Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Often Do You See Signs Like This?

Default How Often Do You See Signs Like This?

Greetings!

I first saw these signs off the Upper Eagle Creek Road to Honeymoon Campground north of Morenci Arizona last Spring. The words in large print so caught my eye, that I had to stop and read the small type! Somehow the words just did not compute--were these a typo or had someone infiltrated the Forest Service? What in the heck was going on? I didn't take a photo so had no proof whenever I told someone and they looked at me like I was crazy.

Well yesterday, I was back in the area and they were still there!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

These were taken atop Thompson Mesa on the way to Boyer Cabin. There are several others in our area, some saying WELCOME in big block letters, but I don't have photos. Maybe the forest service & game & fish has been infiltrated by kinder, gentler aliens?

Name:  FR 895 to Boyer Cabin 004.jpg
Views: 1636
Size:  81.8 KB

Name:  FR 895 to Boyer Cabin 018.jpg
Views: 1717
Size:  84.8 KB

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

The BLM, NDF and NFS here all have them, and have for quite some time. They have signs that say vehicles are either allowed on existing trails, or they are not allowed at all. Some that are only open to ATV's, horses, etc. are also signed as being so.

I used to have pics of roads with signs similar to the ones above, with rocks across the road around the Mojave Preserve areas. I'll have to find them.

The rocks were put there by the Sierra Club and removed by us, after we were told to by Rangers. The next time we came back, they were there again. So we took the rocks on a journey. We figure they can't fit any that are too big in their Prius's, so hopefully it'd take them awhile to cart some over.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    The BLM, NDF and NFS here all have them, and have for quite some time. They have signs that say vehicles are either allowed on existing trails, or they are not allowed at all. Some that are only open to ATV's, horses, etc. are also signed as being so.

I used to have pics of roads with signs similar to the ones above, with rocks across the road around the Mojave Preserve areas. I'll have to find them.

The rocks were put there by the Sierra Club and removed by us, after we were told to by Rangers. The next time we came back, they were there again. So we took the rocks on a journey. We figure they can't fit any that are too big in their Prius's, so hopefully it'd take them awhile to cart some over.
    As an avid 4x4 enthusiast I find it funny that none of the mentioned gov't groups would more than likely not do a thing to the greenies if they caught them putting the rocks in the way.

The MI DNR can't even tie their own shoes let alone tell you if a trail is OK to take or not. At least not get the same answer out of 2 different officers.

I got a pic here of a sign they placed on a trail showing that it can be used by all; ATVs, cycles, cars, etc. I don't think there are too many cars that would make it over the bumps in it to be honest.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Here's another less friendly sign you'll see out our way.

Name:  A-Cross Road Sign.jpg
Views: 1264
Size:  6.9 KB

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

In my part of the state we have different signs:

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Cool Signs Posted

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    These were taken atop Thompson Mesa on the way to Boyer Cabin. There are several others in our area, some saying WELCOME in big block letters, but I don't have photos. Maybe the forest service & game & fish has been infiltrated by kinder, gentler aliens?

Name:  FR 895 to Boyer Cabin 004.jpg
Views: 1636
Size:  81.8 KB

Name:  FR 895 to Boyer Cabin 018.jpg
Views: 1717
Size:  84.8 KB
    Back in the early 1960s when we made our monthly trips to the old mining town of Ransburg on 395, We always stop to get gas in the town of Boron and then head north up to Red Moutain, we always look over to the right and see Cuddyback Dry Lake off on the east side of our jeep and see red and white Goverment signs posted, that (did not say, do not enter) (Goverment Property ) all it said was (U S Goverment Gunnery Range) Enter at your own risk). But the signs just made us want to check it out all the more. and when we turned off and dove over the dirt roads we always found hundreds of empty machine gun shell caseings laying all over but as soon as we seen and herd low flying aircraft we always hitailed out to 395 and go on over to Randsburg where we sent the week end. Oh! the good old days Well thats our sign story.

Johnnie & Sheila.
    Last edited by Johnnie; 08-23-2007 at 05:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    Here in I-Dee-Ho we have problems with folks gating public
    access to make their own private hunting reserves, camping
    grounds and dope farms. Some will post private property/no
    trespassing signs miles from their own land to create the
    illusion of private property when its not. We've even had miners
    who thought that because they secured the right to placer mine,
    they also had the right to fence rivers so rafters could not pass.

I spoke informally with the BLM and they told me on the QT
    that if I find an illegally gated public road, and I could prove
    it in court, I could use my winch to tear the gate off it's hinges.
    DO NOT TRY THIS unless you have a gazillion dollars, a team
    of attorneys and you are in the right. I carry a small Tupperware
    container with a library of the BLM "land ownership" maps.
    ( add that to the equipment list on the other thread )
    I expect that sooner or later someone is going to try and "bluff
    me" concerning my being on their alleged private property. I will
    pull out the map and have them show me their property line.
    Ah, "the truth shall set you free"!

Note: In most cases, confrontation miles from cell towers, LEO’s
    and ambulance service is a bad thing.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Northern Nevada has the same issues as well Dan. Especially in Elko County, where ranchers turn hunting guides during the season feel they can lock you out from the public access right of ways. I've done the same thing though, pull out a BLM map and ask for them to show me where their property line is. Then you have ranchers/cattlemen that have had their cattle shot at or killed, their gates left open, their fields torn up, etc. by jerk offs that call themselves hunters.

I can understand a few of them doing these things because not all hunters are gate and cattle friendly, butI try to be more descent than they are being and usually they leave me alone once they realize I'm not some average nit wit on his first hunting trip.

As far as the druggies, I have fortunately not had that run in experience yet. Though that is one reason why I am armed when out and about in the boonies. As bad as the meth heads are getting everywhere though, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I do.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Gary BBBBBB (and CG)
    Have I told ya lately I think yer doin' jes a crackerjack job as (co) moderator along with the man about town "COOL GUY?

Thread Information