Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wonderland Hotel in Elkmont, TN Gone??

Angry Wonderland Hotel in Elkmont, TN Gone??

I have received an email reporting that the Park Service has finally succeeded in tearing down the Tennessee Historic Endangered List Wonderland Hotel in the Elkmont Campground of the Smoky Mountains. Does anyone have a report of this?? Has anyone been up there in the past few months? I read that they are taking the hotel apart by hand and warehousing all historic artifacts and shipping the rest out of the park. This is the first plan which also includes the removal of almost all the ghost town houses on Millionaires Row just above the hotel.

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Well i haven't been to TN, but I've heard of this hotel, and I hope it still stands.

*fingers crossed*
    Last edited by Tsarevna; 05-24-2007 at 06:28 PM. Reason: grammar

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Mike, That's disturbing news indeed but I'm afraid it's a sign of the times. First they set about to eliminate our free access to these sites and then they "reclaim" the land. (that's government-speak for bulldoze that sucker.)
    It's very sad to see our physical history lost forever.

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Post Physical History

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    Mike, That's disturbing news indeed but I'm afraid it's a sign of the times. First they set about to eliminate our free access to these sites and then they "reclaim" the land. (that's government-speak for bulldoze that sucker.)
    It's very sad to see our physical history lost forever.
    Laura, when you mentioned physical history, we had to put in our 2cents We too hate to see anything that is related to history buldozed, vandelized or faded away into oblivion or just plain "closed permently "for no apearent reason. We always thougt this is the land of milk, and honey. I guess not at any more.

And we also wan't to add this. Refering to the term physical history, Just in the last few years we have seen another historical item, dissapear into history that has been around for over 150 years and thats the old everday camera that everyone had at arm reach to snapp the photo of something interesting that someone wanted to preserve and to look back on. in years to come, but now they will be lost in some electronic chip in someones box in the closet.or someones harddrive, and who knows maybe something else will come along that makes that electronic cip obsolete and the photos taking years ago are gone forever.

I guess we are just old fashion we don't like all these new gagets Some things are a good thing, but why can't we keep some of the old gagets available for those who wan't them.

. They even talking about doing away with money, as we know it and what you earn will onto a chip as well What next. We are still trying to deal with the old fashion V H S and all the stuff we copyied over the last twenty years It would take years and lots of time and $$$ to transfer everthing we want to preserve onto D V D and most likely never get around to doing, and will be lost for ever as we know the new photos are slowly disapearing from the from everyone private collections. and are stored away in someones hardrive and may be lost for ever We say bring back the old 35mm camera and film and save "physical history". the old fashion way on paper in a photo album

The old fashion ghosttowners
    Johnnie Sheila
    Last edited by Johnnie; 05-26-2007 at 02:52 PM.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

You're right Johnnie & Sheila, Times they are a changin' for sure.
    I've still got my old 35mm camera but seldom use it anymore. The instant gratification of seeing my pictures right away on the computer and the savings on film processing keeps me using my digital camera over and over again. Hopefully, the pictures we're uploading to the internet will serve as an archives of sorts and be around for many years to come, I sure hope so.
    It does seem a shame that the "powers that be" can't see that each time they destroy another one of these historical sites, they're eradicating the physical history of our country. Our grandkids might be able to read about these places, but it's for sure, the way things are going, they'll never be able to visit them and see for themselves the actual sites where so much history was made. 'Tis a real shame.
    It's more important than ever for us to preserve the photos, books, written documentation and memorabilia we've all collected over the years to assure future generations will at least be able to see the photos and read about the wonderful things we've been fortunate enough to see in our travels.

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Thumbs up History

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    You're right Johnnie & Sheila, Times they are a changin' for sure.
    I've still got my old 35mm camera but seldom use it anymore. The instant gratification of seeing my pictures right away on the computer and the savings on film processing keeps me using my digital camera over and over again. Hopefully, the pictures we're uploading to the internet will serve as an archives of sorts and be around for many years to come, I sure hope so.
    It does seem a shame that the "powers that be" can't see that each time they destroy another one of these historical sites, they're eradicating the physical history of our country. Our grandkids might be able to read about these places, but it's for sure, the way things are going, they'll never be able to visit them and see for themselves the actual sites where so much history was made. 'Tis a real shame.
    It's more important than ever for us to preserve the photos, books, written documentation and memorabilia we've all collected over the years to assure future generations will at least be able to see the photos and read about the wonderful things we've been fortunate enough to see in our travels.

Thanks Laura, very well said. Yes! things are changing everyday and it is very hard to keep up with such a fast pace for us oldtimers, But as we all know progress, is a good thing and we welcome it, but in this race we are in 50th place, but we are rooting for the rest of you ghosttowners. Keep up the great work.

Johnnie & Sheila
    Last edited by Johnnie; 05-27-2007 at 05:16 AM.

Unhappy Wonderland Hotel Report

Hi Mike,

The Wonderland has indeed been torn down. Some of the details can be found here http://www.nps.gov/grsm/parknews/wonderland-hotel.htm. I was there to watch part of it being torn down - it was sad her go, but time and neglect did more damage than you can imagine. The salvageable historical pieces were removed and are now stored in the park's storage facility in Oak Ridge. The contractor kept, sold or scrapped the remaining material.

Rick Turner
    President
    LRR&LC
    Little River Railroad Townsend, TN

Default Thanks for the Memories - Wonderland Hotel

Thank you for the pics, Mike......Speedy

Default Film of the Wonderland Hotel

Here is a well done UTube film done produced by Dan McCoig that sums up the demise and also gives some history for those interested in the old Wonderland. If something is not done soon the National Park Service, by calculated neglect, will allow the entire ghost town to rot. Then bulldoze it in the name of safety. There are documented viable uses proposed for the structures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R67iB1OoJ2E

Thread Information