Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washington state ghost towns

Smile Washington state ghost towns

Hello!
    My husband and I recently visited the old mining town of Liberty, in Kittitas co. Washington and loved it. There are still 16 people and at least 2 dogs living there. Next we plan on visiting two ghost towns near our home in Pierce co.

Would love to share info and history on Washington's ghost towns, although there are not too many.

Cheers to all
    Sandy and Chuck VanOrman

Hello Sandy,

I am an avid photographer of ghost towns and will be in Washington state soon. Are there good sites within driving distance of Seattle? Any reply would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

CJ

Default Washington state ghost towns

Hi!
    Here is a link to a web site that shows the ghost towns of Washington and their distances from the nearest towns.
    www.freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~usa/wa.htm

Let me know if you are unable to access it, and I will send you the info.
    The old mining/ghost town of Liberty is about 130 miles from Seattle, a 2-1/2 hr drive.
    When we were there we talked to one of the residents. I think you will like the town. Some of the orginal buildings still exist.
    I had never used an out-house before! They have them for the passing visitors.

I suggest getting a good map of Washington- there are about 21 ghost towns here, and it will show you the distances from Seattle.
    If you don't mind sending your email, I can send a couple photos of Liberty that I took.
    Next on our list is to visit Burnett, which is here in Pierce co. about 35 miles from where we live.

Good luck!
    Sandy

Anyway, hope the link helps!
    Sandy

Also, check out this site:
    http://www.ghosttownsusa.com/
    Eastern Washington but good info. They also have a book out - very helpful when traveling.
    Don't forget Monte Cristo. Also, Roslyn is interesting in a non-ghost kind of way - inhabited.
    Check out the thread on Weston and Lester, too.

Yep, I a Washingtonian, too.

Sandy - there are actually a lot of GTs here - just mostly in the Eastern half. There is some interesting stuff here, too. There just aren't a lot of remains, but when you do find something that managed to survive the wet, isn't it great!

We once found an old RR grade and the posts that held up a bridge - the rails were long gone - out in the middle of the forest.

Hi!
    Thanks for the reply. I'm actually a transplanted Washingtonian. Was born and raised in California.
    When my husband was stationed at the Fallon NV Naval Air Station we saw a few ghost towns there, which included Virginia City.

We've been to Roslyn, and enjoyed it, but like you said its not quite a ghost town. There is a supposed to be a ghost town about three miles NW of Roslyn called Ronald.
    Then there is Easton, off of I-90, and east of Snoqualmie Pass. We need to check out those GT's too.

Thanks again for the reply!
    Sandy

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Smile

Sandy, I spent a month in Fallon one week in l970. Is Ma's Place still there? I never saw a Ghost in there, but I usually wished I were dead the next day. OJ

Sorry, I don't know if Ma's Place is still there. We were in Fallon in 1978-1980, and I loved it. I come from a long line of desert rats; my ancestors settled in Brawley, California in the Imperial Valley, then Long Beach.

Thanks for the reply!
    Sandy

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

I am traveling to Bellevue in the Seattle area in two weeks for the 6th time. A friend is going to join me and we plan on seeing Lester in Stampede Pass.

I did visit Liberty back in June 2001 when I made my first visit to the area.

Port Gamble is a very interesting old town.
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Default Must-have book

If you are going to visit ghost towns in Washington, there's a book you've got to have. It's called "Lumber Ghosts" A Travel Guide to the Historic Lumber Towns of the Pacific Northwest.

The author includes only towns that are worth visiting, (ie ones that have visible remnants) and he gives driving directions with maps. (Lots of pictures too!)

Trip 1: Bellingham to Tacoma
    (21 ghost town stops)

Trip 2: Puget Sound Loop
    (8 towns, including Port Gamble)

Trip 3: Willapa Hills Loop
    (17 towns including Grey's Harbor City)

The other two planned trips cover Oregon, one in Columbia County, the other down by the Siletz river (Valsetz area.)

The author is Kenneth A. Erickson, ISBN 0-87108-854-1

It's out of print, but one of the best places to find it would be powells.com, amazon.com, or ebay.

Thread Information