Thread: Ghost Towns near Las Vegas

Default Ghost Towns near Las Vegas

Hey guys, first post here. I'm heading to Vegas in a couple days, and I did some searching online, but couldn't find any "real" ghost towns... you know, the kind that aren't family tourist traps. I did a quick search of the forums too, but many of the threads were pretty old, so I don't know if any info has changed and whatnot.

So, does anyone know of any good ghost towns near Vegas? Something worth visiting... I mean, I love the history of the west, but I don't want to visit a patch of dirt, you know what I mean? By myself, it would be a trip, but I'm gonna be with a couple more people who aren't nearly as into this stuff as I am, so I'd like to have something for them to look at. I'd more like to see ruins than restored buildings... things like old mine shafts, pulleys, foundations, maybe a really old car or something, you know what I mean .

So, does anyone know of any place that fits the bill? Or even if it doesn't, feel free to recommend ANYTHING! I'd like to do more than gamble this time.

GPS cooordinates would be a definate help, if you have them. Again, I looked online and couldn't find much...

I won't have much internet access the next few days, I'm leaving tomorrow for MN before Vegas, but you can email me directly at mitragorz@gmail.com.

Thanks a lot guys, I look forward to hearing back!

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Mitragorz View Post
    Hey guys, first post here. I'm heading to Vegas in a couple days, and I did some searching online, but couldn't find any "real" ghost towns... you know, the kind that aren't family tourist traps. I did a quick search of the forums too, but many of the threads were pretty old, so I don't know if any info has changed and whatnot.

So, does anyone know of any good ghost towns near Vegas? Something worth visiting... I mean, I love the history of the west, but I don't want to visit a patch of dirt, you know what I mean? By myself, it would be a trip, but I'm gonna be with a couple more people who aren't nearly as into this stuff as I am, so I'd like to have something for them to look at. I'd more like to see ruins than restored buildings... things like old mine shafts, pulleys, foundations, maybe a really old car or something, you know what I mean .

So, does anyone know of any place that fits the bill? Or even if it doesn't, feel free to recommend ANYTHING! I'd like to do more than gamble this time.

GPS cooordinates would be a definate help, if you have them. Again, I looked online and couldn't find much...

I won't have much internet access the next few days, I'm leaving tomorrow for MN before Vegas, but you can email me directly at mitragorz@gmail.com.

Thanks a lot guys, I look forward to hearing back!

Try here..... http://www.lvlg.com/lasvegas/attracts/ghstwns.htm

or here...http://www.vegas4locals.com/lasvegasghosttowns.html

or here...http://home.earthlink.net/~ghosttowns3/nevada/index.htm have fun!
    Last edited by bad bob; 05-11-2007 at 06:31 PM.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Closest non-tourist trap g'town with ruins- Rhyolite.

Not much other than that that isn't "touristy" of some type, or that has been pretty much vandalized beyond recognition. If you were traveling in a competent 4X4, I could come up with some others. But they'd be a ways off and likely a full days trip to and back.

I'd highly recommend the mine tour in Nelson, NV. It's about 30 miles south of Vegas. http://eldoradocanyonminetours.com/tourprices.htm

Lots of ruins and stuff to see in and around Nelson itself.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

Thanks guys, I'll be sure to check them out.

Thread Information