Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Watson, Oregon.

Thumbs up Great Pictures!

Thanks for sharing. We spend a lot of time in that area, but always on the other side of the river. Here is a look to some of my pictures. This is at the Griffin Ranch up river from Watson.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2...vhost=outdoors

This sounds like a cool place to go although I dont see it listed as a ghost town in Malheur Co. How do you get there?

Default Watson - Location

Quote Originally Posted by Washco View Post
    This sounds like a cool place to go although I dont see it listed as a ghost town in Malheur Co. How do you get there?
    The old Watson townsite is located north of Jordan Craters. Follow this link:

http://idahoatv.org/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=237

According to my information, Watson is spread out along the Owyhee River upstream from waypoint #11 on the map including the bend of the river.

I am going to do some extensive exploration next Spring in this area and should have some GPS coordinates to post.

I am a newbie to this forum, but I am delighted to find other folks who enjoy exploring remote parts of the Owyhees. Hope to visit the cemetary. It looks like someone does at least minimal maintenance on it?

Default Watson again

Some photos of the Watson area to add to those that George posted. Also a thanks to SaraL for her great pics. I need to spend more time on that side of the river. Never enough time. These attached pictures are of the upper Owyhee Reservoir & the Watson site from the rim, the waterwheel at Island Ranch, ranch buildings and one of a root cellar. Island Ranch is a suburb a couple of miles upstream from Watson. For those who don't know, eastern Oregon is famous for its rocks. Check out the lava in the one photo! Access is from either the west or east side of the reservoir (ATV or Jeep). The water was low enough this fall that we could go in from the east and out on the west. Lots of fun. Next time will camp a couple of days and take a closer look. Didn't make the walk to the cemetery but hope to next time. Time time, never enough time. Long live the ghost town and abandoned homesteads! You gotta love 'em!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Default Great pics!

Looks like a very interesting spot...thanks for sharing!
    Dave Blair

Really great pics, thanks for posting them.......Speedy

Wow, been a while since I have checked on the post. Cool new pictures. See ya out there.....
    George
    Boise, ID

I have family buried in the cemetary in Watson, my ancestors used to run the place called Spring Creek Place and I am trying to find a map to get in there either by vehicle or atv

Quote Originally Posted by shuffman View Post
    I have family buried in the cemetary in Watson, my ancestors used to run the place called Spring Creek Place and I am trying to find a map to get in there either by vehicle or atv
    I can furnish you a map to Watson, but be aware if you access Watson from the south side of the Owyhee Reservoir, you should use an ATV with high clearance and 4WD. The lower end of the road in Blue Canyon has several washouts that require extreme caution. I would not recommend going in there with anything other than an ATV or UTV.

Check out this link to see a few segments of the lower end: http://cid-f7776f5ca8560757.skydrive.../Blue%20Canyon

Thread Information