Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Government To Close Old Mines

Default Government To Close Old Mines

Public help sought in 'treasure hunt' for old mines
    By Todd Hollingshead
    The Salt Lake Tribune
    Article Launched: 04/04/2007 01:14:46 AM MDT

The Utah Geological Survey wants you to join a treasure hunt.
    The sought-after gems? Old mining maps.
    Yes, the UGS is asking people to dig out maps they might have to help in the agency's effort to locate 400-plus abandoned mines in Utah.
    "This is really a public-safety issue," said Dave Tabet, UGS senior scientist. "We hope . . . we can avoid the kind of accidents that have occurred in the eastern U.S., where active mines have become flooded when they intersect abandoned mines and miners are trapped."
    The UGS has nailed down only 58 percent of the mines for a newly created digital database.
    Tabet said the agency hopes to thwart any accidents by making the information available to the public.
    In August 2005, four spelunkers were killed when they were trapped in an underwater passageway in an abandoned mine/cave on Provo's Y Mountain.
    Caving expert Chuck Acklin said "Gollum's Cave" is a natural cave that had an artificial entrance dug out to open up a spring, thus making it a partial mine.
    Crews sealed the treacherous cave after the four deaths.
    Though the UGS is searching for abandoned coal mines, Acklin, who heads the Timpanogos Grotto spelunking group, argues all the abandoned mines need to be pinpointed and covered.
    "The more they can close them, the better," he said.
    Tabet said the current UGS mapping push did not spring from the Provo tragedy, but from mining accidents back East.

Kelly
    Socorro N.M.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Oh yeah, let me get my "secret" list out
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Thumbs down

By the time the Feds get finished (if they get their way) all old mines and mining sites would be bulldozed AND the roads leading to where they once stood would be closed.
    It seems to me that if they want to avoid accidents like the one in the article Kelly posted, the folks who dug the "modern" mine would have done surveys to be sure their current mine didn't bisect any old mines, or if they did, they should have checked for water and made provisions for handling it once it was found....Oh yea, THAT would have cost $$$ and I'm sure the mining company didn't want to spend it.
    With the reopening of some of the old copper mines in our area, I expect we'll be hearing more about the same kinds of accidents occurring. Afterall, with copper prices as high as they are right now, what's the cost of a few American lives to a foreign-owned mining company?
    I contend that people who enter old mines, caves and the like, do so at their own risk. I'm tired of the Feds trying to protect us from ourselves.
    If those of us who want to preserve these sites aren't vocal about our concerns, the Feds will ride roughshod over our silent wishes.
    Last edited by LauraA; 04-09-2007 at 06:05 AM.

If those of us who want to preserve these sites aren't vocal about our concerns, the Feds will ride roughshod over our silent wishes.

WELL SAID, LAURA

Kelly
    Socorro N.M.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    By the time the Feds get finished (if they get their way) all old mines and mining sites would be bulldozed AND the roads leading to where they once stood would be closed.
    It seems to me that if they want to avoid accidents like the one in the article Kelly posted, the folks who dug the "modern" mine would have done surveys to be sure their current mine didn't bisect any old mines, or if they did, they should have checked for water and made provisions for handling it once it was found....Oh yea, THAT would have cost $$$ and I'm sure the mining company didn't want to spend it.
    With the reopening of some of the old copper mines in our area, I expect we'll be hearing more about the same kinds of accidents occurring. Afterall, with copper prices as high as they are right now, what's the cost of a few American lives to a foreign-owned mining company?
    I contend that people who enter old mines, caves and the like, do so at their own risk. I'm tired of the Feds trying to protect us from ourselves.
    I agree 100% and you have summed up my thoughts on the topic.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I've posted this link before, here it is again. If you want to vent, this is a good place to begin. The very least, you'll get is a form letter in return, thanking you for your concern, at best, perhaps an actual response from a harried overworked secretary.
    I've gotten one really good email response from a state mining authority who was forwarded my initial email by a State Representative, but since he's under indictment right now for misappropriation of funds, I doubt anything good will come out of it.

Last edited by LauraA; 04-09-2007 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
    Yep Kelly, looks like most states have pretty much the same thing.
    Here's Arizona's propaganda...err information.

Arizona State Mine Inspector Official Website

Gee let rush right out there and give them all of my secret maps and info for them to exploit.

Oh and BTW thanks for the info Kelly and for the wonderful response from LauraA.

It seems kinda silly. I'd be interested to know if they will actually end up getting any "old mining maps".
    Its amazing to me how the mass mindset is to distroy evidence of and forget the past.

Thread Information