Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cars and the law

Gravelrash is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Default cars and the law

Guys - I'm looking for some boring, practical advice.
    What are the actual mechanics of buying a car, stateside? I mean the paper work and bureacratic wrangling. Who has to be notified of a sale, etc.
    What sort of paper work would I need to provide?
    What taxes, etc?
    Can you buy insurance in "chunks" - say 3 or 6 months?

And one other car related thing.
    I know in the US the steering wheel is on the left, but - the pedals?
    Here, the layout is
    - - -(wheel) -------------[door]
    - clutch - - - brake - gas [door]

same for autos, minus the clutch. I've been "dream driving" (I really do!) and suddenly thought about the pedal configuration. Remember, I only have one foot and it's the right.
    Is your auto configuration
    door- - (wheel)
    door- - - - - brake - -accelerator

This might sound like a dumb question, but if its not like that, I'm in trouble!
    Bob will have to drive from Montana to Arizona!
    I'm worried about the paint fumes.
    (I apologise for the very poor diagramming but, you're all smart enough to figure what I mean)

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Gravelrash View Post
    What are the actual mechanics of buying a car, stateside? I mean the paper work and bureacratic wrangling. Who has to be notified of a sale, etc.
    What taxes, etc?

Here, the layout is

same for autos, minus the clutch. I've been "dream driving" (I really do!) and suddenly thought about the pedal configuration. Remember, I only have one foot and it's the right.
    door- - (wheel)

This might sound like a dumb question, but if its not like that, I'm in trouble!
    (I apologise for the very poor diagramming but, you're all smart enough to figure what I mean)
    The layout is the same here, like you describe.

Sorry, not sure of the rules on purchasing and insurance.

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

What taxes, etc?

Here, the layout is

door- - (wheel)

No problemo with paint fumes, Petey. If I'm driving and start to doze, I just put it on cruise control and wake up when breakfast is ready.
    Last edited by bad bob; 10-16-2007 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brian10x View Post
    The layout is the same here, like you describe.

Sorry, not sure of the rules on purchasing and insurance.
    That's an enormous relief - I can't tell you. I had a bad moment there! Things you never think you'll have to encounter. i thought lossing a leg was bad but....not being able to drive!

Quote Originally Posted by bad bob View Post
    No problemo with paint fumes, Petey. If I'm driving and start to doze, I just put it on cruise control and wake up when breakfast is ready.
    So, if we hear sirens and bells, it's just a breakfast call? I can put up with that.
    I'm not much of a breakfast person - 3 cups of tea is mandatory, or you don't want to talk to me - but I am dying to eat in one of those old American diners.
    "How's your pie today?"
    I'll even order "eggs over easy" just for the experience, even though I'd never eat them.
    I've always detested the humble bum nut.

Talking

So, if we hear sirens and bells, it's just a breakfast call? I can put up with that.
    I'm not much of a breakfast person - 3 cups of tea is mandatory, or you don't want to talk to me - but I am dying to eat in one of those old American diners.
    "How's your pie today?"
    I'll even order "eggs over easy" just for the experience, even though I'd never eat them.
    I've always detested the humble bum nut.
    Eggs over easy is one of my favorite breakfasts. Do they have hashbrowns in Australia? If you go to a breakfast diner anywhere in this country you really should have hashbrowns too --in the south they sometimes offer grits, but they're nothing to brag about IMO

What taxes, etc?
    Unless you plan to finance a vehicle, you dont need to provide tax stubs or any proof of employment. It can be done pretty quick, once you find the right car. Most of the paperwork in buying a car is done on their part at the dealership. I got thru everything in about half an hour.

Of course, not being a citizen I think they may ask extra from you. Have your Drivers License and Passport ready (and some bribe money)

Insurance is different depending on what state you buy in. I can only speak for Florida, but proof of insurance is needed at the time of purchase. However the dealership conveniently will offer their own temp coverage policy ($$$) until a buyer can obtain their own (or transfer from an existing policy). Many Insurance companies offer 6 month policies, although I havent heard of any doing 3 month (but I havent really looked into that before) Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by mainmanwalkin View Post
    Unless you plan to finance a vehicle, you dont need to provide tax stubs or any proof of employment. It can be done pretty quick, once you find the right car. Most of the paperwork in buying a car is done on their part at the dealership. I got thru everything in about half an hour.

Of course, not being a citizen I think they may ask extra from you. Have your Drivers License and Passport ready (and some bribe money)

Insurance is different depending on what state you buy in. I can only speak for Florida, but proof of insurance is needed at the time of purchase. However the dealership conveniently will offer their own temp coverage policy ($$$) until a buyer can obtain their own (or transfer from an existing policy). Many Insurance companies offer 6 month policies, although I havent heard of any doing 3 month (but I havent really looked into that before) Hope this helps!
    Sure does MWM - very useful knowledge. I was hoping it was that painless. God bless America!
    What about private sales?
    If I turn up at Earls trailer and answer the sign that says "fur sale", is that as painless? Well, as painless as dealing with Earl can be?
    Tell me the truth, is trailer trash as depicted on tv? Is there a lot of it about? I'm curious but more afraid of them then bears!
    Not to give the impression we don't have crackers/yokels/hillbillies/white trash - we most assuredly do!

b.t.w - is that old American diner now also a thing of the past?
    Another thing I'd love is to get served a hamburger, in the car, by a girl on roller skates, but I know that's pushing it!

Sure does MWM - very useful knowledge. I was hoping it was that painless. God bless America!
    What about private sales?
    If I turn up at Earls trailer and answer the sign that says "fur sale", is that as painless? Well, as painless as dealing with Earl can be?
    Tell me the truth, is trailer trash as depicted on tv? Is there a lot of it about? I'm curious but more afraid of them then bears!
    Not to give the impression we don't have crackers/yokels/hillbillies/white trash - we most assuredly do!
    If you buy from a private seller, usually all they want is full payment on the spot, and they will sign over the title to you. I is important that you get the title when you buy a car like that. Do NOT let them tell you they are "selling it for their buddy" or that it belongs to their brother, OR that there is no title. This may sound obvious, but do not pay or buy a car from a private dealer without first inspecting the title.

Also, don't let them tell you they need to keep the license plate. The plate belongs to the vehicle, not the owner.

Those are tips to avoid potentially buying a stolen car. Aside from that part, you dont need to provide proof of insurance or really anything else, including possibly even showing them ID.

Yes, parts of this country have an abundance of trailer trash. "Real" trailer trash is supposed to be the southern rednecks who live in trailers with rebel flags on the window, beer cans in the front yard, and broken down cars that they are always working on. But I've got nothing against the confederate flag or beer. And Im sure different regions of the country have their own versions of trailer trash. By the way, as bad as the trailer guys may be, just check out the women!

Thread Information