Thread: .50 cal weapons, crime...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Talking .50 cal weapons, crime...

I hear you can have .50 cal weapons in Az and several other states. In Calif, we can't. I often think that I'd like Az gun laws here,but I wonder, what the crime rates for each state are,as far as Gun related deaths go. Anyone want to chime in? I'd love to shoot a .50 just once!

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Here's a pretty good blog on the topic of 50-caliber weapons.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Bans on .50 weapons just shows how ignorant the ignoramus's making laws and backing them are. I can kill a person with a .17 just as easy as I can a .50. And do it cheaper too. .50 just makes a bigger mess is all, well that and maybe you can hit them from farther away. But you don't hear of too many gang bangers sniping each other with an M82-A1 that much either

Somebody has been watching too many action movies or listening to rap music about guys running around shooting their Desert Eagles sideways
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

Question .50

Well now, this brings up an interesting question...... do you really need such a weapon out there? I am not anti gun, nor am I a gun nut...I like to think that I am logical when it comes to this (I hate extremist's on both sides of just about any issue).

A .50 is only good for putting a round thru an engine block....yet there would be something fun about having one, I admit.. Let's really get this discussion going and go on to the the 2nd amendment (where's O.J when we need him!). Everybody that cites the 2nd seems to forget the first part..." a well regulated militia being NECESSARY to the security of a free state.." now, do we NEED a militia?
    If not, then the 4th is out the door.
    So let me ask you this..... perhaps the 2nd can only be applied when talking about muskets....since that's all that was around back then.
    Last edited by xplor'npaul; 04-03-2007 at 08:32 AM.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

You mean the 2nd Amendment?

Anyways....

I'm not a "gun nut" by any means, even though I own, *cough* a few. But I can understand the reasoning behind fighting any gun ban in general. The biggest one being that ignorant lawmakers and the uninformed, scared public see criminals using guns to commit crimes. So lets ban all legal gun sales to law abiding citizens. From BB's to .50+. But how many of the criminals are using guns that are stolen, bought on the corner, etc compared to those that are legally bought and licensed? I'd say the belief in an oxymoron "law abiding criminal" is about as childish as believing in Santa Claus.

Myself, I can live without the general public having fully auto, large caliber weaponry. But the question remains, if you give a little, will they take it all? While I don't believe we need guns to over throw a rogue government, (they have nukes and mustard gas after all ) I feel I at least have the right to bare arms to defend myself against all those law abiding criminals out there looking to relieve me of my worldly possessions and possibly my life. Should I choose to do that with a .22LR pistol or a Spaz 12, that's my given right.

The link Laura posted was interesting. They want to ban a $7000+ rifle because of terrorists (ie, the new crutch reasoning) yet there has never been an assault of any kind made with that rifle as pointed out in the messages. That rifle has been around longer than the supposed terrorist threat, and in a line of terrorist arsenal, I believe would be toward the end, just before sticks and stones.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

Default oops

I'm foggy this am....forgive me....yup , the 2nd..... 4th is search and grab...... my apologies......
    Last edited by xplor'npaul; 04-03-2007 at 08:47 AM.

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

[perhaps the 2nd can only be applied when talking about muskets....since that's all that was around back then.

And the first amendment doesen't apply to the internet, tv, movies, or dvd, because, as you say,

they were'nt around back then.

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by xplor'npaul View Post
    I hear you can have .50 cal weapons in Az and several other states. In Calif, we can't. I often think that I'd like Az gun laws here,but I wonder, what the crime rates for each state are,as far as Gun related deaths go. Anyone want to chime in? I'd love to shoot a .50 just once!
    I've had many fun sessions out in the desert shooting my .50 Desert Eagle. Now that baby packs a wallop!

I can't remember any crimes that have been commited (in the history of the world) using a .50 cal. firearm. Have you?

Oh, you better not have one, though, JUST IN CASE you feel like doing something bad with it.

Brian

Thread Information