Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zadora, Zee Dora Mine?

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Question Zadora, Zee Dora Mine?

We were told about and went to an old Fluorite mine yesterday. The locals called it the Zadora Mine, but I haven't been able to find any information about it. It's in the McFadden mining district (Gila County, AZ) and the road to it is just a few hundred feet from mile marker #288 on Hwy 288 heading toward Young. We've passed it many times but didn't know there was a mine there, only about a mile and a half off Hwy 288. (4 wheel drive for sure!) I've tried several different spellings, Zee Dora, Zadora, etc., but still no luck.
    Has anyone ever been there or have an idea where else I can look for information? I've already tried the usual sources, Mines and Minerals map, Mindat.org, etc.
    No, I don't have the GPS coordinates for it ... I'm STILL living in the dark ages and change doesn't come easily for me.
    We didn't go into the mine, still too snakey here for me, but we'll go back this winter and see what's inside.

Here are few pictures we took.

Name:  McFadden & Zadora Mine 027.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  45.9 KB

Name:  McFadden & Zadora Mine 032.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  51.2 KB

Name:  McFadden & Zadora Mine 035.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  53.9 KB

Hi Laura!

I don't know if I will be any where close on this one, but the info that I have only shows one flourite mine in the McFadden area. On the topo, it looks to be west of the Young road and southwest of the McFadden lookout. The names given for the mine are: McFadden Peak Fluorspar Mine(Western Fluourspar Mine; Mack group, Mack claims, Jerky group....Plugging that info into Mindat shows that the mine was active from 1975-1979.

Co-ordinates given are N 33.906 and W 110.989

HTH

Toysx2

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Toys, Yes, I believe that's the one...matter of fact we could see the mine from the fire tower on McFadden Peak, the towerman showed it to us through his binoculars. I'm thinking that Zadora Mine wasn't the name registered, maybe for some reason it was just called that. It was probably one of the many mines registered to the Mack group. The dates seem right as well, the mill closed in Tonto Basin about that time, and we were told that there was no longer a place for them to take the fluorite to mill it, making it unprofitable to continue mining. It must have been quite extensive judging by the large piles of tailings all over the place.
    Thanks for your input!

Geat post and pics,Laura.
    I really enjoy looking at old mines. Thanks for sharing.

Kelly
    Socorro N.M.

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Really creepy looking mine there Laura! (Thats a good thing) Please take more pictures when you go back!

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    Toys, Yes, I believe that's the one...matter of fact we could see the mine from the fire tower on McFadden Peak, the towerman showed it to us through his binoculars. I'm thinking that Zadora Mine wasn't the name registered, maybe for some reason it was just called that. It was probably one of the many mines registered to the Mack group. The dates seem right as well, the mill closed in Tonto Basin about that time, and we were told that there was no longer a place for them to take the fluorite to mill it, making it unprofitable to continue mining. It must have been quite extensive judging by the large piles of tailings all over the place.
    Thanks for your input!

Now how could such an easy solution escape so many brilliant minds back then?
    Seems to me when they ran out of places to take the flourite, they should have just called Betty Crocker. I'm sure she would'a taken it.

Quote Originally Posted by brian10x View Post
    Really creepy looking mine there Laura! (Thats a good thing) Please take more pictures when you go back!
    Brian, I've got a few more pictures and short write up in my journal. McFadden Peak & Zadora Mine

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    Brian, I've got a few more pictures and short write up in my journal. McFadden Peak & Zadora Mine
    Great pictures, Laura. Were there any goodies in the storage shed, or are you leaving that for next time?

Brian

We were so paranoid about rattlers we didn't even check inside. They were everywhere, probably snacking on the abundance of ground squirrels in the area. We'll head back during the cold winter months to check further.

Great pics, Laura. Thanks................Speedy

Thread Information