Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Animas Fork Colorado

Default Animas Fork Colorado

View of Animas Forks looking down from near old ore processing plant. You can walk through the buildings, look inside them. Road running toward the right slopes up to another mine and ore processing plant about 300 yards further up. Animas Forks is at 11,200 ft. Scenery is nice. Road heading straight ahead leads back to Silverton. Road is unpaved, bumpy/rocky - go no faster than 10 mph but still OK for a car if the car is careful to avoid the rocky parts. We were OK, we had a SUV. In our opinion, this was worth the visit. It was only about 12 miles from Silverton and the rough road was only the last 5 miles of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gary Weaver; 06-03-2007 at 07:01 AM.

Default Been There !!

Nice picture, Gary. We have been in Animas Forks many times. First time was 1965. Hippies lived in those buildings for a while. There are many ghost towns & mines in that area around Silverton. Heading back up in late June for at least two weeks. Beautiful country........
    40FORDJIM GHOSTTOWNER SINCE 1965

Great pic, Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Weaver View Post
    Road is unpaved, bumpy/rocky - go no faster than 10 mph but still OK for a car if the car is careful to avoid the rocky parts. We were OK, we had a SUV. In our opinion, this was worth the visit. It was only about 12 miles from Silverton and the rough road was only the last 5 miles of it.
    Did you drive any farther east or did you stop at Animas Fork? I'm looking for road conditions all the way from Silverton to Lake City.

Default Animas Forks...

I was in Animas Forks saturday and the road to it is fine. I went further up the gulch towards the pass and there was a path cut through by snowplow, just enough room for the mirrors to clear. We didn't try Eng or Cinnamon passes this trip though. They looked ok at the bottom but who knows what's up top. Sorry I don't have better info.

Default 800 Number

Pete, Call 1-800-752-4494 this is the Silverton Visitor Center. They have a board that posts the jeep trail conditions and should be able to assist you. Good Luck.........
    40FORDJIM GHOSTTOWNER SINCE 1965

We visited the Visitor center in Silverton and decided to make the trip to Lake City via Engineer pass based on their input and a email or two with the rangers in Gunnison.

IT WAS THE COOLEST EVER!!!!

I'll post pics later in the week but it was a blast. The road from Animas Forks to the pass was pretty rough in 3-4 places but my rented Durango did fine. The road from the pass to Lake City was much much easier.

Pics later (we spent 10 days in Colorado and took 10 GB of pictures!).

C'mon, share those pictures!

We're planning on visiting Eureka next week from Lake City and then venturing up to Somerset to visit friends. Hopefully we'll remember to take lots of pictures, we're usually the ones who get home and remember we didn't use the camera one bit lol.

Here's a few. Sorry for the quality but it's hard to get under 100kb for a picture. Expecially with a 7 megapixel camera! I'm going to look for a better place to share pictures and will post a link. We took over 2000 pictures in a weeks visit to Colorado.
    Last edited by petefoss; 06-28-2007 at 01:59 PM.

And here's a few more.

I also sent the last picture here where you can get a larger version (1024 by 768 and aboout 500K).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9514956@N08/
    Last edited by petefoss; 06-28-2007 at 02:37 PM.

Thread Information