Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How Often Do You See Signs Like This?

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by mainmanwalkin View Post
    Here's one I saw at the Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park, located next to the Avon Park Bombing Range. I'm glad they tell people if you find one of those 100 pound bombs not to pick it up.

Those can be found around here too. The bombs I mean, not the signs
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

Talking No choice

I admire your cojones! As heavily armed as I am, I've never had the guts to pull such a bold move.
    Had no choice when one is locked inside a gate far up in the mountains miles from home. And yes I had a gun and could maybe shot the lock off, but my big Chevy opened the gate a lot easier and kept it open for others.
    After that I started carrying a pass key that could open most any padlock.
    Its called "bolt cutters."

Or you can always purchase a good lock pick set or two like my husband!

Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkingsticks View Post
    Had no choice when one is locked inside a gate far up in the mountains miles from home. And yes I had a gun and could maybe shot the lock off, but my big Chevy opened the gate a lot easier and kept it open for others.
    After that I started carrying a pass key that could open most any padlock.
    Its called "bolt cutters."

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

These signs are posted all around the areas and outside the mines near Workman Creek, the site of quite a few abandoned Uranium mines. Nice of them to warn us...I wonder if the local critters glow in the dark at night?

Name:  Aztec Peak 006.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  48.4 KB
    Check out the colors in here, it even looks radioactive
    Name:  Aztec Peak 010.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  69.5 KB

Name:  Aztec Peak 011.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  37.2 KB

Wow, scares me and I'm fearless....Speedy

Gravelrash is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

I might camp there, Laura. I could use a third limb.

By the way, what is that small, dark cylindrical object in the last photograph, do you know? Coke?
    "Those were great old days. Everthing is very quiet now, isn't it?" Elfego Baca

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Gravelrash View Post
    By the way, what is that small, dark cylindrical object in the last photograph, do you know? Coke?
    It's an empty water bottle someone threw away .... they must been environmentalists.

Default Big question?

Is that really some one's leg or is just a stunt? We have come across uranium mines not knowing they were, but had a leary suspicion about them and left on our own. Since I once worked in a mine as a youth, I will go into abandoned mines only if I am sure they are safe, but if not I don't. Around here I have been in so many mines I can't count. We always take photos inside the mines and love to take pictures of the bats inside of them.
    We look for snakes, but have never seen any inside of mines, but have been told others have seen balls of rattlesnakes in them all rolled together.

I have been going in mines actually since before I worked in them as it was required on our family's ranch growing up in Arizona when cattle would wander into them.

The one thing I will warn though, is never trust walking across boards over pits inside mines because even if they look stable they could suddenly give way and plunge you to your death hundreds of feet below you in sheer darkness. It happened to a 17 year old boy 16 years ago not far from here.

And never trust getting too close to open mine shafts as the soil can suddenly give way within eight feet of the pit and down you will go.

To test the depth of a shaft, throw a rock in it and count slowly; for every second the rock falls one hundred feet.

If you are inside of a mine and feel dizzy, leave immediately as that is mine gas and deadly.

If the roof looks unstable or beams overhead are cracked, get out as it could cave in.
    And never make loud noises while inside of a mine because any vibrations can cause a cave in, especially in an old abandoned mine.

Also beware of lighting matches or bringing along a lantern as mine gas can cause an explosion.

Always bring an extra flashlight and extra batteries in case the first flashlight goes out.

Walkingsticks, It's only an old tree limb, although looking at it again...it does resemble a leg with a foot and some toes.
    Thanks for the useful information regarding exploring abandoned mines.

Along Loop Road in the Everglades. I'm glad they care about the alligators safety and well being so much.

http://flickr.com/photos/21154890@N03/

Thread Information