Thread: Pearl, ID Trip Report

Default Pearl, ID Trip Report

I took my kids up to Pearl, ID today to see what was left of the town, and there wasn't much. All the buildings are gone, including the foundations. There are still a few ruins here & there but they really cleaned it out. The entire area seems to be private property now, except for the townsite. Most of the side roads are gated & posted; I was going to try to find the cemetary but the road that leads to it was gated & locked shut. It's changed a lot, there's not much left. I hadn't been there since the 80's when I was a kid, but I remember there being a lot to see.

Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/thomas.a.butler/Pearl

Tom

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

All too disturbing report with great photos, Tom. You certainly have my thanks.

bb.

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Smile

Tom: Really enjoyed the report and photos. Did you find out where the cemetery was located? Can you descibe the location? Just curious after looking all over for it. OJ

Thanks guys!

OJ - Found a little more info about the cemetary on this page:

http://www.rootsweb.com/%7Eidgem/history.htm

"The Pearl cemetery is on private property, in Section 16, Twp. 6 North, Range 1 East, B.M., in the southeast corner of what is now Gem County."

I'm not sure how to read these coordinates, I plugged the numbers into topozone.com but they plotted the location at the exact center of section 16, which is probably incorrect. Looking at the topo map, I saw a few structures in the northwest corner of section 16 and thought that maybe that's where it is, just a guess. The road leading up in that direction was gated & locked, but there was a mailbox there and later I wondered why I didn't stick a flippin note in there.

T

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Cool

Tom: The section (16), Township and Range gets you a square mile. The structures you refer to are in the NW most part of the section, about a mile and a half from the town. The Section, or square mile, itself is in the SE most part of the county. I was guessing the cemetery to be just off the old Pearl road, closer to the river, and just over a half-mile W of Pearl itself. Oh well, maybe next time. OJ

Thread Information