Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning A Stateside Trip

Default Planning A Stateside Trip

Hey,

I'm from London - England, and I'm looking at maybe doing a term in the US next year, and after my term was planning to do some travelling. I'm considering buying a 2nd/3rd hand off roader (great exchange rate for the foreseeable future) and taking some mates to go see sites.

I'm mainly interested in disused railways - possibly with track and engines (if not I can risk Romania for the last one - the old forest railways shut down and left all equipment to rust) and any 'safe' military installations (and not have to explain why a UK citizen is interested in US defence etc!) Or any decent sites for someone who is not too used to the local environment, and possible 'ghost hunting'.

State location does not matter too much (more of an incentive to travel.)

I hope that makes sense,

Cheers guys,
    Swiper.

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Default Cochise County, Arizona

Welcome Swiper,

There is a railroad running south from Benson, Arizona along the San Pedro River which was used by this tourist train known as the San Pedro Southwest and I think it was the only one, but understand this to be discontinued. This is located in Cochise County which is the location of Tombstone and many worthwhile sites. Check the Arizona section of the website for Cochise County. I'm not sure how to answer your question about "safe" military sites though.

I was in GB back in 1987. Wonderful trip.

Tom
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Cheers for the fast responce - do you know of the status of the railway at the moment?

I'm at uni in Wales at the moment and planning on doing some exploring over the next couple of years of the local installations and those in the UK and Scotland - by my house in London I've stumbled across (literally) some 1940 defences against the expected German invasion but I need to properly research it and conduct some form of investigation into the site.

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

As far as I know it is not being used, unless someone else knows different. There is another section of RR which is unused south of Tombstone near Fairbank running north and south. Since this is in the wilderness area it is accessable only by hiking. Follow this north and you come to this brick structure that was part of Boquillas.

Ft. Huachuca is West of Tombstone. This is one of the active U.S. Army installations that began as a frontier outpost. Some of the original post remains and is open to tourists. One building is rumored to be haunted by a ghost known as Charolette.

Tom
    Last edited by Ghostdancer; 02-11-2007 at 08:01 PM.
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default ghost hunting

AZ is the best Ck out lakehavasughosts.com the london bridge in lake havasu is hunted

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Who's hunting it?
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    Who's hunting it?
    Lake Havasu ghost hunters.

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Hey,

I'm from London - England, and I'm looking at maybe doing a term in the US next year, and after my term was planning to do some travelling. I'm considering buying a 2nd/3rd hand off roader (great exchange rate for the foreseeable future) and taking some mates to go see sites.

I'm mainly interested in disused railways - possibly with track and engines (if not I can risk Romania for the last one - the old forest railways shut down and left all equipment to rust) and any 'safe' military installations (and not have to explain why a UK citizen is interested in US defence etc!) Or any decent sites for someone who is not too used to the local environment, and possible 'ghost hunting'.

State location does not matter too much (more of an incentive to travel.)

I hope that makes sense,

Cheers guys,
    Swiper.
    Those abandoned railroads in Romania really got my attention. I can just imagine hiking through dense forest for hours, to suddenly come across a complete train still on its tracks! My skin would absolutely crawl at first glance!
    I wish I knew of a good abandoned track in Arizona, I would share it with you. I'm sure others will chime in with ideas, though.

Cheers guys, this summer me and a few mates should be going hiking in very remote reaches of Wales to try and do this as well - possibly go over the UK on a trip, make a site for it etc, we can all absail and climb (even if I dislike doing it...) so it should be a good way to 'get ready' for this as I really want to come to the States next year.

I read the stories about Romania in Steam magasine where they found a full railway in the depths of the forest - and were looking for many more 'lost railways'.

I'm one of those guys who is quite happy to live on whatever I can carry for a fair few days if I find something that is 'big'. There is talk of these railways (mainly narrowguage) also being existance in Cornwall - however to risk the bogs (that can easily kill a man - think the villans death in Hound of the Baskervilles) and my lack of knowledge of that local terrain sort of makes that expedition not possible.

And luckily we lack any really dangerous predators (bar 6 Wolverines, and around 10-20 large cats [panthers] that have escaped or been released over the years...) Then again I did find a very large green snake (not a mamba or a grass snake...) in my local woods once.

Cheers guys, are there any truly forgotten lines in the states though? In the mountainous or most deserted desert regions? Like in Romania where when hardship/unforeseen catosptrophy came they just left?

Thread Information