Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ghost towns & not ghost towns of New Mexico

Default Ghost towns & not ghost towns of New Mexico

I have been just about all over Catron, Sierra, Grant, Lincoln, Luna and Socorro counties to ghost towns. We have Hidago County yet to go.
    Dona Ana County has hardly any ghost towns.
    We have also been to Cibola County as well as Torrance County. And we have been over in eastern and southern Arizona seeing a few. We have about run out of ghost towns to see.
    There are several ghost towns we found that are not listed in any ghost town guides or maps, yet several once had post offices; Andrews, Marion, Palomas Gap, Victoria, Percha City, Gold Dust, Wicks, Richmond, Cutter, Gama, Steins, Malone, Rosedale, Graham, Jicarilla, Three Rivers, Horse Springs, Cookes Peak, Flanders, La Petra, Kelly, Coalburg and several more.

The following are not ghost towns, but listed as such, but people live in them year around: Magdalena, Mogollon, Hillsboro, Kingston, Chloride, Winston, Mangus and Queen.

These towns are full of people and some have even have shopping centers and high schools.

Interesting report, Walkin Stick, and very impressive that you've been around so much of New Mexico. Are you going to list any of the undocumented ones you found on the Ghosttown site here?

Default Old NM towns

Over time I will, but I am currently writing a book about them called "Walkingsticks," which is the user name I use.

I work on the book between camping trips.
    I did post a thread on Cooks, Hadley and Jose today on this forum.

We are planning to go either back into the San Mateos to look at a pioneer log cabin used by a gold prospector or to the Goat Ranch and hike the Silver Road which is an abandoned trail where mules carried out bars of silver from the silver mines after they were smeltered near the mining sites in hopes we find some bars as another ghost towner we know has found two bars each worth $375 in the general area.

Default Is Colmor really Levy

I am looking for a New Mexico Ghost Town expert. I just looked at the photos and description of Colmor New Mexico on this site and unless I am mistaken someone confused Colmor with Levi (Levy) New Mexico. Can some one that has seen both let me know?

THANKS
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

I used to live at Horse Springs, NM. Up in the hills, there are a lot of old cabin sites. In one canyon, on the road to Pie Town, there is an old logging camp, almost a town. There were still parts of the mill, and probably 8 or 10 houses still or partially still standing. Used to have a lot of trouble with hunters going in there. Still really wild country.

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Walkingsticks View Post
    I have been just about all over Catron, Sierra, Grant, Lincoln, Luna and Socorro counties to ghost towns. We have Hidago County yet to go.
    Dona Ana County has hardly any ghost towns.
    We have also been to Cibola County as well as Torrance County. And we have been over in eastern and southern Arizona seeing a few. We have about run out of ghost towns to see.
    There are several ghost towns we found that are not listed in any ghost town guides or maps, yet several once had post offices; Andrews, Marion, Palomas Gap, Victoria, Percha City, Gold Dust, Wicks, Richmond, Cutter, Gama, Steins, Malone, Rosedale, Graham, Jicarilla, Three Rivers, Horse Springs, Cookes Peak, Flanders, La Petra, Kelly, Coalburg and several more.

The following are not ghost towns, but listed as such, but people live in them year around: Magdalena, Mogollon, Hillsboro, Kingston, Chloride, Winston, Mangus and Queen.

These towns are full of people and some have even have shopping centers and high schools.

Yep I agree with MMW, nice report. I'd correct one minor error, however. Those towns you call "not ghost towns" are still indeed ghost towns, as there are several GT classifications.

You may have been referring to towns completely devoid of residents, in which case then you're quite correct.

Quote Originally Posted by bad bob View Post
    Those towns you call "not ghost towns" are still indeed ghost towns, as there are several GT classifications.

You may have been referring to towns completely devoid of residents, in which case then you're quite correct.
    The folks of Hillsboro and Kingston really don't like their towns being referred to as ghost towns. I've have heard this from the residents themselves.

In fact, I've actually had visitors come to the town in which I am the caretaker, and tell me they are disappointed that those two towns were inhabited.

Kathy
    Kathy

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Cool

And?????The point????? The fact is, Kingston and Hillsboro aren't really Ghost Towns. So I have spoken. Does that make it better? I could be wrong, but it would be the first time...Right, Honey? OJ
    Last edited by old judge; 03-19-2009 at 11:58 AM.

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by LV Caretaker View Post
    The folks of Hillsboro and Kingston really don't like their towns being referred to as ghost towns. I've have heard this from the residents themselves.

In fact, I've actually had visitors come to the town in which I am the caretaker, and tell me they are disappointed that those two towns were inhabited.

Kathy

No way to please everyone, Kathy. And it doesn't really matter if the town residents like it or not.

Those places happen to fall under one of the GT classes, estab long ago. Unhappy residents trying to micro-manage their town's status must not have many better things to do (IMO).

Likewise with those who complain that "ghost towns" shouldn't have ANY residents.

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Wink

Bad Bob...When I asked "Right Honey", I wasn't referring to you. At least I hope not. Old Judge

Thread Information