Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Visiting Southern Arizona - Need Advice

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4

    Question Visiting Southern Arizona - Need Advice

    My family and I will be visiting Tucson later this month and we would like some advice on the most interesting ghost towns in Southern Arizona (anywhere south and east of Phoenix). We have already been to Gleeson, Courtland, Pearce and Turquoise. I have heard that Charleston is interesting. What others would anyone recommend as particularly interesting? Thanks in advance. (also, are there any that have wooden building remains?)
    Last edited by meadower1; 06-08-2007 at 06:55 PM. Reason: more data

  2. #2
    bad bob's Avatar
    bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    1,418

    Default

    Bisbee is unique to me, being built in the hills. Supposed to have a ghost in one of the shops. And Tombstone is a must see even though a tourist gt, it's still historic. These are just 2 of several in the area.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Thanks badbob. I am looking more for the deserted variety of ghost town...but I do appreciate your reply. Thanks.

  4. #4
    bad bob's Avatar
    bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    1,418

    Default

    OK then, how about Fairbank on AZ 82, and Millville just north of Charleston? SE of Willcox on AZ 186 is Dos Cabezas and further east is Ft Bowie.

    Tubac/Patagonia area: west of Tubac is Cerro Colorado,. East of Tubac is Alto and Salero. East and south of Continental is Helvetia and Greaterville. South of Patagonia is Harshaw, Mowry, Washington Camp, and Lochiel . NOTE: I read here some time ago that one or more of these last four may be closed, or private property, or some such.

    Don't know of any "deserted" sites like Bodie, CA.

  5. #5
    Total Wreck Guest

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by bad bob View Post
    OK then, how about Fairbank on AZ 82, and Millville just north of Charleston? SE of Willcox on AZ 186 is Dos Cabezas and further east is Ft Bowie.

    Tubac/Patagonia area: west of Tubac is Cerro Colorado,. East of Tubac is Alto and Salero. East and south of Continental is Helvetia and Greaterville. South of Patagonia is Harshaw, Mowry, Washington Camp, and Lochiel . NOTE: I read here some time ago that one or more of these last four may be closed, or private property, or some such.

    Don't know of any "deserted" sites like Bodie, CA.
    Fairbank, easy to find, about 6 bldgs under roof, some faked up, cemetary worth a visit, mill site has back stone wall only.

    Charleston& Millville, across the river from each other, melted adobe walls much obscured by mesquite growth.

    Dos Cabezos, some old adobe ruins, still some occupants.

    Cerro Colorado has been bulldozed, nothing remains except the concrete monument of John Poston (alleged) in poor condition. Hardly worth it.

    Alto has one adobe ruin & hard to find grave, beautiful high desert setting. Salero is on private property & next to new McMansion. View from road only, 4 bldgs under roof.

    Helvetia, one melted adobe ruin, little left of walls & smelter site, small cemetary. Nice setting, invigerating hike up to gunsight pass (1 1/2 miles) great view.

    Greaterville, small cemetary, old town site is private property, no access, has occupants.

    Harshaw is private property & occupied, scenic cemetary, Mowry is so destroyed its hard to locate, intrepid explorers can ID about 6 foundations & mines.

    Washington camp, Lochiel & Duquesne are private property. Pretty area, nice drive, can't touch the buildings.

    There's reallty not much left in SE AZ that hasn't been wrecked. Sorry...TW
    Last edited by Total Wreck; 06-09-2007 at 04:09 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Thanks badbob and Total Wreck...I really appreciate your replies and your suggestions!

  7. #7
    brian10x's Avatar
    brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    1,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meadower1 View Post
    My family and I will be visiting Tucson later this month and we would like some advice on the most interesting ghost towns in Southern Arizona (anywhere south and east of Phoenix). We have already been to Gleeson, Courtland, Pearce and Turquoise. I have heard that Charleston is interesting. What others would anyone recommend as particularly interesting? Thanks in advance. (also, are there any that have wooden building remains?)
    You may find Ruby enjoyable. Here's a link to my thread on it. I'd be happy to give you directions:
    http://forums.ghosttowns.com/showthr...highlight=ruby

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    70

    Default Ruby

    Ruby is wonderful! I strongly recommend it......its authentic!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    14

    Default Meadower1 and all.....

    I am also interested in visiting these areas. DOes anyone know if you are allowed to camp out overnight in your camper? I would like to do some painting ( watercolor and pen and ink ) and yes, sneak my metal detector out as well.

    Robert

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Total Wreck View Post
    Fairbank, easy to find, about 6 bldgs under roof, some faked up, cemetary worth a visit, mill site has back stone wall only.

    Charleston& Millville, across the river from each other, melted adobe walls much obscured by mesquite growth.

    Dos Cabezos, some old adobe ruins, still some occupants.

    Cerro Colorado has been bulldozed, nothing remains except the concrete monument of John Poston (alleged) in poor condition. Hardly worth it.

    Alto has one adobe ruin & hard to find grave, beautiful high desert setting. Salero is on private property & next to new McMansion. View from road only, 4 bldgs under roof.

    Helvetia, one melted adobe ruin, little left of walls & smelter site, small cemetary. Nice setting, invigerating hike up to gunsight pass (1 1/2 miles) great view.

    Greaterville, small cemetary, old town site is private property, no access, has occupants.

    Harshaw is private property & occupied, scenic cemetary, Mowry is so destroyed its hard to locate, intrepid explorers can ID about 6 foundations & mines.

    Washington camp, Lochiel & Duquesne are private property. Pretty area, nice drive, can't touch the buildings.

    There's reallty not much left in SE AZ that hasn't been wrecked. Sorry...TW
    We just returned from Arizona where we visited Fairbank. As was indicated in a prior post, some of the buildings were restored and "gift-shop-ized". Personally, I believe that this ruins the spirit and "feel" of a ghost town. The cemetary, on the other had, was perfect! No signs of trying to "tourist it up". It sits at the top of a hill about 1/2 mile north of the town...it is a classic hill-top cemetary in the West. Broad vistas all around, a few graves set off by black wrought-iron fences...it was very cool.
    Last edited by meadower1; 07-08-2007 at 08:28 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. advice for interesting west of Chicago?
    By Lovelyperson in forum Land Types, Land Usages and Access Privileges
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-09-2006, 06:58 AM
  2. Helpful advice for Montana?
    By Richard in forum Directions and Locations of Ghost Towns
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-02-2006, 03:59 AM
  3. Need your advice!
    By Ghosttowns.com in forum History of Ghost Towns and Historical Sites
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-12-2001, 09:01 PM
  4. seeking advice
    By Ghosttowns.com in forum Land Types, Land Usages and Access Privileges
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-1999, 09:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •