Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Watson, Oregon.

My Great Grand Father(Miller Page) and Great Grand Mother(Janet Page) are buried in Watson. I've near been there. I'm also planning a trip to Watson. Please send the map information, showing the best route in. Also, are there certain places to make sure I see?

Quote Originally Posted by dpage View Post
    My Great Grand Father(Miller Page) and Great Grand Mother(Janet Page) are buried in Watson. I've near been there. I'm also planning a trip to Watson. Please send the map information, showing the best route in. Also, are there certain places to make sure I see?
    Check out this link: http://cid-f7776f5ca8560757.skydrive...omRichUpload=1

I have included the major waypoints to get you to Watson. If you are not familiar with this area, use Google Earth or similar map software to find the general area via any of those waypoints. Note that this map is not complete. I will make another trip into Watson this spring to finish the map and log all the old homesteads with GPS software.

While you are in the vicinity, you should visit "Jordan Craters". I you ever wanted to walk inside of volcano, that's the place to do it.

Agatex did you make it to Watson this year to gps the homestead sites?

I didn't exactly get to Watson, but on a recent trip to S. Idaho, I did make a trip to Owyhee reservoir and up the lake as far as the road goes to the last boat launching site. It is apparent that this was a very unpleasant place to exist millions of years ago, as it seems the volcanic layers must have been laid down for a long time. Here is a photo I shot looking up the lake, just for reference.

You cannot cross the dam any longer (homeland security and all that), so a good shot of the dam is not possible, but maybe would be if you took the lower road below the dam, which we didn't. Quite an impressive structure considering it was built in 1914 as I recall.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

someone should write up the info about Watson and submit it with pictures so its included as an Oregon Ghost Town.

We went up there for a scout campout this summer and the water was high enough that we were able to boat in past Leslie Gulch up to the Hot Springs, and walk about a mile up the shoreline, and then in a little bit to the old cemetery. It was a very rewarding experience, and we fished and cliff jumped for the rest of the day. We also saw two coyotes when we drove past. I love that country up there.

Quote Originally Posted by dpage View Post
    Agatex did you make it to Watson this year to gps the homestead sites?
    Sorry about the late post, but I am no longer able to get into the old town of Watson. The road into Watson is washed out to a point that it is too dangerous for me to get there even with an ATV. Iíll leave that GPS data campaign to someone much younger than me.

Made another trip into the Watson area this last weekend. Came in from Leslie Gulch. The reservoir is really low so I was able to drive all the way up to the hot springs which is just down stream form the cemetery. Good day to be out and found a couple of other cool structures that would normally be underwater. I included a video link of our trip down through Succor Creek Canyon and Leslie Gulch and along the reservoir. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wB6...ature=youtu.be
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    George
    Boise, ID

If anyone is interested here.

Craters and Canyons coming Feb 27.
    Date: February 27
    Time: 6:30 am
    Meet Place: Lowes parking lot 305 W Overland Rd, Meridian.
    Destination: Jordan Craters/Owyhee Canyon
    Estimated Duration: Full day
    Distance/Round Trip: 250.00 miles, 6.18 hours drive time estimated
    First stop Cow Lake recreation area. Small camp spot to check out maybe for future use. Then if you are ready for some wheeling adventures it is time to see the Owyhee Canyon. Of course to see it proper you must first traverse the road down into the canyon. And what will we see when we get down there? Well some hearty souls once lived down here in the early 1900's and they left us some places to check out. Then, if time permits, on to Jordan Craters, a cool spot to walk around and see different lava flows and of course the crater itself.

Plan on a good long day. Trip calculations come in at just a little over 6 hours of drive time, this includes driving into Jordan Valley for a fuel stop. Most of the trip is scenic and/or fun. Good tires are required for the Canyon road. I lost two street tires when I went in last time. Not fun..... A understanding of basic off road driving skills will be required for this stretch of road. Weather at this time could be good or bad and roads could have snow or mud. Come prepared for what ever is out there.

George
    Boise, ID

How's the road up? I'd like to try to make up there this summer if possible.
    Pacific Northwest Ghost Town Travel Blog: http://pnwphotoblog.com/ghost-towns/
    Ghost Town Map: http://ghosttownmap.com/

Thread Information