Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Western Montana 2006

Beautiful pics, whats the state of Montanas stance on reclamaition? I know Oregon has a cease and desist on a lot of the reclamations, I assumed Montana had something similar with the massive amounts of historical mines throughout their state.
    Corey Shuman
    aka one_bad_rover or Blke36bimmer
    cshuman@goldrushexpeditions.com
    www.goldrushexpeditions.com

Bad Bob,
    Here is my track log from that day.
    I marked aplace called Pardee Camp but it took numerous trial and error road turns to get up there.
    Brad

Rover,

There is some reclamation going on in the state. Rimini, the whole town was having the top soil removed. I know from previous visits that Coolidge has had the mine tailings covered up with soil.
    Brad

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Interesting Brad.

If 1 inch = 1.5 miles, then Pardee must be much farther than 4 miles. Was that a road you followed or just made your own path? Looks like the road on my old directions ended at the sign marked "IronMo" on map (Iron Mountain?). I see Flat Creek, but doesn't appear to be road, or fork, so I'm guessing decades of non use caused the old road to vanish.
    bb.

I know that the biggest reclaimation project the State of Montana was working on,when I lived there, was the tailings piles near Ananconda that was an extensive project that lasted years. I believe I remember Jack Nicklaus or some other notable golfer designed a championship PGA golf course in the newly reclaimed area. I'm not sure many of the other mine sites in Montana received the attention the Anaconda project got. .........

Bad Bob,

The right fork dead ends right past the mill site. It does continue left on the road I followed.
    http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en...16823&t=h&om=0
    Brad

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Thumbs up Great pictures

Quote Originally Posted by caver View Post
    With our laundry good for another week we departed towards Anaconda and stopped to view the smelter stack from the distant park honoring it. We also had a great breakfast in this town and then departed toward the Georgetown area. The first CG looked a bit shabby so we stopped at the second CG called Spring Hill. The tax collectors,,,ooops I mean "hosts" actually kept this place spotless. The cleanest pit toilets on the whole trip. It was a pretty gloomy day. I took off on the motorcycle in a light mist to explore the area. The Cable Mine road was gated so I noticed my GPS had a point of interest (POI)for the Cable Lookout Tower. Up the road shrouded in drizzle and fog I arrived at the old tower site to find a few relics and a lone pole people had fastened metal junk to. I found apice of metal junk on the ground and continued the tradition. Trying to find a back road to the ghost town of Red Lion I stopped at another POI called the Hidden lake Mine.
    You can see the drizzle has quit and the fog is has lifted.

The old boiler.

Arriving at beautiful downtown Red Lion.

Large building in Red Lion.
    great photos Brad, Keep them coming.

Johnnie & Sheilla

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Great info and map Brad,
    much thanks.
    bb.

I never did finish this thread proper but one final destination was a mine up on the Idaho/Montana border. We visited it when I was about 6 and the year was maybe 1969? I think my Dad's slides have a date on them but it's not handy at the moment. We had a relative we visited in salmon Idaho and he took us up to the old Goldstone Mine. This is a little lower than Goldstone. The entrance was boarded up to the left. I think that is me trying to turn the old wheel. That looks like my Mom to the left. Both buildings are still there but the entrance has been blasted shut since we visited in 69.

The same building in 2006.

The tracks lead into the rubble pile where they blasted it shut.
    Brad

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Very nice presentation.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California
    Ghost Town Web site:http://www.donwinslow.net/Ghost%20Towns.html

Thread Information