Thread: Lake Gulch, CO

Default Lake Gulch, CO

Lake Gulch is located in Gilpin County Colorado and is southeast of Central City, just off the OMiGod Road that goes to Idaho Springs.

Lake Gulch was located along a deep gulch which extended from a lake now known as Dry Lake. Much of the Dry Lake area is now a parking lot for condos and overnight campers.

The town was the first in Gilpin County to have a school building, which was still in use in 1905, when the outside was bricked over. School was held only in the summer due to difficult winters and terrible roads into the place. The gold ore mined there was not particularly valuable and mining in the Gulch faded out slowly. The last resident of Lake Gulch was an old hermit who died sometime in the late 1940's or early 1950's. Along with his ramshackle cabin, he was noted for his lack of awareness about the outside world. During World War II the hermit visited a grocery store in Idaho Springs to buy supplies. When asked for his ration points, which he knew nothing about, he pointed a gun at the grocer and forced him to take cash, after which the hermit departed peacefully for home.

Lake Gulch was the site of one of the two hangings that took place in Gilpin County. Solomon Kennedy ina drunken rage killed a local shopkeeper on April 11, 1861. Two days later, he confessed before over 1000 people who has gathered to see his trial. He was quickly found guilty by a miners' court and the sentence was promptly carried out.

Along Lake Gulch today, the schoolhouse still stands next to the Central Parkway, but it can not be seen from there. The hermit's shack is visible from the Parkway and other old mine buildings and sheds are visible along the gulch road. You can reach Black Hawk by turning left onto the north road that leads to the Miner's Mesa parking lot, from which some of the old buildings of Mountain City are also visible.

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by George Snyder View Post
    Lake Gulch is located in Gilpin County Colorado and is southeast of Central City, just off the OMiGod Road that goes to Idaho Springs.

Lake Gulch was located along a deep gulch which extended from a lake now known as Dry Lake. Much of the Dry Lake area is now a parking lot for condos and overnight campers.

The town was the first in Gilpin County to have a school building, which was still in use in 1905, when the outside was bricked over. School was held only in the summer due to difficult winters and terrible roads into the place. The gold ore mined there was not particularly valuable and mining in the Gulch faded out slowly. The last resident of Lake Gulch was an old hermit who died sometime in the late 1940's or early 1950's. Along with his ramshackle cabin, he was noted for his lack of awareness about the outside world. During World War II the hermit visited a grocery store in Idaho Springs to buy supplies. When asked for his ration points, which he knew nothing about, he pointed a gun at the grocer and forced him to take cash, after which the hermit departed peacefully for home.

Lake Gulch was the site of one of the two hangings that took place in Gilpin County. Solomon Kennedy ina drunken rage killed a local shopkeeper on April 11, 1861. Two days later, he confessed before over 1000 people who has gathered to see his trial. He was quickly found guilty by a miners' court and the sentence was promptly carried out.

Along Lake Gulch today, the schoolhouse still stands next to the Central Parkway, but it can not be seen from there. The hermit's shack is visible from the Parkway and other old mine buildings and sheds are visible along the gulch road. You can reach Black Hawk by turning left onto the north road that leads to the Miner's Mesa parking lot, from which some of the old buildings of Mountain City are also visible.

Alright George...welcome and thanks for the info.

BTW, Central City is yet another place I'd truly love to visit. All the photos I've seen are very enticing, with IIRC, the town in sort of a circular setting, and a narrow-guage train. You mentioned Blackhawk briefly, and is/was another must-see when in the area.
    My daughter and I were on the narrow 2-lane road to CC from I-70, but the traffic was brutal, and the hour was getting late, so we turned around after less than 5 miles, and continued on into Denver.

There's prob already a few pics on both CC and Blackhawk here on the CO page, but George, if you have a (digital) camera, I'd LOVE to see some updated shots of both historic towns. However, in lieu of pics, a written narrative would be interesting to me also.

And Pete, here's some more places to "dogear" on your maps.

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Just checked out the 2 towns on the CO page here, and found the opposite of what I expected.

First: The pics of CC are good, Delores Steele is a veteran shutterbug. They are a bit small, and don't show the more dramatic panoramic overview of the town that really nails it's essence. There are several good shots of individual bldgs.

Last: There's quite a few updated shots of Blackhawk, that if labelled correctly, show some new construction there. For some reason, I thought Blackhawk was in decline, and could even make the "endangered list". So much for speculation.

Gravelrash is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Quote Originally Posted by bad bob View Post
    Alright George...welcome and thanks for the info.

BTW, Central City is yet another place I'd truly love to visit. All the photos I've seen are very enticing, with IIRC, the town in sort of a circular setting, and a narrow-guage train. You mentioned Blackhawk briefly, and is/was another must-see when in the area.
    My daughter and I were on the narrow 2-lane road to CC from I-70, but the traffic was brutal, and the hour was getting late, so we turned around after less than 5 miles, and continued on into Denver.

There's prob already a few pics on both CC and Blackhawk here on the CO page, but George, if you have a (digital) camera, I'd LOVE to see some updated shots of both historic towns. However, in lieu of pics, a written narrative would be interesting to me also.

And Pete, here's some more places to "dogear" on your maps.
    Bob - I have Central City placemarked as a "must see" on my ridiculously overcrowded GoogleEarth map, and nearby Nevadaville as well. I'm also hoping to see the Argo Mine in Idaho Springs, as I'm really interested to see "how they do it" in comparison to Aussie mines. It looks great.
    I'm also hoping to drive Guanella Pass and just moosey around the mountains there. I've gotta go to the Bucksnort Saloon in Sphinx Park (??)on a Saturday night, (just for the experience mind!) before heading over to Chafee County and all the gt's in that area.
    I don't know how I'll ever force myself out of Colorado. Heaven on a stick, to this flatlander.

However, armed with my recently-delivered, 100% genuine, all-American, '08 Rand McNally Road Atlas of America - (a real thing of beauty) - I'm in the process of trying to plot a feasible route that allows me to get in as many gt's and scenic wonders as possible, but it's no easy task, deciding what is and what isn't possible. The rise and rise of the Aussie dollar is cause for genuine excitement!! More miles per gallon.
    I always had the idea that USA gas was expensive, mainly because you hear lots of Americans complaining ( ), but I now know your gas is really cheap, compared to ours, so I don't have that concern any longer. Fill'er up! (As of today we are paying the equivalent of $5:70 a gallon, so hush up now and count your blessings!)

George, ditto from me. That was a great post and I'd like to ask for more!
    b.t.w Bob, those links are proving to be a "gold mine". Many thanks. I've been reading till the eyes turn red and fall out. Wife says the American accent is coming along just fine!
    "Those were great old days. Everthing is very quiet now, isn't it?" Elfego Baca

Thread Information