Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Arizona - Iron / Mescal Springs

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

The USGC topo Mustang Mountain covers this area.
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I have a buddy that has done some hardcore hiking in the Whetstones. Let me ask him if there's anything left worth ghosttowning out there. I'd love to do a French Joe Camp if I could find any history to the area.
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Default Iron Springs

That would be cool.

Default Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSneaker View Post
    I'm brand new to this site. I was just wondering if anyone has determined an exact location fo the site for the shootout.

Thanks
    Welcome to the site fellow Silver Citian ! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
    40FORDJIM GHOSTTOWNER SINCE 1965

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I have a buddy that has done some hardcore hiking in the Whetstones. Let me ask him if there's anything left worth ghosttowning out there. I'd love to do a French Joe Camp if I could find any history to the area.
    Not much seems to be known about "French Joe". He is mentioned in the George W Parsons journals a couple of times as "French" Joe Reynard. George wrote a letter for him, (so maybe he was illiterate or not fluent in english) & he joined a possie in Tombstone to chase Apaches. It is mentioned that he had a lumber camp in the canyon that bears his name. I've been there a few times & not seen any ruins, there is an old concrete cattle tank at the spring. It is a pretty place.

Your humble correspondent in FJ Cyn, 03'.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Vulture; 04-29-2009 at 02:16 PM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

That's what I found out. No ruins that are worth the trek out there. That's the problem with camps, too much canvas and lumber to have survived into our age.

A few old mines in the area and the Bathtub Springs where someone did take a tub to. You're correct as to the scenery too!
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

The directions given on the burial site of Curly are almost exact to where a grave was found about a month ago on the Babacomari river. My friend was fishing back by President Reagans retreat, when he was walking out down the old railroad tracks he spotted a skeleton. He called the Sheriff dept and they called out somekind of archelogolical retrieval team for the skeleton. Original thoughts were that it was an indian site, but there were doubts about it, the one thing they were pretty sure of, at first site they did not think it was an illegal.

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Default Curly Bill Hanged In Shakespeare?

So goes two accounts that I read in two books on lost treasures. According to these stories Curly Bill was in a saloon in Silver City, NM when he shot and killed a barmaid. This he did in a rage when he got word that his cohorts in the Skeleton Canyon Massacre didn't believe he should have his share of the loot since he did not participate and planned on telling him that the Mexican smugglers got away.

A posse later caught up with them in Shakespeare and hung him and another and I think a third was killed in a shootout with this posse.

So we have Curly bill being killed by Wyatt Earp at Mescal Springs, hung by a posse in Shakespeare, killed in 1902 in a gunfight in Wyoming.

Tom
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post

So we have Curly bill being killed by Wyatt Earp at Mescal Springs, hung by a posse in Shakespeare, killed in 1902 in a gunfight in Wyoming.

Tom

I have a perfectly logical explination for this..... there were 3 of him :P

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Vulture View Post

Your humble correspondent in FJ Cyn, 03'.
    Now Vulture, please tell me this ain't you !!!!!!
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California
    Ghost Town Web site:http://www.donwinslow.net/Ghost%20Towns.html

Thread Information