Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Animal Encounters

Default Animal Encounters

Has anyone had any encounters with wildlife while out ghosttown hunting? I've seen this dicussion come up at various times in different threads and it's a very interesing subject.

(I posted parts of this one below on another topic)

From time to time I've come across alligators, snakes, birds, and big cats during my Florida ghost town hunting. It's usually always a memorable encounter.

I've seen a few gators swimming along in ponds and lakes when I've been out ghost town hunting. I saw one swimming in a marshy area of Torrey Island when I was searching for Geerworth, and another in a small pond when I found the site of Lokosee. This is the truth, it's better to see them than to hear one and not know where it is.

Once when my girlfriend and I were leaving Koreshan we stopped along the side of the road and got out to watch the sunset. Soon enough I heard the distinct alligator sounds nearby in the bushes across from the car.

Last december on a ghost town trip when visiting Kenansville (on the GT site) My girlfriend and I had driven out to the cemetery and as soon as we went thru the entrance we saw this big orange cat take off running, jump over the old chain link fence and disappear into the woods. It happened too quick for me to really identify it, other than to see that it was an adult big cat of some sort.

Most recently we spotted two Perigrine Falcons standing in the road along a remote part of the middle of the state. They didnt even move as we drove up, instead making us swerve out of their way! (this also may explain the dead one we saw that same day)
    Last edited by mainmanwalkin; 10-30-2007 at 09:43 PM.

Default Animal Encounters

No,I haven't,but it is a good idea to keep your eyes open and be alert.
    Around here in south Texas,you can find armadillos,skunks, scorpions, bees, javalinas(wild pigs) bats and rattlesnakes among other critters.
    i would be worried more about snakes and scorpions than armadillos.
    Wonder if anyone has had encounters with animals?

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by mainmanwalkin View Post
    Has anyone had any encounters with wildlife while out ghosttown hunting? I've seen this dicussion come up at various times in different threads and it's a very interesing subject.

(I posted parts of this one below on another topic)

From time to time I've come across alligators, snakes, birds, and big cats during my Florida ghost town hunting. It's usually always a memorable encounter.

I've seen a few gators swimming along in ponds and lakes when I've been out ghost town hunting. I saw one swimming in a marshy area of Torrey Island when I was searching for Geerworth, and another in a small pond when I found the site of Lokosee. This is the truth, it's better to see them then to hear one and not know where it is.

Once when my girlfriend and I were leaving Koreshan we stopped along the side of the road and got out to watch the sunset. Soon enough I heard the distinct alligator sounds nearby in the bushes across from the car.

Last december on a ghost town trip when visiting Kenansville (on the GT site) My girlfriend and I had driven over the cemetery and as soon as we went thru the entrance we saw this big orange cat take off running, jump over the old chain link fence and disappear into the woods. It happened to quick for me to really identify it, other than to see that it was an adult big cat of some sort.

Most recently we spotted two Perigrine Falcons standing in the road along a remote part of the middle of the state. They didnt even move as we drove up, instead making us swerve out of their way! (this also may explain the dead one we saw that same day)
    Here in Southern Arizona I've encountered javelina,deer, a snake or three, rabbits, and illegal aliens.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gravelrash is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Quote Originally Posted by HollyDolly View Post
    Wonder if anyone has had encounters with animals?
    Does getting chased by a wild elephant count, Dolly? It was nearly 10 years ago, and I can still hear him!!

Dang....they fast!!
    "Those were great old days. Everthing is very quiet now, isn't it?" Elfego Baca

Quote Originally Posted by brian10x View Post
    Here in Southern Arizona I've encountered ...... illegal aliens.
    Did you need "tags" for that too, Brian?

Quote Originally Posted by Gravelrash View Post
    Did you need "tags" for that too, Brian?
    Shoot and release?
    ECV #3

Quote Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
    Shoot and release?
    LOL - that must be it, Rastus, 'cause they seem to keep coming back!
    At least down here they can't walk over the border, they hafta swim from Indonesian fishing boats!
    Or the Govt just lets 'em in, if they've got a good story!
    Australia - Mecca of the far South.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

The only really scary encounter with a critter we've had was when we were looking for the Blue Bird Mine. We were driving along, with the windows open and I had my hand hanging out of the window. As we passed an embankment right next to the Jeep on a very narrow road, we heard a loud buzz, just as a rattler struck out...right at window level. Evidently he was sunning himself on the embankment and we startled him. He was extremely angry when we backed up to look at him. I've learned not to hang my hand out of the window.
    We've seen lots of critters, a Cougar, numerous rattlers, a Coatimundi, a Gila Monster (they're very illusive, we were fortunate to see one) eagles of all kinds, hawks, White-tailed Deer, Mule Deer, two Big Horn Sheep and some adorable owls, huge Jack Rabbits, skunks, raccoons, coyotes, tarantulas, scorpions (several times we've had scorpions in our house) and loads of Javelina. Still waiting to see an Elk here but I'm sure that'll come eventually.

Name:  Quartz Ledge Gold Mine 004.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  64.5 KB

Name:  Barn Owls off A-Cross 018.jpg
Views: 1204
Size:  73.9 KB
    This is the rattler that "jumped" at the Jeep. It's difficult to see him in this photo, but he's a big one.
    Name:  Greenback, Blue Bird & snake 021.jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  57.8 KB

This is the rattler that "jumped" at the Jeep. It's difficult to see him in this photo, but he's a big one.
    Not wrong, Laura - he's a big 'un! Nasty tempers on those boys!

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Did Laura get a new hat band???

Thread Information