Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mining Equipment found at the Lutz and Pomona Mines in southeastern Arizona

Default Mining Equipment found at the Lutz and Pomona Mines in southeastern Arizona

Hi all!

I was recently scannning the Coronado Forest Service hiking guides to the Huachuca Mountains in southeastern Arizona when I noticed a casual mention of mining equipment preserved up in Lutz Canyon. I searched this forum and noted mention of equipment in a post from several years ago, so I thought that I would go check it out. I wasn't expecting much, since the Lutz Mine wasn't listed as a producer. But was I surprised! After a two mile walk into the Miller Peak Wilderness, I came across one of the best old stationary engines that I have seen in southern Arizona. And with it was a very old Rand Drill Company compressor.

Later that day after walking into a group of Border Patrol officers taking a break from a "chase", they suggested that if I had the energy to "hump it" to the crest of the Huachucas to the Pomona Mine that I would not be disappointed.

A few days later, I took their advice. There I came across a Tram Line, modified engine/winch/slusher, extensive mine workings, and an old chassis with a very complete Chrysler "Silver Dome" engine that apparently made its first appearance in 1928 or so.

So two trips to the Huachucas, and two very satisfactory finds of old machinery!

BTW, if anyone can provide any clues on the identity of the old engine I would really appreciate it.

I have posted a few other photos at:
    www.personal.riverusers.com/~parkse
    Attached Images Attached Images     

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Thumbs up

Toysx2, What neat finds! It's always such an added bonus to find goodies like those when you least expect it.
    Your web site is great! Thanks so much for sharing it.

Toysx2, really nice pictures. Thanks for sharing them....Speedy

Quote Originally Posted by Toysx2 View Post
    Hi all!

I was recently scannning the Coronado Forest Service hiking guides to the Huachuca Mountains in southeastern Arizona when I noticed a casual mention of mining equipment preserved up in Lutz Canyon. I searched this forum and noted mention of equipment in a post from several years ago, so I thought that I would go check it out. I wasn't expecting much, since the Lutz Mine wasn't listed as a producer. But was I surprised! After a two mile walk into the Miller Peak Wilderness, I came across one of the best old stationary engines that I have seen in southern Arizona. And with it was a very old Rand Drill Company compressor.

Later that day after walking into a group of Border Patrol officers taking a break from a "chase", they suggested that if I had the energy to "hump it" to the crest of the Huachucas to the Pomona Mine that I would not be disappointed.

A few days later, I took their advice. There I came across a Tram Line, modified engine/winch/slusher, extensive mine workings, and an old chassis with a very complete Chrysler "Silver Dome" engine that apparently made its first appearance in 1928 or so.

So two trips to the Huachucas, and two very satisfactory finds of old machinery!

BTW, if anyone can provide any clues on the identity of the old engine I would really appreciate it.

I have posted a few other photos at:
    www.personal.riverusers.com/~parkse
    If you like old machinery check some of this out. I probably have several thousand photos of old equipment I have come across in the mountains. http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com...%20Collage.htm What amazes me is how it got there in the first place and then why it is still there. In Colorado the moonshiners used a lot of it, especially the steam / boiler tanks and the government came and claimed some more during war time.
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Thank you for renewing my interest in exploring Southern Arizona!

I've been getting a little bored lately, let the registration on Sammi expire.

I think I'll get back off my *** and start poking around again.

I'd appreciate any specific directions you could share.

Thanks
    Brian

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Sorry. Double posted.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mikejts View Post
    If you like old machinery check some of this out. I probably have several thousand photos of old equipment I have come across in the mountains. http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com...%20Collage.htm What amazes me is how it got there in the first place and then why it is still there. In Colorado the moonshiners used a lot of it, especially the steam / boiler tanks and the government came and claimed some more during war time.
    Great website!! Those are some pretty heavy duty pieces of equipment especially the hoisting machinery. Some of my first fourwheeling trips back in 1969-70 with my Land Cruiser were in the mountains north of Silverton. For some reason, we got away from going in that direction. We shouldn't have.

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by brian10x View Post
    Thank you for renewing my interest in exploring Southern Arizona!

I've been getting a little bored lately, let the registration on Sammi expire.

I think I'll get back off my *** and start poking around again.

I'd appreciate any specific directions you could share.

Thanks
    Brian
    Hey Brian,

Get that Samurai re-registered and ask away. I'll be glad to help out wherever I can.

My brother in law just bought an 88 Samurai. It seems to do real well on back roads, but at highway speeds, for some unknown reason, will suddenly loose power, then after a bit will pick back up. We were over on the Aravaipa last week and ended up coming back to Tucson on back roads.

Default Silverton

We have been going to the Silverton area on & off since 1965 ! There is a lot to see there and something new every now & then. Some of the old stuff is gone now.

Cool article and great pics!
    Thanks!
    Dave Blair

Thread Information