine along Camp Creek.

We discovered more stuff in an adjacent area we had overlooked on the previous trip.
    This looked a little more modern and obviously not gold or silver they were processing.

Electric motor for a crusher inside the mill.

Not far from the mill was this large angular adit.

We ran out of daylight and even followed one road that ended in an area we had been at on the previous trip. The truck is just too slow in exploring areas like this. We could see a large mine building in the distance but could never figure out how to get to it.
    Brad

My computer seems to have a power supply problem so there may be some down time between reports. It's working now so I'll try and add some more to the trip. Our next destination was Sloway CG along the Clark Fork River. A nice spot but too close to an active railroad and I 90 for me. My first destination was Keystone. Not much there and private property. You see stuff in a book and say to yourself "I want to go there". The days goal was trying to find Pardee but either I misunderstood the authors information or just wasn't persistent enough. While near Keystone I notice what looked like tailings so I parked the bike and scrambled up a hill to find the Keystone Mine according to the GPS POI.

I backtracked down to the town of Superior and followed Flat Creek up to the Iron Mountain Mill site. Some concrete foundations and not much else. Not far from there it looks like the adit was covered up. Steady mine soup oozing out of the area. I continued on up to a vague location called Pardee. The area I had marked showed no signs of mining activity and the shadows were getting long. Time to head back to camp. This day was a bit of a bust for me. This might be the Little Anaconda Mine.

I wanted to see the Hiawatha Bike Trail and the St Paul Pass tunnel that it passes through. No pictures but worth the side trip if in the area. You can drive over the pass to see the other portal and continue on part of the trail. It was getting too late in the morning to rent a bike and ride this rails to trails so we pressed on to Salmon ID.
    Stay tuned, in the next installment I revisit the old mine that sparked my curiosity as a 6-7 year old kid on a family vacation.
    Last edited by caver; 02-10-2007 at 09:09 PM.
    Brad

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Thumbs up

Brad, Your post is wonderful! You have a real knack for documenting and posting...can't wait 'til the next installment!

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by caver View Post
    My computer seems to have a power supply problem so there may be some down time between reports.
    Hiawatha Bike Trail and the St Paul Pass I revisit the old mine that sparked my curiosity as a 6-7 year old kid on a family vacation.
    Please keep up the great work! Those are some fantastic towns and mines you've been to!
    I dream of finds like that in my neck of the woods!

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Nice posting Brad, thank you.

My old guide shows the following for Pardee:
    From Superior on (I-90), take gravel north from American Legion Hall. Go 4 miles staying on Flat Creek when road forks.
    bb.

Thread Information