Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: cars and the law

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Rockcrusher View Post
    Depends on the state. In California, the plate stays with the car. Here in Nevada & also Arizona the seller keeps the plate. Not sure about the rest.

Actually, unless they are to be swapped over to a another unregistered car, we have to return them to the DMV so they can re-issue the number quicker.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Gravelrash View Post
    Guys - I'm looking for some boring, practical advice.
    What are the actual mechanics of buying a car, stateside? I mean the paper work and bureacratic wrangling. Who has to be notified of a sale, etc.
    What sort of paper work would I need to provide?
    What taxes, etc?
    Can you buy insurance in "chunks" - say 3 or 6 months?
    I can only quote to what we in Nevada have to deal with. Taxes are paid at the time of registration here. It will be X amount if brand new, then pro-rated a percentage back to a fixed number, IIRC $30 or something. To register, you need proof of insurance, a title or copy of if you are paying a car off (buying a new/used car from a dealer). You also have to be a resident, or at least have a physical address, likely the same story for the insurance.

As for insurance, you can find places that let you pay monthly, 3 months or 6 months. Most won't take more than 6 months so they can adjust (gouge) your rates as necessary.

A tip- Not sure if this applies in every state (sure it does) but insurance is based on the zip code you use for your physical addy. So the rural areas tend to be cheaper. Same with registration, as it's usually based per county.

You might get screwed being a non-legalized visitor, with no background history of driving here. I'd seriously look into coverage over there that might carry over to here (US). In Nevada, the insurance company has to be licensed here to be legal to use. I'm sure some of the bigger insurance companies we have here are over there too. I'd also not tell them you only plan on visiting for a short time, they will likely jack you around on that issue.

Here's our DMV site for more help/ideas: http://dmvnv.com/
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

Gravelrash is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    You might get screwed being a non-legalized visitor, with no background history of driving here. I'd seriously look into coverage over there that might carry over to here (US).
    Good advise, Gary. I think that's the way to go. I laughed when you added (gouge) to your comment on fees/costs. If there's anything lower than insurance salesmen and lawyers....it's a snakes belly!

I'd also not tell them you only plan on visiting for a short time, they will likely jack you around on that issue.
    I'd figured that might be the case. I'll tell them I'm a new partner in "Badbob House Painting, International, Inc" and ....don't upset the boss!

b.t.w - how does an illegal immigrant get a car, once they feel safe? (Seriously, how do they do it? Just not bother with the legalities? I am extremely interested in this phenomenon of illegals....I thought you were building a fence?)

b.t.w - how does an illegal immigrant get a car, once they feel safe? (Seriously, how do they do it? Just not bother with the legalities? I am extremely interested in this phenomenon of illegals....I thought you were building a fence?)
    Fake ID's for one. You don't have to have a license to register a car. Or at least I have never been asked for mine.

Word is they keep getting temporary tags every month under a new name. How the DMV don't catch it I don't know, but the cops are nailing them.

Also heard here that asking hispanic looking people for insurance is now considered a stereo type problem. So Metro can't ask them if they have insurance or not, but they can me.

The wall is a joke. Likely will be done by Haliburton, take 50 years and cost $500 trillion and you could still toss a cow through it.

Enforcement of current laws is the only answer. And likely a few less liberals too.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Judging by the auto theft statistics in Arizona, I guess we know the answer to that question.

Name:  Border fence.JPG
Views: 94
Size:  17.5 KB

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Talking

Your earlier quote about lawyers and snake's bellys causes me to believe you're just jerkin' my chain when you say you might come to Oklahoma. After all, us Aussies and Okies have got one thing in common. The folks who showed up to settle Australia and Oklahoma didn't all just show up. Many were on the lamb, and the rest would have been but hadn't been found out yet. I guess you're still invited anyways

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Good advise, Gary. I think that's the way to go. I laughed when you added (gouge) to your comment on fees/costs. If there's anything lower than insurance salesmen and lawyers....it's a snakes belly!

I'd figured that might be the case. I'll tell them I'm a new partner in "Badbob House Painting, International, Inc" and ....don't upset the boss!

In Arizona, you don't have to show proof of insurance.

YES, you must have it, but NO you don't have to show any proof when registering.

Nothing wrong with using my address as a mail drop, as I see it.

I'm more than happy to help out, Mr. Rash, but just to be perfectly clear, you aren't staying here, we aren't hugging, and there is not to be any sharing of man juices.

No, you can't use the toilet.

Unless you bring me a wife. Then we'll see.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information