Thread: "Reality" show set in New Mexico ghost town

Exclamation "Reality" show set in New Mexico ghost town

I just read a scathing criticism of the forthcoming CBS "reality" show "Kid Nation." The idea is to take 40 kids (ages 8-15) and drop them in a ghost town for 40 days, without any adults around, and with no contact with parents allowed. (And yes, there are tons of problems with child labor laws and the insane contracts the parents had to sign; the show is making news now for those reasons and others.)

Anyway, the ghost town they used is Bonanza City, New Mexico. You can see a promotional video for the show, which includes shots of Bonanza City, on the official web site at CBS.com.

It's interesting that the ghosttowns.com entry for Bonanza City says that nothing remains except the foundation outlines from a few buildings. But the web site video clearly shows a storybook, almost idealized ghost town.

What do you think? Did they build a new "ghost town" and pass it off as Bonanza City? Or was the writeup on ghosttowns.com really so incredibly inaccurate?
    Last edited by Dave Ward; 08-25-2007 at 11:33 PM.

Default Bonanza City

It is a movie set. I believe it is built on the old Bonanza site. Several movies have been filmed there.
    40FORDJIM GHOSTTOWNER SINCE 1965

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Ward View Post
    I just read a scathing criticism of the forthcoming CBS "reality" show "Kid Nation." The idea is to take 40 kids (ages 8-15) and drop them in a ghost town for 40 days, without any adults around, and with no contact with parents allowed. (And yes, there are tons of problems with child labor laws and the insane contracts the parents had to sign; the show is making news now for those reasons and others.)

Anyway, the ghost town they used is Bonanza City, New Mexico. You can see a promotional video for the show, which includes shots of Bonanza City, on the official web site at CBS.com.

It's interesting that the ghosttowns.com entry for Bonanza City says that nothing remains except the foundation outlines from a few buildings. But the web site video clearly shows a storybook, almost idealized ghost town.

What do you think? Did they build a new "ghost town" and pass it off as Bonanza City? Or was the writeup on ghosttowns.com really so incredibly inaccurate?

Oh my God. I'm thinking about the damage they would do!

These are fragile places.

Thread Information