Thread: Blue Canyon City, WA and Park, WA: current status

Exclamation Blue Canyon City, WA and Park, WA: current status

Hello, all!

As my first post, I thought I'd contribute something useful: a report on the current status of the ghost towns of Blue Canyon City, WA and Park, WA. Both are found in Whatcom County, Washington. The two towns share a page on ghosttowns.com, and it's terribly outdated and innacurate.

First, let me say the two towns, regardless of how close they are to each other, should have separate pages. They are in very different conditions. Plus they existed for very different reasons; Park was a logging town, while Blue Canyon was strictly a company coal-mining town.

Current Status

Park, WA: Park has two significant attractions at this time. First is the old general store building. Here's a photo. It's a classic two-story wooden construction with a squared fašade. The building now functions as a pretty cool little store for avid bikers. When I stopped in, I told the person minding the store that I was checking out the remains of Park. She invited me to look around inside, and we talked briefly about the building. The floors inside the old general store are the original wood, and they are really amazing to look at; the history really shows in those worn, darkened planks.

Immediately next to the general store is Park's second remaining attraction: an old tin shelter with a chain link fence around it. The shelter stands directly over old, rusty, abandoned railroad tracks. And there under the shelter is a line of old railroad cars. But these are NOT your usual railroad cars. These babies are wooden. Yeah, wooden railroad cars! Here's a photo. The abandoned railroad line is part of the old Bellingham Bay & Eastern Railroad line which shipped coal out from Blue Canyon City starting in 1892.

Blue Canyon City, WA: Blue Canyon City has one **** of a fascinating history, including big money and big explosions. Although the old write-up of Blue Canyon on ghosttowns.com says there are original buildins remaining, I'm sad to report that the last remaining buildings were torn down about ten years ago. I spoke with a woman who lives immediately across the road from where those buildings -- incuding a brightly-painted old post office -- had stood. She told me they'd been bulldozed in the mid-90s. The area where Blue Canyon City once stood is now populated by nice little modern houses, many of them lakeside summer homes. The area is beautiful, but the new developments are sad to see when you know what was once there, and you know the amazing, tragic history of the company town.

Apparently the actual coal mine entrances are still up the hill in the woods, largely obscured by collapses and foliage. A government assessment of the site was done a few years ago, and the detailed report includes photos of a few remains from the mining operation, including the collapsed entrances. You can download the report as a PDF, which includes photos and maps.

There are some vintage photos of Blue Canyon City here. I shot a bunch of photos during my own "quest for Blue Canyon City", and collected them together.

Why not post your pictures and updates on the Blue Canyon and Park page? Or better yet, submit Park as a seperate town and put in your information and photos. You take some pretty amazing pictures btw

Very nice pictures. I've never been to WA. I would love to go there (and possibly live there) sometime.

Who are the people diving off of the bridge? That looks like tons of fun.

I know it's been ages since I first posted this, but it continues to bug me that the main site page for Blue Canyon/Park is SO out-of-date and inaccurate now. Can somebody tell me how to submit a new write-up for the towns?

I was just in Park, WA again this weekend, and visited "The Scooter Store" which occupies the old Park General Store building. It's about the only original structure from either town that still stands. Inside, the floors are still the orginal beautiful wood. There are a lot of beautiful wooden fixtures which also appear to be original; I'll have to ask about them next time.

Anyway, the main page for Blue Canyon/Park is terribly wrong and outdated. How can I submit new information?

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Ward View Post
    I know it's been ages since I first posted this, but it continues to bug me that the main site page for Blue Canyon/Park is SO out-of-date and inaccurate now. Can somebody tell me how to submit a new write-up for the towns?
    Go to the main page at:
    http://ghosttowns.com/
    and click on the e-mail link. there is a sub-section for adding to or making corrections to existing info.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California
    Ghost Town Web site:http://www.donwinslow.net/Ghost%20Towns.html

great info! thanks! hope you submit it for the main town pages - straighten that out as you suggest! the only way to do it!

p.s. great pictures!

Thread Information